Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You clearly have an image in your mind of a snarling, ignorant, racist thug, spouting bile and venom and ready for a fight. Not an appetising picture I admit and sadly I did see some of these characters at Wembley on Saturday! It is an obvious stereotype and a popular one.
A less obvious but equally obnoxious stereotype are the ' CRIMANABLES ' ( Chiswick.Richmond. Islington. Metropolitans. Anti Northerners. Anti Brexit. Liberal. Elite. Snowflakes ) Both stereotypes are at the edges of Brexit and Remain. One is in your face, arrogant, judgemental and unpleasant. The other is behind your back, arrogant, judgemental and unpleasant. It is a matter of opinion.

Criminables isn’t going to catch on. Way too clunky.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Your Leave supporting chums include the worst of the worst of society and that's just a fact. Not an opinion.

No. That is an opinion.
You clearly have an image in your mind of a snarling, ignorant, racist thug, spouting bile and venom and ready for a fight. Not an appetising picture I admit and sadly I did see some of these characters at Wembley on Saturday! It is an obvious stereotype and a popular one.
A less obvious but equally obnoxious stereotype are the ' CRIMANABLES ' ( Chiswick.Richmond. Islington. Metropolitans. Anti Northerners. Anti Brexit. Liberal. Elite. Snowflakes ) Both stereotypes are at the edges of Brexit and Remain. One is in your face, arrogant, judgemental and unpleasant. The other is behind your back, arrogant, judgemental and unpleasant. It is a matter of opinion.

The only thing I have found that seems to unite all those that voted leave, is the inability to answer a simple question.

So, which did you vote for, Customs Union or Hard Border ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
What challenges for small businesses? I'd be interested to know what they are....

Well lets start with the proposed changes to EU rules, which would reduce the VAT exemption threshold, from annual taxable turnover of £85k to £76700. The People's Vote Campaign for a second referendum said the change would force 00's of 000's of businesses to put VAT on their products and services for the first time. ( See the terms within the Withdrawal Agreement and also its effect on N.I )

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well lets start with the proposed changes to EU rules, which would reduce the VAT exemption threshold, from annual taxable turnover of £85k to £76700. The People's Vote Campaign for a second referendum said the change would force 00's of 000's of businesses to put VAT on their products and services for the first time. ( See the terms within the Withdrawal Agreement and also its effect on N.I )

Poor effort 1/10. You can do better than that....

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes I know plenty of silly claims on all sides, see half a million more unemployed, Calais camps moved to Kent, an immediate recession that [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] kept repeating even when the facts showed otherwise, WW3 etc. But your examples don't support Limpzero's claim that the leave campaign said we could have all the benefits of EU membership without any of the obligations.

If you want to claim that the basic Brexit product offered to the voters didn't involve us retaining the benefits of membership - including, crucially, the open access to the single market as forecast by DD - whilst discarding the obligations then please do carry on. And if you want to obsess about my use of a predetermining pronoun, then that's fine too - I'm satisfied you know exactly what was meant.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If we do actually go forward with the European elections :)facepalm:) three years after voting to leave will all the Europhiles that have suddenly appeared put down their copies of the Guardian and actually get of their privileged backsides and finally support this 'vital' EU democratic institution?

Tragic stereotyping.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You clearly have an image in your mind of a . Not an appetising picture I admit and sadly I did see some of these characters at Wembley on Saturday! It is an obvious stereotype and a popular one.

The problem with the Brexit campaigners is that you have the snarling, ignorant, racist thug, spouting bile and venom and ready for a fight lot controlled by the uncatchy CRIMINABLES such as Rees Mog and Boris. Even you don't seem to favour that. There's time to change your mind.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The only thing I have found that seems to unite all those that voted leave, is the inability to answer a simple question.

So, which did you vote for, Customs Union or Hard Border ?

I didn't vote Leave. There, that answers a simple question.
Unlike many on here, I can maintain a balanced view on both sides of the argument. I come from a generation that learnt how to accept other opinions and decisions, even if you didn't agree with them. I have a view that the EU doesn't have a long term future. Now I accept that that doesn't fit in with the views of many of the European Nationalists on here, who believe it will continue ad infinitum. I regard myself as British not European and I can see short/medium term benefits of remaining in the EU but also the longer term benefits of leaving. Many cannot. Many are not prepared to endure any diminution of their living standard to achieve longer term gain. I accept that.
I left school before we joined the Common Market and I have seen all the changes along the way. The biggest problem isn't the EU itself, its the power crazed idiots running it.
I know its difficult for many of the' one-eyed ' on this thread to accept that I can pick holes in both sides of the argument or equally find benefits in both leaving or staying but that is where I am. For me, the ideal scenario would be another 3 years in and then out before the shit hits the fan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If we do actually go forward with the European elections :)facepalm:) three years after voting to leave will all the Europhiles that have suddenly appeared put down their copies of the Guardian and actually get of their privileged backsides and finally support this 'vital' EU democratic institution?

I can guarantee no one will be getting of their privileged backsides.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I didn't vote Leave. There, that answers a simple question.
Unlike many on here, I can maintain a balanced view on both sides of the argument. I come from a generation that learnt how to accept other opinions and decisions, even if you didn't agree with them. I have a view that the EU doesn't have a long term future. Now I accept that that doesn't fit in with the views of many of the European Nationalists on here, who believe it will continue ad infinitum. I regard myself as British not European and I can see short/medium term benefits of remaining in the EU but also the longer term benefits of leaving. Many cannot. Many are not prepared to endure any diminution of their living standard to achieve longer term gain. I accept that.
I left school before we joined the Common Market and I have seen all the changes along the way. The biggest problem isn't the EU itself, its the power crazed idiots running it.
I know its difficult for many of the' one-eyed ' on this thread to accept that I can pick holes in both sides of the argument or equally find benefits in both leaving or staying but that is where I am. For me, the ideal scenario would be another 3 years in and then out before the shit hits the fan.

Thanks for that honest answer. (And given what you have said, I'm fascinated to know what you did vote and why, but that's just me being nosy :wink:) and interestingly, it sounds as if we are both from a similar, if not same, generation.

So, if the ideal scenario is another 3 years in and then out before the shit hits the fan, is that a Customs Union out or a Hard Border out ?

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Thanks for that honest answer. (And given what you have said, I'm fascinated to know what you did vote and why, but that's just me being nosy :wink:).

So, if the ideal scenario is another 3 years in and then out before the shit hits the fan, is that a Customs Union out or a Hard Border out ?

Oh fck off...you've had my answer and I need to get on with some work. My staff think I am in my office doing something really important not garbling on about bloody Brexit.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Guardian - generally read by teachers, social workers and media types
Telegraph - generally written and read by the landed gentry, public school boys and the business elite.

But there's a nice, simple, answer to this, which is that I've always voted in the EU Elections and will again when they happen in May :kiss:

Furthermore, given that Farage was an MEP, they seem to equally appeal to the sort of Gammons who profess to be unable to stand them.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Oh fck off...you've had my answer and I need to get on with some work. My staff think I am in my office doing something really important not garbling on about bloody Brexit.

I am so glad that we have balanced mature people such as yourself, 'that learnt how to accept other opinions and decisions', giving well considered contributions to the discussion (and no, you haven't given an answer at all) :wave:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Literally two posts after you proclaim yourself as unusually balanced and capable of seeing the other point of view, you lose your temper simply because someone pulled you up for a half-arsed answer. You're no better than anyone else on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:lolol:

Let’s hope it’s not anything important which will be compromised by rage eh?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Arrogant reply from someone who clearly doesn't run their own small business. Happy to see small businesses find themselves even less competitive than before are we?

Edit. Can’t be arsed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here