Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
*No deal* is now inevitable - looking at the line up for the next PM.

The country dies in early November.

Nothing I or anyone here can do about it. A creeping doom approaching.

Personally, as of today, I am past caring. I am numb to it.

All I can do is prepare. Wash my hands of the tories forever. Wash my hands of the Corbyn non-opposition forever.

None of it matters. The collapse of the country will arrive quickly.

Time to break free from the Brexit mental cage.

A plague on all their houses.

I'll vote Green from here on forward for any vote - the only thing that now means anything to me politically.

Enjoy your arguments - personally I'm glad I no longer care - and as best I can be, I'll be prepared for the fall of the Formerly United Kingdom.

If NSC had a personal Thread Zap function, this thread would now have been detonated.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
http://https://lordashcroftpolls.com/2019/05/my-euro-election-post-vote-poll-most-tory-switchers-say-they-will-stay-with-their-new-party/

And the EU elections were even better for Leave than the headline results, given that more voters had voted for Remain than Leave in the referendum.

I didn't quite understand this! Still a bit puzzled after reading it. It says "Among all those voting in the European elections, 50 per cent said they had voted to Remain in the referendum and 45 per cent to Leave; now, 50 per cent said they wanted to leave, 46 per cent said they wanted to remain, and 4 per cent didn’t know." Not sure how this can be the case when the majority vote was for remain parties.

I was also puzzled by the fact that 2% of Brexit Party voters said that they had made their minds up who to vote for more than 6 months ago. The Brexit Party was only formed 6 weeks ago - so that's impossible. Just goes to show how little faith you can really put in what people tell pollsters!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Good showing for Brexit Party for sure..... but overall win for Leave campaign? I don't think so......

Also, come another referendum called by those that have no thought of democracy, the leavers will be there in force, yet again, if they lose, God help this country.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
So what form of Brexit will satisfy all those who voted leave and how would you know?

I don't really get your question, but democracy voted to leave, therefore the will of the people is leave. If that is overturned we are no longer a democracy.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I don't really get your question, but democracy voted to leave, therefore the will of the people is leave. If that is overturned we are no longer a democracy.

Which democratic vote are you referring to? The dodgy 2016 second referendum? The EU vote? What exactly does 'the will of the people' mean when the majority of votes in the EU elections were for remain? Why would democracy 'conclude' either in June 2016, May 2019 or at any point in time?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Gees, bit harsh GB old boy, merely paraphrasing what many academia experts also concur! The populace is more diverse than ever before, look at us for example exacerbated by further identification as Europeans rather than British never mind Anglo British of white Caucasian slightly to the left and following a PL team ‘race’!
Anyway, we shall see...revolution is coming... ;)

I just don't buy the church / monarchy / Britain / nation states ceasing to exist part of it. There's no doubt multi-cultralism is here in certain areas so that's the one point I didn't mention in my reply. But it is only in certain areas / cities. Brighton is quite diverse but more in the way that you are accepted if you are a gay couple with kids or you want to spend your weekends doing cosplay or reading James Joyce books dressed in leather chaps. Ethnically it isn't at all.

I work on sites around the UK quite a lot and you soon get to see how "diverse" places are. I've regularly stayed in Birmingham and one thing I'll agree with 2p on is that is is certainly ethincally diverse. The area around New St where the office was would be unrecognisable from 50 years ago to many and that's before we hit the suburbs and the council estates. I also work in Lytham in Lancs which is probably 99% white, middle class and over 40. There isn't a single Eastern European in the hotel I stay in there - they're all English and have been there for years (and they all know my name and what I drink). And Edinburgh (in Scotland, which 2p hilariously tried to claim had former EU residents in the majority!) where, actually, the hotel I stay in had a mix of Scots and foreign staff but the office I go to is, again, dominated by White British Scots. So revolution? No. I can certainly see racial tension in places like Birmingham but don't expect the citizens of Brighton, Lytham and Edinburgh to join in.

If anything Brexit is strongest in white dominated areas that are poorer than any of the places named above. Skegness. Barnsley. The Meday. And therefore your "revolution" of a sort is really down to the age old issue of not having any cash, nor any hope of getting any.

Head office is London though which is one of the most multi-cultral places on earth and voted Remain, and has just returned Liberals and Greens almost across the board. ACTUAL multi-cultralism doesn't seem to scare the natives much at all.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Which democratic vote are you referring to? The dodgy 2016 second referendum? The EU vote? What exactly does 'the will of the people' mean when the majority of votes in the EU elections were for remain? Why would democracy 'conclude' either in June 2016, May 2019 or at any point in time?

That was the second referendum? Did I miss the first one? Or are you talking 1971? Are you not aware of the 'dodgy' 2016 referendum where we voted out? That was a democratic vote, which part of it do you not get?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Also, the majority of votes were for the Brexit Party.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
That was the second referendum? Did I miss the first one? Or are you talking 1971? Are you not aware of the 'dodgy' 2016 referendum where we voted out? That was a democratic vote, which part of it do you not get?

I don't know if you missed the first one, depends on how old you are..... (1975)
Regards the 2016 referendum - are you not aware of:

https://unlockdemocracy.org/blog-1/...endum-spending-old-tricks-different-packaging ?

That probably explains why I find it a bit dodgy. But this is all well documented and Leavers and Remainers will still argue about it.

The majority of votes were for Parties explicitly standing for Remain but of course the single-party winner was the Brexit Party.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Reading through the last few pages, the way you argue is exactly the reason remainers have got themselves in such a mess. It should have been so simple, present a reasoned argument in a calm manner rather than belittling people who maybe haven’t done much research.

Instead labelling everyone who doesn’t agree with you as thick or racist has driven a massive wedge through the middle of the country.

Frightening stuff. I didn't realise The Clamp was so powerful.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
Do you feel big for googling what you don't know?

Not at all. I just thought it would be a bit tedious and time-consuming for me to summarise that article. Please do read it if you want to answer your own question about why some people find that 2nd referendum rather questionable.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
At the end of the day we will see Brexit through, whether the non democratic minority love it or not. So get on with your lives and adjust.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Not at all. I just thought it would be a bit tedious and time-consuming for me to summarise that article. Please do read it if you want to answer your own question about why some people find that 2nd referendum rather questionable.

I know you :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here