Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drones spotted at LGW.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if we're into conspiracy, obviously this false flag event is engineered to bring in mandatory licensing for drones and restrict their use. only question is who benefits. i reckon its the aerial photography industry, as since drones came along there is less demand for flights to take photos.

no?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I would have thought that the frequency that drones work on could be set by the law of the land for manufacturers and just those frequencies blocked. I dont know but would have thought so with modern technology.

Do you think the culprits in a serious case like this one, will respect your new law?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
I would think Corbyn is quite keen to find out who was responsible so that he can send them a thank you card.
Without Dronegate, yesterday's headlines would have all been about Corbyn and his faux pas in PMQ's the previous day, and they would not have been supportive headlines either!

Back on topic, and apologies if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but anyone up for a conspiracy?

It's a little weird that the authorities are saying that it is now perfectly safe to fly planes around Gatwick despite the Drone(s) and the Pilot(s) not being found or even identified.
Do they know something they aren't telling us?

Could it be that yesterday's antics were in fact a blackmail plot and the Airport has now paid a ransom, but clearly they wouldn't want anybody to know that for fear of copycat issues?

Just a thought?

Normally don't do the conspiracy thing, but I do find it a bit unbelievable that airports around the country are not being closed daily, if all it takes is a nut job with a drone?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Do you think the culprits in a serious case like this one, will respect your new law?

BG has spoken, therefore the law, technical impossibilities and common sense are no longer relevant.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ban all drones.

Seriously, how long will it be before terrorists bring down a police helicopter over a city, with basically no chance of being caught?
I have yet to see any drone ever contribute anything positive for this country.

No loss if they are banned.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
no, because WiFi is public and anyone can use it.
Yes, but you can make laws that change that. The law isn't the problem, it's whether it's technically feasible. Could drones be made to work on a specific frequency, which could be blocked near airports?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I would have thought the easy answer is putting a blocker on the network that they woirk on ona 1 mile radius of airports and prisons so that they will not work. If it upsets a few tough luck the national security is greater than any single nerd playing or supplying prisoners with mobile phones or drugs etc.

Prisons - Yes should and could be done. Set up a private LTE network on a non commercial frequency and give special handhelds to members of staff

Airports - That's impossible

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I have yet to see any drone ever contribute anything positive for this country.

No loss if they are banned.

They found that guy that was missing stuck in a bog or summat. He'd be dead otherwise.

All programming that requires aerial shots, search and rescue, checking power lines remotely. Drones are amazing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So who was responsible:

1. A lone nutjob, possibly with a personal grievance against Gatwick.
2. A protest group.
3. Heathrow.
4. The Russians.
5. Someone else.

Can't see it being eco warriors. Probably 4), Putin was trolling the UK yesterday. Probably need get proven though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, but you can make laws that change that. The law isn't the problem, it's whether it's technically feasible. Could drones be made to work on a specific frequency, which could be blocked near airports?

I don't know the technicalities but during discussion on BBCBreakfast this morning, some foreign airports do have a 'ring' of electronic devices around an airfield which repel the drones. I haven't a clue how they work but it was demonstrated.
No doubt they cost a lot of money, which will be the excuse for not having them installed in Britain.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't know the technicalities but during discussion on BBCBreakfast this morning, some foreign airports do have a 'ring' of electronic devices around an airfield which repel the drones. I haven't a clue how they work but it was demonstrated.
No doubt they cost a lot of money, which will be the excuse for not having them installed in Britain.

This answers one of my questions from yesterday...as I thought it odd this had not happened until now. Obviously other airports are much better prepared.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Ban all drones.

Seriously, how long will it be before terrorists bring down a police helicopter over a city, with basically no chance of being caught?

Or worse than that. Banning might deal with chancers and a few loonies but the technology exists and so isn't going to stop extremists. it really is a case of 'when' not 'if' I think

These things have been around for years and I suspect nobody has really bothered too much about the implications and how they can be used to inflict damage. It doesn't require a great deal of imagination to figure out how they can be used to wreak havoc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Nope. The only pic from me is to the old salts on here. Happy Christmas.

Happy Christmas..jpg

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Shoot the things down, how can they be worried about stray bullets when they are shooting upwards.
Get the marksmen in and take them out.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
This answers one of my questions from yesterday...as I thought it odd this had not happened until now. Obviously other airports are much better prepared.

Airports are really only the tip of the iceberg though. Sure, they may well have a solution but pretty well any public place (train stations, stadia, shopping centres) can be targeted. There has to be a more comprehensive solution though f**k knows how you could even begin to think that one through

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Discussions about restricting radio frequencies, jamming them, intercepting them etc. miss the point that once you get beyond the small hobbyist’s drones then many do not rely on any wireless signal at all - they fly either on a pre-programmed flight path or follow some object or person on the ground.

Unless it is considered to be a good idea to block GPS signals around airports there is little you can do other than physically intercept them when they do appear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here