Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No surprise that many of the remainiac regulars on here think the Beeb is biased towards Brexit ... people at the partisan extremes of an argument often see bias in anything that challenges their world view.

According to a YouGov poll on this topic from last year more, Remainers think the Beeb is anti-Brexit than pro-Brexit while the vast majority either think it balanced or don't know.

Meanwhile, analysis of three of the BBC's flagship news panel shows found an overwhelming majority of Remain panellists (over 70%).

It's basically because I just find the BBC News Channel not as good in comparison to Sky News, combined with my enduring brand loyalty toward them from it being my main source of news from The UK when I didn't live here.

Their coverage of the riots in 2011 was excellent for example back then, and softened the blow of feeling I was missing out on the fun by being 8000 miles away, not here.

23 days away from no deal civil disorder though, so I wont be missing out this time. :thumbsup:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
With the exception of Newsnight and BBC South East Today, it's Sky News and C4 News for me too these days for TV news.

On the subject of BBC bias and fear of Government away from Brexit, I thought it very noticeable in 2014 during the Scottish Referendum. I could understand The SNP's gripes on that.

You even had weather presenters suddenly referring to 'Northern Britain' and the 'North of The UK' instead of the 'North and Scotland' :lolol:

Speaking of Channel 4 News, part 2 tonight on the Aaron Banks probe. Sadly, the Beeb just could never go near this stuff these days. It used to be what they did best....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think some of them will be secretly disappointed if No deal doesn't happen ... having spent so much of their time talking it up/predicating all their hysteria on that one unlikely scenario.

Keep believing that if you like

Its the government that have been talking up no deal, meanwhile its business and taxpayers that pick up the bill for their cavalier approach to Brexit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He was the leader of UKIP, who got 3.8m votes in 2015 (a lot more than the Green Party), and UKIP were the main factor in the Brexit vote (and Brexit is quite big news, if you hadn't noticed), so of course he's interviewed more.

UKIP had just one MP and then weren't represented at all in Parliament, after an election. The only time they've been represented was by a defection. The number of votes they got two years ago was 593K

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
You've only got to contrast how many times Farage has been interviewed for the BBC (not a British MP) compared to Caroline Lucas who is an MP.

Channel 4 are ploughing ahead, especially now they seem to be picking up on Aaron Banks.

So out of interest, how many times has Farage been interviewed on the BBC news against Lucas in say the last six months ? And what are the figures for the same metric on Channel 4 news ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
UKIP had just one MP and then weren't represented at all in Parliament, after an election. The only time they've been represented was by a defection. The number of votes they got two years ago was 593K

Soon they will lose their MEP's and will be left with just the racist hour on LBC, weeknights 6-7...

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think the BBC come across as more pro-Brexit than Sky or Channel 4. Sky News go to every ad break with a screen showing the words "Brexit Crisis" and this seems to indicate an editorial Remain bias.

Certainly the likes of Faisal Islam seem to be more Remain than the BBC's Laura Kuenssburg.

I recently listened to a Nicky Campbell BBC Radio 5 phone-in about Brexit. They'd got a Leaver and a Remainer in off the street and into the studio to put their views across and to ask the experts "testing" questions.

The first question asked by the Leaver to the expert was "Will leaving the EU mean we'll do more trade with Commonwealth countries?" to which the expert replied "Well, the EU has a free trade deal with Canada that we're currently part of but could soon be exiting on 29th March".

Your heart sinks when you realise someone at the BBC has sourced these guests. I turned off after that.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So out of interest, how many times has Farage been interviewed on the BBC news against Lucas in say the last six months ? And what are the figures for the same metric on Channel 4 news ?

As if I've sat there and counted the appearances! Why not do something useful and see if you can find out?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think some of them will be secretly disappointed if No deal doesn't happen ... having spent so much of their time talking it up/predicating all their hysteria on that one unlikely scenario.

You really don't get it do you.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
As if I've sat there and counted the appearances! Why not do something useful and see if you can find out?

You made the claim not me. And of course your claim, as usual, was made on a hunch ..... or maybe one of those Twitter posts you so always believe. You constantly pull leavers up on not using FACTS yet when you're pulled up on not doing the same you get all shirty about it. Try following the standards you hold everyone else to.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Soon they will lose their MEP's and will be left with just the racist hour on LBC, weeknights 6-7...

Not if many Remain MP's get their way and delay or stop Brexit .... wonder how many votes UKIP will get at the next European elections if the Remain political establishment succeeds in their aim of ignoring 17.4 million voters.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You made the claim not me. And of course your claim, as usual, was made on a hunch ..... or maybe one of those Twitter posts you so always believe. You constantly pull leavers up on not using FACTS yet when you're pulled up on not doing the same you get all shirty about it. Try following the standards you hold everyone else to.

It is an observation and I believe we are allowed to make observations. I watch the news and see Farage appear very often, and very rarely do I see Lucas.

You have a wonderful modus operandi of sniping at people whilst offering very few facts yourself.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So with 23 days to go and still no end in sight for this complete and utter clusterf*** I'm guessing this wasn't what the leave voters intended ???

So do [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] or [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] (or others) have any suggestions as to what should have been done differently and how that would have effected the situation we find ourselves in ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not if many Remain MP's get their way and delay or stop Brexit .... wonder how many votes UKIP will get at the next European elections if the Remain political establishment succeeds in their aim of ignoring 17.4 million voters.

The biggest threat to Brexit not happening is your merry band in the ERG. They can still get "the owned by the EU" relationship they portrayed to the masses in June 2016, they just need to back May's deal

Utopia is in your grasp...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So with 23 days to go and still no end in sight for this complete and utter clusterf*** I'm guessing this wasn't what the leave voters intended ???

So do [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] or [MENTION=33253]JC Footy Genius[/MENTION] (or others) have any suggestions as to what should have been done differently and how that would have effected the situation we find ourselves in ?

Or perhaps as the more educated end of the leaver voter sphere on here, could also they care to spell out the trade opportunities that will surpass EU loses after Brexit?

Come on guys...

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
UKIP had just one MP and then weren't represented at all in Parliament, after an election. The only time they've been represented was by a defection.
So? A lot of people voted for them.
The number of votes they got two years ago was 593K
Yes, after the Brexit vote. And since Brexit hasn't happened yet, Farage remains a relevant politician. What is Lucas doing to grip the nation?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

Ah ..... the small businessman with an unbelievable knowledge of WTO is back. OK, so to do what you always do - I suggest you look at my previous posts to find out where I think things could have been handled differently. 23 days to the no deal you absolutely promise won't happen :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here