Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Cardiff v Chelsea - posives and negatives

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Marginal I think you’ll agree [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

89faa4fa6316af67f32922b89dadccb0.jpg

Wouldn't have been offside against us - we'd have had eight or nine behind the ball crowded round our tiny Maty.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Have you been watching us?

Apart from palace where we were pretty good, we have been universally abysmal this year. Even Millwall looked better than us and we needed a freak goal to do them. Cardiff look better than us at the moment.

Yes. But not sure there’s a lot further to go with a nuanced debate about progression, our flaws and comparisons with 17/18 if the starting point is we are “universally abysmal”!!

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
...would have taken this at start of season.

This absolutely sums it up for me. We are close but one team down already, one other spot taken, so only 18th to avoid.

Our second season in PL and we are 5points away from that one remaining drop-spot with a better run in than the current incumbent.

I really do think some people are deluding themselves suggesting we aren't doing better than could be expected or that we weren't a relegation contender.

And in 12m time? I'd still take this position as a good one!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This absolutely sums it up for me. We are close but one team down already, one other spot taken, so only 18th to avoid.

Our second season in PL and we are 5points away from that one remaining drop-spot with a better run in than the current incumbent.

I really do think some people are deluding themselves suggesting we aren't doing better than could be expected or that we weren't a relegation contender.

And in 12m time? I'd still take this position as a good one!

I guess it depends on how the team has got to the position of still being 5 points away from relegation.

They've spent most of the season getting into touching distance of the Everton Cup contenders.
Every time they been that one win away, they've lost and then lost some more.
Until finally they are at the stage of hoping Cardiff lose.

This all smacks of regessing back to 'aren't we lucky to be in this division', until such time as we're not.

I don't expect us to be challenging for Europe but I do expect the team to progress but that attitude doesn't seem too apparent esp when looking at not only away form but the teams form against our nearest rivals.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Cardiff scored an offside goal against us....
Apparently all evens itself out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And Bamba wasnt bookedfor taking his shirt off!!!!! Karma!! If Mr Warnockcomplains about refereeing......

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
i'm not sure how much capacity there is in the current squad for "improvement".

Bernardo is steadily improving and looks like a PL player. Bissouma looks like he could become a good PL player, given time. Andone possibly ????……..now I'm struggling

Can Knocky, Propper, Gross, Murray, Stephens, Montoya, Locadia (maybe), Dunk, Duffy, March (maybe), Issy (maybe), Ali (maybe) improve by much, to the extent that we will become a better team

I sort of agree that we are doing well to "stay in there" but cant see things being much better with this squad in the PL next season, and I suspect Leeds/Norwich + 1 will be stronger than Hudds, Fulham and Cardiff

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
A few had purple patches last season.

Bissouma and Andone have potential but not quite there yet. Likewise AJ.

Propper and Gross both good enough, if utilised properly

The championship players peaked last season, or in some cases the season before

i'm not sure how much capacity there is in the current squad for "improvement".

Bernardo is steadily improving and looks like a PL player. Bissouma looks like he could become a good PL player, given time. Andone possibly ????……..now I'm struggling

Can Knocky, Propper, Gross, Murray, Stephens, Montoya, Locadia (maybe), Dunk, Duffy, March (maybe), Issy (maybe), Ali (maybe) improve by much, to the extent that we will become a better team

I sort of agree that we are doing well to "stay in there" but cant see things being much better with this squad in the PL next season, and I suspect Leeds/Norwich + 1 will be stronger than Hudds, Fulham and Cardiff

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Incorrect. Cardiff went at Chelsea, we won’t. We’ll sit back and defend, give a daft goal away and then go at them for the last 10 minutes.

I can kind of understand those tactics when playing away at Stamford Bridge, but what l really can't fathom, or forgive, is sitting back at home to lowly Southampton, defending, giving a daft goal away, and leaving our fight back, (if that's what you want to call it), until it was far too late. Utter lunacy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Got to feel sorry for Cardiff on the wrong end of an appalling decision like that. Still, it potentially benefits us - and we've been the victims of a few stinkers ourselves.

VAR would have helped - but from what I have seen of VAR in England so far, sadly it'll make things worse, not better. 'Clear and obvious errors or omissions', fine - but not a three minute wait while the officials pour over a small screen to decide whether one eyelash was marginally offside ............ possibly ................ maybe ..... let's look at it again. And it will still be controversial. No thanks!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Got to feel sorry for Cardiff on the wrong end of an appalling decision like that. Still, it potentially benefits us - and we've been the victims of a few stinkers ourselves.

VAR would have helped - but from what I have seen of VAR in England so far, sadly it'll make things worse, not better. 'Clear and obvious errors or omissions', fine - but not a three minute wait while the officials pour over a small screen to decide whether one eyelash was marginally offside ............ possibly ................ maybe ..... let's look at it again. And it will still be controversial. No thanks!

I hate incompetence by officials.

But don’t feel sorry for them at all. Horrible club and fans, the ultimate bad loser manager, and appalling behaviour of late regarding Sala affair.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can kind of understand those tactics when playing away at Stamford Bridge, but what l really can't fathom, or forgive, is sitting back at home to lowly Southampton, defending, giving a daft goal away, and leaving our fight back, (if that's what you want to call it), until it was far too late. Utter lunacy.

Exactly, I will have no problem in us being the world’s most negative team again on Wednesday because I understand why we’d play like that away at Chelsea. Tactics were absolute shit against Saints at the Amex though and I didn’t and don’t understand why we played like that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exactly, I will have no problem in us being the world’s most negative team again on Wednesday because I understand why we’d play like that away at Chelsea. Tactics were absolute shit against Saints at the Amex though and I didn’t and don’t understand why we played like that.

Don’t know if it was tactics. On the touchline and post match, CH was noticably annoyed/perplexed with the game execution of his players for 65 minutes.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I hate incompetence by officials.

But don’t feel sorry for them at all. Horrible club and fans, the ultimate bad loser manager, and appalling behaviour of late regarding Sala affair.

A tad harsh perhaps. I know Warnock is a Marmite manager, love him or hate him, but l can see why he is so popular with Cardiff fans, if anyone can keep them up it will be him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here