Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

I did look up one of the two that died post Brexit. The Polish chap was killed by teens, picked on because he was foreign I would guess and not because of the Brexit vote.

Luckily 99% percent of us who voted Brexit are good people, shame some remainers have it in their heads that we all hate foreigners, I really don't know what position that puts me in having an Italian mum. Truth is there are probably hundreds of thousands of long standing migrants to this country who also voted Leave at the time, but you will never hear about them, just like you don't hear about the the disgusting crimes committed by economic migrants / refugees that have arrived across the EU, because of the balls up the EU has made.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why is so hard for you to not accept a different opinion to yours.
I have little time for those who live in a foreign country and keep boasting about it whilst looking down on the country that they left.
I take more notice of people that live here, whether they agree with me or not.
I thought you were off on your travels anyway.

Because it's not a matter of opinion. It's not open for discussion. People can live in another country and still feel deeply connected with their country of origin. It's not a question of your opinion it's just a truth. Your refusal to acknowledge it makes it no less true.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Because it's not a matter of opinion. It's not open for discussion. People can live in another country and still feel deeply connected with their country of origin. It's not a question of your opinion it's just a truth. Your refusal to acknowledge it makes it no less true.

Agreed, some can, but some seem to boast about the country they chose to move to and run down the country they left.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Agreed, some can, but some seem to boast about the country they chose to move to and run down the country they left.

It's usually good humoured with HT. I think there are some on here who like to dismiss people's point of view for any reason. "What do you know, you don't live here" is a classic on this thread.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We will never agree on this issue, politically I put the interests of British working class first and foremost....

...but surely you have said that you are against British workers having the freedom to choose where they work in the UK? I don't think they would see that as being in their interests.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Britain is not under any legal obligation to pay cash to the European Union after Brexit, a cross party committee of peers has found.

The European Commission has threatened to force the UK to make payments worth £50billion over four years after leaving as part of a “hefty” exit bill.

But House of Lords EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee said in a report published today that “under international law the UK will not be legally obliged to contribute to the EU budget if an agreement is not reached at the end of Article 50 negotiations”.

The report is a boost for Theresa May, the Prime Minister, who has been criticised for saying that she is prepared to walk away from the EU with no trade deal if talks did not progress satisfactorily.

The Article 50 process envisages a withdrawal agreement being reached within two years.

The report was published based on legal advice from senior lawyers including Paul Hardy, the Counsel for European Legislation in the Commons who spent four years as a legal and policy adviser to the European Commission.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ave-pay-penny-leave-european-union-say-peers/

Hope they sent a copy of the report to Juncker.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
It's usually good humoured with HT. I think there are some on here who like to dismiss people's point of view for any reason. "What do you know, you don't live here" is a classic on this thread.

Perhaps good humored although I don't need words that contain asterisks to "reply" to comments I do not agree with.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Britain is not under any legal obligation to pay cash to the European Union after Brexit, a cross party committee of peers has found.

The European Commission has threatened to force the UK to make payments worth £50billion over four years after leaving as part of a “hefty” exit bill.

But House of Lords EU Financial Affairs Sub-Committee said in a report published today that “under international law the UK will not be legally obliged to contribute to the EU budget if an agreement is not reached at the end of Article 50 negotiations”.

The report is a boost for Theresa May, the Prime Minister, who has been criticised for saying that she is prepared to walk away from the EU with no trade deal if talks did not progress satisfactorily.

The Article 50 process envisages a withdrawal agreement being reached within two years.

The report was published based on legal advice from senior lawyers including Paul Hardy, the Counsel for European Legislation in the Commons who spent four years as a legal and policy adviser to the European Commission.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...ave-pay-penny-leave-european-union-say-peers/

Hope they sent a copy of the report to Juncker.

Surely this was another case of scaremongering to try (yet again) to demean the Brexit vote.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Surely this was another case of scaremongering to try (yet again) to demean the Brexit vote.

To be fair the Commission's insistence that we have to pay tens of Billions was probably just setting out their first position negotiating stance. Which as you point out is often read as gospel by some people and repeated to have a dig at Brexit.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Northern Ireland's cross-community opposition to Brexit has now resulted in the DUP losing 10 seats and the PBPA (the only other pro-Brexit party) losing 1 of their 2. End result is that Unionist parties no longer hold a majority for the first time ever - although with forced coalition that doesn't mean anything substantive.

Considering that many Unionists consider their link to the UK and the crown is via Scotland, an indepdenent Scotland remaining with the Queen could be sufficient to push Northern Ireland to do the same now.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
To be fair the Commission's insistence that we have to pay tens of Billions was probably just setting out their first position negotiating stance. Which as you point out is often read as gospel by some people and repeated to have a dig at Brexit.

I agree with most of this. Where 'scaremongering' and 'demeaning' come in I'm not sure. As regards your second point, I noticed during the week that a single spread in The Times carried four pieces of bad Brexit news and three pieces of good. Picking up any of them to prove a point one way or the other is legitimate although best done with caution. Simply quoting heavily partisan newspapers and extreme American websites probably doesn't constitute caution.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
So what happened to any cost is worthwhile because we have our country back. Does this mean you now don't believe the UK is worth 50bn

Put up where I have stated "any cost is worthwhile because we have our country back".
I think I stated my displeasure on paying 50bn saying that what we are contributing now was going to the EU and bail outs etc.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Put up where I have stated "any cost is worthwhile because we have our country back".
I think I stated my displeasure on paying 50bn saying that what we are contributing now was going to the EU and bail outs etc.

He seems so eager that we pay it that maybe the remainers can have a whip round to keep the EU gravy train riders happy

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Perhaps good humored although I don't need words that contain asterisks to "reply" to comments I do not agree with.

Fair enough. We all have our style of posting and that can provide much humour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So what happened to any cost is worthwhile because we have our country back. Does this mean you now don't believe the UK is worth 50bn

To be fair to [MENTION=26105]Soulman[/MENTION] he wouldn't have posted a statement. You must be confusing him with someone else? Or a post he quoted maybe?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I agree with most of this. Where 'scaremongering' and 'demeaning' come in I'm not sure. As regards your second point, I noticed during the week that a single spread in The Times carried four pieces of bad Brexit news and three pieces of good. Picking up any of them to prove a point one way or the other is legitimate although best done with caution. Simply quoting heavily partisan newspapers and extreme American websites probably doesn't constitute caution.

Fair point on quoting selective good/bad Brexit news. But I expect those that always knew Brexit was doomed to failure will highlight the bad so a bit of balance is needed.

Plus I thought this report was more significant than many as the issue of future funding of the EU has had little coverage. One of the biggest net contributors leaving will leave a huge hole in the EU balance sheet which puts us in a stronger negotiating position if the legal obligation for future payments is at best dubious.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Just back from Forest, my mistake I believe it was Pink Fairy that stated any cost is worthwhile.

Although your vote given that the post Brexit deal was(is) unknown is effectively a statement that you are prepared to accept the final deal to leave (regardless of what it is)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here