Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Farage's rhetoric:
"fight"
"battle"
"treachery"
"betrayal"
"sacrifice"

From the man who couldn't walk more than a mile to make a point...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
With all the chaos going on at the moment, I thought it only right to tell you that I have just seen Baker Lite rowing a cast iron bath across the Atlantic.

I think I heard him say...." I'm on my way " before it disappeared into the murky waters.
Marvellous Scenes!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
You're probably right about some of them wanting to remain. There's no version of leave they'd ever be happy with anyway.

I've been saying for ages on here that The ERG are just of bunch of clueless, oddball, freakoid, Tory toffs with posh accents who just blubber on about 'WTO terms' 'Our own free trade deals' 'Managed no deal' and all the rest of it without having a clue about what they're actually blubbering on about and people fell for it, hook line and sinker.

No hiding place anymore for them - they've now been exposed for the clueless, oddball, freakoid, Tory Toffs with posh accents that they always were.

I think the only Brexit they would be happy with is one they can blame the EU if it goes wrong.

Pushing the no deal offers a get out for them if it goes wrong - The EU bullied us.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think the only Brexit they would be happy with is one they can blame the EU if it goes wrong.

Pushing the no deal offers a get out for them if it goes wrong - The EU bullied us.

Any version of Brexit and The EU would get the blame, not them. Even out of The EU, they'd still have their pathological loathing default setting toward it and blame it for everything.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
This notion we will sign up to any sh*t deal Trump gives us tells me more about your perception of the UK (weak/desperate) than about what will likely happen.

Well in the past 2 years we really haven't shown any inclination of getting our shit in order. We couldn't negotiate getting out of a flippin' paper bag right now, let alone agreeing on our own trade deals.

We just don't have anyone good enough to do it. No-one in the current government has a backbone.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Whether you believe they are incompetent or not, they are not at fault for this.

It would be like saying the Conservatives were responsible for the Iraq War. 84 Labour MPs rebelled against the war, only 2 Tories voted against, however the fault of the Iraq War is firmly at the door of Labour, and rightly so they were in GOVERNMENT.

Referendum - called by the Conservatives
Referendum campaigns - led by the Conservatives
General election - called by the Conservatives
Brexit deal - negotiated by the Conservatives.

The argument over Labour's incompetence is another discussion, but they were not invited to participate in the Brexit negotiations, they've not been part of it's formation, their position has been consistent since the election.

We can have a discussion about Labour on another thread, but they really are not at fault for this mess.
I don't believe the Labour Party can be excused from blame for Brexit.

Sure it's a different blame, the Conservatives are absolutely holding the winning hand of blame, they have right royally shafted everybody and I hope it isn't forgotten when we are next allowed an opinion.

But just because the Labour Party isn't holding the gun I don't believe it has done enough to wrestle the gun from the lunatics, for the greater good.

Just saying 'well they can't do anything' just doesn't cut it for me while they have been doing precisely nothing.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
'nothing' includes inflicting the biggest defeat on the gov in recorded history and the fourth biggest defeat in recorded history.

An alternate labour leader could have whipped in support of that shit deal.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't believe the Labour Party can be excused from blame for Brexit.

Sure it's a different blame, the Conservatives are absolutely holding the winning hand of blame, they have right royally shafted everybody and I hope it isn't forgotten when we are next allowed an opinion.

But just because the Labour Party isn't holding the gun I don't believe it has done enough to wrestle the gun from the lunatics, for the greater good.

Just saying 'well they can't do anything' just doesn't cut it for me while they have been doing precisely nothing.

Labour’s leadership especially McDonnell and Corbyn could’ve campaigned passionately for Remain 3 years ago, especially in Labour heartlands away from London. They could’ve gone all out Second Referendum for the last 3 years. Unfortunately petty party politics reared its head, plus their career long dislike of the EU(“A capitalist club”) simmered beneath the surface.

Cameron started this, but the two main parties have left us where we are.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
With all the chaos going on at the moment, I thought it only right to tell you that I have just seen Baker Lite rowing a cast iron bath across the Atlantic.

I think I heard him say...." I'm on my way " before it disappeared into the murky waters.

Don't try and stop him/her!

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
Any version of Brexit and The EU would get the blame, not them. Even out of The EU, they'd still have their pathological loathing default setting toward it and blame it for everything.

The Leavers are such a sorry bunch ,I can`t understand how they won the referendum, this country has gone mad !

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
'nothing' includes inflicting the biggest defeat on the gov in recorded history and the fourth biggest defeat in recorded history

In favour of what?

Please please don't get me wrong.
I blame the Tories I blame Cameron, Eton, power, that Tory banker Farridge, Johnson even before I get onto Gove and Mogg.
As said I (and I hope we) can all rant about Tory incompetence for hours without even mentioning May.

A bunch of privileged spoiled rich kids.

But just like all their parents, at no point has the Labour Party said to them 'No'.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Corbyn is like a stuck record with his stock “call a General Election” at every single opportunity. Self serving ****.

He can’t actually get elected can he? But then neither could Trump....

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I gave my opinion on what type of Brexit I want/expect, you have yours but I think any BRINO solution (technically leaving) would leave most Brexiteer voters feeling betrayed and most remainers thinking we went through all this pain just to be tied to the EU with no say. Perfectly acceptable?

It is not what most Leavers or Remainers want exactly, however, in a vote that was 52% to 48% then the compromise half in, half out, super soft Brexit is what was indicated by the result. I have never really understood how this has not been obvious from day one. Yes, leave won but a sizable amount of the UK likes the benefits of EU membership. I am aware that this is an over simplification but in voting to leave the EU we as a country still needed to be aware of and consider the remaining 48%.

An opportunity has been missed to heal the divisions by intransigence on both sides

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Indeed, I would willingly accept the result of a referendum now that ALL the facts of what will happen are on the table plus for any election/referendum the likes of Cambridge Analytica will be closely monitored.

Vote Leave today dropped their appeal against the Electoral Commissions ruling on multiple offences committed during the 2016 Referendum campaign.
They have reportedly paid the £61,000 fine .

It doesn’t appear to have featured in any news bulletins.

And, for this reason alone, there should be another FAIR referendum, properly scrutinised by international observers.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Cameron started this, but the two main parties have left us where we are.

And there is now a good chance that May will be the person history remembers as killing it off. The ******* Brexit child born of Cameron and then promptly adopted by robotic mother May, who did not know how to look after it, is now on life support.

Time to turn the machine off and pay our respects.

albion68

Oct 27, 2011
In favour of what?

Please please don't get me wrong.
I blame the Tories I blame Cameron, Eton, power, that Tory banker Farridge, Johnson even before I get onto Gove and Mogg.
As said I (and I hope we) can all rant about Tory incompetence for hours without even mentioning May.

A bunch of privileged spoiled rich kids.

But just like all their parents, at no point has the Labour Party said to them 'No'.

Are the labour MP`s all ordinary folk then driving around in 10 yr old second hand cars ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
While everyone's eyes have been on Parliament, and Theresa May, VoteLeave has quietly dropped its appeal against the Electoral Commission.

[tweet]1111683895081226240[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here