Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Why Did Murray Not Start?!

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
from Gus via seagulls.co.uk

Gus Poyet tonight played down his decision to leave Glenn Murray on the bench at Bournemouth, and says the club will take their time to negotiate with the striker over a new contract.

Murray, whose contract expires this summer, was named as a substitue as Poyet opted to start with two of his in-form trio in Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood in the 1-0 defeat.

Poyet told seagulls.co.uk, "Firstly, the two are not linked. I felt Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood deserved their chance today based on their own form.

"People see players from 3pm until 5pm every Saturday, but I see them every day - so it's me that's in charge and making the decision about who should play.

"With regards to Glenn we have talked a little bit with him about his contract and the club has been in contact with his agent - but nobody is in a hurry. He is not in a hurry, so we will take our time."

"Glenn showed what he is about when he came on. We needed to change the way we were playing, and when he came on and won a lot of the ball in the air that made it easier."

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Another NSC Murray over reaction? Gus' words on the OFFICIAL site seem to suggest so... :lol:

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Sorry to report this chaps, but a mate of mine who lives near Murray has texted me to say that there was a police car parked outside of Murray's home all afternoon. A resignation for personal and family reasons looks on the cards.

What would a police car have to do with that? Plus he wouldn't have been even playing today if that was the case?

Sounds like a viable scenario. And certainly better than people spuriously claiming that there was 'a police car outside his house', he's unhappy, egotistical, lazy etc etc Did it occur to anyone that he may have been more prominent in the clapping at the end simply because he's actually very content at Brighton now and enjoying being fully fit and part of a successful squad?

Of course, he may be off.... but some of the rumours that circulate on here are downright rude.

I think the original comment about the police car has gone over a few heads..

Think Alan Johnson, think police bodyguards, think resignation / leaving..

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Before anyone over reacts, my ealier post about the mate spotting the police car was a play on the Alan Johnson resignation story.

In reality, Poyet commented earlier this week about the hardest part of his job being to keep the subs happy. He couldn't rest Wood, so Murray was the unlucky one to make way for Barnes. At least that's my take on it.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
All fans see is the 90 minutes, that's true.

90 minutes tend to be more important than training though and from the 90 minutes I've seen lately Murray could be sitting watching Jeremy Kyle in his pants every day for all I care.

If he is off then we desperately need another striker because while Wood and Barnes are not bad players, every time they've played together it's been very ineffective.

simoblow

Jan 22, 2010
So we have now gone from panicking about Bennett possibly leaving to panicking about Murray leaving. This in spite of Poyet saying tonight "With regards to Glenn we have talked a little bit with him about his contract and the club has been in contact with his agent - but nobody is in a hurry. He is not in a hurry, so we will take our time. Glenn showed what he is about when he came on. We needed to change the way we were playing, and when he came on and won a lot of the ball in the air that made it easier."

What else needs to be said ?

I know that the "i am entitled to my opinion" brigade will say just that, but in the absence of confirmation that Murray is leaving, what is the point of this endless conjecture as to what is happening ?

Mind you, in the short time i have been looking at this message board, i have learnt at least 2 things :

1) If you want to know the facts go some where else, and....

2) if you want a really good argument, this is the best place on the planet to have one.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Before anyone over reacts, my ealier post about the mate spotting the police car was a play on the Alan Johnson resignation story.

Ah point taken. Sorry. Didn't get it initially - there's been so much **** posted about Murray in the past just thought it was more stirring.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Gus' comments are a clearer sign to me that Murray is leaving in a matter of moments. There is no way that Murray may have give a half-hearted performance in training this week and Barnes seemed to be completely on song in each session, Gus then making an educated decision from the evidence in front of him. Personally, i go for the ungrounded conspiracy theory every time and rejoice when one happens to become unfortunately true. I also like watching Loose Women.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I thought Wood and Barnes were poor today and can't remember either of them getting a decent shot or header on target. Barnes is too pre occupied in getting defenders booked or sent off by play acting and Wood looked awkward and couldn't control the ball.

In the next 9 days Murray will either sign a new contract or be off. I fear that he/his agent will force the club's hand by demanding excessive wages, and then joining a northern club for less. If we sell him we'll need to do it quickly so we can sign a replacement. Gus seems wants players to do exactly what he tells them (fair enough), I suspect Murray doesn't fit with what Gus wants.

Murray did seem much warmer to the crowd - photos at half time with fans, waves at the end.........hardly the same as Brentford away last season. Still we've got Holroyd and Sandaza.

Last edited:

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
How about this.... Glen was simply dropped for his back heel balls up that resulted in Posh's goal in the last game? Tommy was dropped after the last B'mouth game for what was also arguably an error. Competition for places is huge so excuses to give others a chance are rare. Just a thought....

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
How about this.... Glen was simply dropped for his back heel balls up that resulted in Posh's goal in the last game? Tommy was dropped after the last B'mouth game for what was also arguably an error. Competition for places is huge so excuses to give others a chance are rare. Just a thought....

Don't be silly. Heads have to roll for this. Poyet Out!

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
If I was Glenn Murray, and Lord Poyet played that shower of shit/ tart/ poof Ashley Barnes in front of me, I wouldn't rush to sign a contract either.

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
I was not over impressed with Murray when we first signed him but recognised he could be a decent player on occassions and feel like other players in the squad he has improved under the Poyet reign, which makes him the best striker on the books.
It was noted from the Radio Sussex commentry that Murray has yet to sign a new contract, if he should move then our goals for total will diminish. Any critismn of Barnes earlier in the season was jumped on yet his number of starts since makes one think Poyet does not rate him that good.
Talking of Poyet as promising as he is he is not perfect but there are some who challenge every suggestion made that they trust his every decision, there must always be room for discussion, even Fergie is not god.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If I was Glenn Murray, and Lord Poyet played that shower of shit/ tart/ poof Ashley Barnes in front of me, I wouldn't rush to sign a contract either.

Murray Barnes
Starts 24 23
Subs 5 6
Appearances 29 29
Goals 11 10
Goals/Appearances 0.38 0.34
Mins Played 2068 2037
% of Our Goals 21.15 19.23
Mins/Goal 188.00 203.70
Team Goals While On 42 36
"Games" (mins/90) 22.98 22.63
No of Games scored in (start) 9 6
No of Games scored in (sub) 0 1
Shots (total) 61 57
Shots (average per appearance) 2.10 1.97

Seems not to be a big gulf between being the best player at the club by miles and being a shower of shit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here