Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drones spotted at LGW.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
I'm still sticking with it being 2 male, Russian tourists, who came all the way to The UK to visit the world famous Queens Square shopping centre in Crawley, thus fulfilling a lifelong ambition, but who were curtailed in doing so on account of it raining.

Can't see it being eco warriors. Probably 4), Putin was trolling the UK yesterday. Probably need get proven though

Yep, my money is on a couple of ex KGB sight seeing tourists too. Putin talking yesterday about Brexit is almost a tacit admission, much like using novichock to try and kill the ex Russian spy.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Yeah, so you shoot it when it's not close to a plane. Otherwise they could maneuver it close to a plane and detonate it. Better the police choose where it could detonate, than the pilot.

I’d get yourself up to Gatwick if I was you.

Your apparent expertise in a situation that has never occurred before would be invaluable to the police.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
BBC South East Twitter quoting Gatwick COO as saying another drone sighting within last hour, but nothing on main BBC or other news site.

BBC fake news or has anyone else heard similar?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yes, but you can make laws that change that. The law isn't the problem, it's whether it's technically feasible. Could drones be made to work on a specific frequency, which could be blocked near airports?

not really, the tech is out there now and drones use wifi, or could be reconfigured to. so solutions come back to some sort of licensing or prohibition.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
how is it now deemed safe enough to resume flights, before any drone user is caught?

were there any drones, at all??

Its just like the Icelandic volcano a while back. The commercial pressures become so great, that they find a reason to decide that actually, it is safe now after all, despite nothing having actually changed.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
how is it now deemed safe enough to resume flights, before any drone user is caught?

were there any drones, at all??

Well if there is no drone then it is obviously safe to fly, but maybe the drone or the drone user has been caught.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
"It's obvious that drones should not be able to get anywhere near an airport before being taken down.
"But the Government has dithered and delayed on regulating drones. Once again, there is a lack of leadership from the Transport Secretary."

Quote from Labour Shadow Transport Secretary. One of the few times I've agreed with something the Labour Party has said.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"It's obvious that drones should not be able to get anywhere near an airport before being taken down.
"But the Government has dithered and delayed on regulating drones. Once again, there is a lack of leadership from the Transport Secretary."

Quote from Labour Shadow Transport Secretary. One of the few times I've agreed with something the Labour Party has said.

presumably the honorable member is thinking along the lines of radar controlled Gatling gun, prehaps like this dotted around airports. cant think any reason why this wouldn't work. :moo:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
not really, the tech is out there now and drones use wifi, or could be reconfigured to.
The fact that the technology is out there doesn't matter, you just make it law that future sales have to be on a different frequency. There could be ways around it, but it would make it a bit harder for those trying to cause problems.
so solutions come back to some sort of licensing or prohibition.
Like what?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I’d get yourself up to Gatwick if I was you.

Your apparent expertise in a situation that has never occurred before would be invaluable to the police.
Interesting attempt at mocking, but I think the police are aware that shooting it down would be preferable to allowing a terrorist to detonate a bomb. It's only a couple of people on here who don't really understand.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Or worse than that. Banning might deal with chancers and a few loonies but the technology exists and so isn't going to stop extremists. it really is a case of 'when' not 'if' I think
Banning would make it more difficult for extremists to practice their flying etc.

These things have been around for years and I suspect nobody has really bothered too much about the implications and how they can be used to inflict damage. It doesn't require a great deal of imagination to figure out how they can be used to wreak havoc
Indeed, and given that, and the fact that you can't really catch anyone, banning them seems like the logical conclusion.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
They found that guy that was missing stuck in a bog or summat. He'd be dead otherwise.

All programming that requires aerial shots, search and rescue, checking power lines remotely. Drones are amazing.
So it could be that they're not allowed to be sold to private individuals, but only specific companies, in small numbers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Chris Grayling in 'Utterly Useless Sack of Sloth Cum' shocker.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here