Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Drones spotted at LGW.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
It is absolutely staggering how a 4ft piece of floating plastic has managed to completely cripple the second biggest airport in the UK for 24 hours+ and counting, grounding 800+ flights, scattering aircraft all over Europe, with still no end in sight. I mean, just THINK about that!

The fact that a geek with a toy from Maplins can bring a major european hub and its airlines to its knees at the busiest time of year is mindboggling.

England. How shit are we ??

Interesting comment from a 'Drone detection' type company on LBC yesterday - He said "this isnt a wake up call (to UK airports); they've been pressing the snooze button for years" :lol:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
If it is a foreign power messing with us, then even if authorities know, announcing it to the world gives them the proaoganda victory and demands some sort of reaction. Sweep it under the carpet and we can avoid a diplomatic incident for the time being, and deny them the propaganda victory of showing the world they can do what they like in the UK.

This seems a bit bigger than the drone issue - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/dec/20/us-and-uk-accuse-china-of-sustained-hacking-campaign

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Interesting comment from a 'Drone detection' type company on LBC yesterday - He said "this isnt a wake up call (to UK airports); they've been pressing the snooze button for years" :lol:

instead of pay large consultancy fees to the company to tell them what they already know they can/cant do.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
instead of pay large consultancy fees to the company to tell them what they already know they can/cant do.

Yep, yesterday went swimmingly didn't it?

"Close the runway"
"open it again"
"No, wait, close it"
"Taxi"
"bring them back"
"Can we shoot it down?"
"no, heath and safety says stray bullets may cause problems"
"don't tell the media"
"tell the media"
"Get the military in"
"Ok we can shoot it now"
"Really?"
"Well, maybe"
"Runway's opening at 4"
"Make that 6"
"7. It's defintely opening at 7"
"How easy is it to shoot a drone?"
"No idea. I think we should track it instead"
"How do you track it then?"
"Erm"

etc etc etc

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
so they haven't caught anyone and lots of crews now stood down .

Very strange all of this.

If what we are told is correct then I doubt this is the end of it

The spokesman at Gatwick, on tv, this morning, said they now know they can shoot them out of the sky. The reluctance to do so earlier was that they weren't sure if they were carrying explosives.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I’m not one for conspiracy theories but this does all seem a bit odd.

Agree completely. The normal conspiracy theories are so ridiculous.

But I think there must be something about this that we are not being told.

Not being able to trace where they were landing and taking off (because there was certainly a number of them)?
I still don't understand why they couldn't have taken it out because of bullets falling to earth. Use a shotgun.
Not being able to intercept or trace the signal ?
Not being able to follow the drone ?

I still think the answer is to fly a few drones round the seafront with trays of chips on them, capture a few of the well fed seagulls and ship them to Gatwick. Take a few hours at most and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The spokesman at Gatwick, on tv, this morning, said they now know they can shoot them out of the sky. The reluctance to do so earlier was that they weren't sure if they were carrying explosives.

But if they are loaded with explosives, surely they sky is the best place to blow them up :shrug:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Agree completely. The normal conspiracy theories are so ridiculous.

But I think there must be something about this that we are not being told.

Not being able to trace where they were landing and taking off (because there was certainly a number of them)?
I still don't understand why they couldn't have taken it out with a shotgun (because of bullets falling to earth ?)
Not being able to intercept or trace the signal ?
Not being able to follow the drone ?

I still think the answer is to fly a few drones round the seafront with trays of chips on them, capture a few of the well fed seagulls and ship them to Gatwick. Take a few hours at most and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover :thumbsup:

because risk assessment, fear of taking responsibility, difficulty of solution to actually work, law. trained seagulls or drones with lasers is obviously the solution, just need to train/build them now.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I’m not one for conspiracy theories but this does all seem a bit odd.
I suspect they know have a good idea who it is and are moving in slowly.

Appears plausible based on intelligence that they now know the drones don't contain explosive or are booby trapped.

Military long lens cameras, pics sent to the security services explosion threat now diminished :)

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Well gave the kids Christmas present a good run out all good and pleased with my purchase. Noticed Gatwick was busy must be the time of year, didn’t notice any planes though very strange ???

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would have thought the easy answer is putting a blocker on the network that they woirk on ona 1 mile radius of airports and prisons so that they will not work. If it upsets a few tough luck the national security is greater than any single nerd playing or supplying prisoners with mobile phones or drugs etc.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Depends where the debris (some of which may still be burning) will land, its not as if they can guarantee it will be hovering over wasteland when its shot at.

But, as I understood it, the drones were hovering (at least part of the time) over a runway, which by definition is large, open and a long way from any buildings

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
But, as I understood it, the drones were hovering (at least part of the time) over a runway, which by definition is large, open and a long way from any buildings

But think of the Children....? What about the Children?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex

understandable but not a reason why they are still not being flown.

I saw those videos yesterday . Taking them out the sky isn't easy.

Amazed its all suddenly just stopped.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

As the Argentinians found out, explosives do a lot of damage to runways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here