Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Hughton supporters

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I do not want CH to leave, that does not mean I have been happy with some of the performances this season, far from it. But then I was not happy with some of the performances when he first joined and certainly did not expect us to just miss out on promotion by 2 goal difference the next season. So he has form at being able to sort things out when they don't look great, so happy if we stay up for him to have another go, I think he deserves that.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Well, I usually travel in a party of four to games and we all want a change. We also meet up with another group of seven at the ground. They all want a change as well. I have spoken to another five that sit near me at games and they also feel its time to change as well. Small numbers, I know, but thats 100% amongst 15 people of my acquaintance ( and we usually disagree on lots of other BHA issues )

Most of mine are on the fence about it, some think it's down to recruitment, others staunch Hughton fans.

I'd be surprised if either was a significant majority.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I do not want CH to leave, that does not mean I have been happy with some of the performances this season, far from it. But then I was not happy with some of the performances when he first joined and certainly did not expect us to just miss out on promotion by 2 goal difference the next season. So he has form at being able to sort things out when they don't look great, so happy if we stay up for him to have another go, I think he deserves that.

Whilst I am verrry minorly Hughton Out, I would be ok with him being given until Oct/Nov to see if he can build some positive momentum at this club again.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
One things for sure is that there needs to be change... If we start next season with Hughton as manager and largely the same squad then we're doomed. Either a new manager to get the best out of our current squad or Hughton stays but 4 or 5 players of real quality are signed (right back, centre mid, creative attacking midfield, striker, and maybe even winger who knows how to cross!).

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Take a look at all the managerial changes in the PL since Hughton took over at Brighton - and check how many have had any success - very, very few of them.

It depends what you define as success, doesn't it. Plus, by definition, most clubs that change managers tend to be clubs down the bottom of the league because they're not doing well, so by nature those that come into such jobs aren't exactly coming into flourishing clubs.

But let's look at this season. Man Utd changed manager. They've arguably stayed at the same level but the football is better - adding context in they've also appointed someone with limited previous experience at this level and they've got a ton of issues there which would need solving irrespective of the man in charge. Pretty much no change in outcome.

Fulham, one bad change arguably with Ranieri, although even that's debatable. One potentially better change with Parker albeit he's taken time to implement some of his ideas. Pretty much par for the course from where they were when Jokanovic left though and they've probably got a guy in charge that will start there next season with a chance to come back up.

Huddersfield - no noticeable change post managerial change, but they've not got worse particularly.

Southampton - a change has undoubtedly been beneficial to them.

Leicester - a change has undoubtedly been beneficial to them.

I'd say those percentages are pretty good.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
As much as I rate Warren, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he might be wrong on certain things.

He still works as a scout for the club and mentions two players he recommended in the past which were ignored.

Phil McNulty also gave his opinion about Chris Hughton and how respected he is in the game.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Oh my goodness, you never know who you're talking to, and I didn't realise I was talking to someone who has a 1992 cut-off when it comes to football. We have been in the top flight before, football did exist before 1992, it wasn't some sort of rule change that stopped us picking up the ball and running with it, that happened in 1992. The league just rebranded itself. I may just leave this here.

... and btw way saying "50/50 is basic mathematics" doesn't really support your point at all.

Neither does asking who our best ever manager is when you consider the changes in football since we were last in the top flight; just FYI, I only stated we'd never had anyone get us into the Premier League, not that we'd never had a manager who'd got us into the top flight you patronising shit. Quite frankly, if all you've taken from my post is this garbage you've replied with, then I really pity you and your ability to comprehend basic footballing points.

And good effort in answering the questions I asked.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Okay, let me ask you a few different questions. How many managers out there are better than Hughton right now? How many managers out there are right now are better at developing players? How many are likely to play a more attacking style of football whilst also keeping us in this league? How many are likely to jump at the chance of managing us? I'd wager the answer of "quite a few" to each of those questions.
You may be right.. but I can't think of any who would make me feel comfortable with the gamble right now and are realistcially available. Who do you have in mind?

That ultimately isn't for me to decide and I don't really see the point in chucking random names around. But baring in mind the amount we can offer relative to many other leagues and baring in mind some of the young managers in lower league football, I think there's nothing to lose by looking elsewhere considering the job CH has done this season. Although I appreciate not everyone agrees.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Neither does asking who our best ever manager is when you consider the changes in football since we were last in the top flight; just FYI, I only stated we'd never had anyone get us into the Premier League, not that we'd never had a manager who'd got us into the top flight you patronising shit. Quite frankly, if all you've taken from my post is this garbage you've replied with, then I really pity you and your ability to comprehend basic footballing points.

And good effort in answering the questions I asked.

Charming.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION], please can you answer this one?

A couple of posters have dismissed Deloitte’s research on football finance as inadequate and so as a result, we should ignore for example their tables of worldwide clubs sorted by income.

Is their work on football finance to be dismissed, or an accurate source of information?

It's not perfect as they sometimes produce reports based on a bit of informed gossip but on the whole it has value (although not the prices they try to charge for some of their reports).

They're good guys in the main, have always got on well with them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Again listen to that podcast. Warren is absolutely scathing about our recruitment.

He is, but specifically about our three biggest signings; Izquierdo, Ali J and Locadia who he rightly argues have under-delivered this season.
The team that recruited these three players, one of whom had an impressive first season, also recruited Knockaert, Duffy, Ryan, Gross, Murray, Propper, Bernardo and Bissouma
he also echoes a well repeated point on NSC threads , that the club should avoid the Dutch league.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
He is, but specifically about our three biggest signings; Izquierdo, Ali J and Locadia who he rightly argues have under-delivered this season.
The team that recruited these three players, one of whom had an impressive first season, also recruited Knockaert, Duffy, Ryan, Gross, Murray, Propper, Bernardo and Bissouma
he also echoes a well repeated point on NSC threads , that the club should avoid the Dutch league.

Looks like Ajax cornered the market for talent over there.

I think with 2 French speakers already, Ligue 1 is where we should be looking.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He still works as a scout for the club and mentions two players he recommended in the past which were ignored.

Phil McNulty also gave his opinion about Chris Hughton and how respected he is in the game.

CH deserves his respect, and he deserves to go down as the club's best manager -- but that's hardly the same thing as to whether he should continue next season. I'm just sceptical that he's the right person for us next season. I've only recently come to that view. He's an amazing defensive coach, but I have my questions about his attacking credentials, and his ability to turn games around from losing positions. Nothing stays still at this level, and it seems other coaches have worked him out, and can counter his approach increasingly effectively. I have my doubts about his ability to adapt at this level.
This is all said in the knowledge of 'be careful what you wish for' (a phrase I've uttered several times in the past), what has happened to similiar-sized clubs when they've jettisoned their defensive-oriented manager, just how much of a gent Chris is, and how brilliant he's been for us. I feel a little dirty saying it, but it's a view, that's all.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
CH deserves his respect, and he deserves to go down as the club's best manager -- but that's hardly the same thing as to whether he should continue next season. I'm just sceptical that he's the right person for us next season. I've only recently come to that view. He's an amazing defensive coach, but I have my questions about his attacking credentials, and his ability to turn games around from losing positions. Nothing stays still at this level, and it seems other coaches have worked him out, and can counter his approach increasingly effectively. I have my doubts about his ability to adapt at this level.
This is all said in the knowledge of 'be careful what you wish for' (a phrase I've uttered several times in the past), what has happened to similiar-sized clubs when they've jettisoned their defensive-oriented manager, just how much of a gent Chris is, and how brilliant he's been for us. I feel a little dirty saying it, but it's a view, that's all.

Excellent post

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

I've seen several winning games from losing positions from Hughton. This is only the second season in the Prem, so we haven't got the players that we need yet. It is a slow process but it seems the fans are getting impatient.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I've seen several winning games from losing positions from Hughton. This is only the second season in the Prem, so we haven't got the players that we need yet. It is a slow process but it seems the fans are getting impatient.

Nope, coming back from a goal down to win a game just once in two seasons in the Premier League is an absolutely appalling record however you dress it up

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nope, coming back from a goal down to win a game just once in two seasons in the Premier League is an absolutely appalling record however you dress it up

Oh so to prove he is rubbish you're going to ignore the previous two years? Come off it, that is really pushing an agenda.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here