Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone season-long loan to Galatasaray

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
“A joy to work” with seems to be GP’s catchphrase replacing CH’s “a team at our level”

Which do you prefer?

These are a good catchphrase.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think the main positive here is that Bloom and Ashworth appear to have gone all-in to back Potter's football philosophy of promoting youth and using attacking players in one-up-front fluid formations. Respectfully, we are always going to struggle with our budget to land top-end PL players, and strikers in particular. So, making places available to young players who Potter has had a chance to assess and thinks have the potential, by offloading signings who have failed to make the grade and / or have other baggage is as likely to keep us up as trying to repeat past failures / limited success signings from elsewhere.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Couple of things to add that others haven't

Andone was an absolute nightmare at deportivo by the end of his time there. He kicked off massively and accused them of keeping him hostage. He was so disruptive they let him go for a tiny amount Vs what they originally wanted.

In the summer he was all over Instagram stories with his agents talking about plotting his next move. Very disrespectful to a club who pay him millions a year.

I think the club's hands were tied in the end. Similar to locadia.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
As far as I am concerned, he single-handedly ruined our good start to the season's momentum. It was 3 points dropped against Shampton that would have seen us sitting in fourth place even with losing to Man City and instead we are in now a relegation battle, with Palace in fourth.

If we need to pull him back off the loan and he comes back more sensible that's fine, but with Connolly and Alzate sniffing at the Prem the door is now open for them.
Tongue firmly is cheek in regards to the relegation battle comment I hope?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I was one of Andone's biggest fans. Pace and nastiness, good finisher. Big potential.

But there's a fine line between having that bit of bite and being a liability.

It's a shame, he's clearly got the talent. But you go around putting in "challenges" like that and it's not going to take VAR to ensure that you miss half the season. He'll get away with way more playing for Galatasary, so it's a good move for him.

We may be light up front but I trust GP. We've played way better football this season than most of last with or without Andone.

£700k and £2.5m saved in wages is probably sensible business when you try to look at it objectively..... Still trying to look at it objectively btw and my "being a massive Albion fan" voice in my head is niggling me.

We'll see!

You’d like to think that we’ll make a nice profit if he does well and the deal is made permanent.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
He also helped kick start our season, scoring with his first touch of the season.

It was indeed a stupid red card, and it did cost us. But he's a capable striker, and cutting our nose off to spite our face doesn't do us any favours.

We can call him back if we have a problem with Maupay, Murray or Connolly, and if GP and Bloom aren't concerned then I won't be either. Not sure what the problem is.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
As I see it we are meant to be winning football matches and not have a splendid group of lads, giving their all, improving and still losing. We need to toughen up and get real.

'Getting Real': We are in a division where in the short term we will always be outspent on wages by probably 15 of the 19 opponents. If we are to compete year on year we need an approach that allows us an advantage. When we were promoted, we tried an approach that sought value from lesser known markets. In Pascal Gross we got a bargain, but some others haven't worked out. Bloom has since brought in Ashworth and then Potter and seems to be trying to accelerate what has always been his stated long term approach: A progression from academy to the first team of players who will be sold on to the big money sides at a profit. Southampton have made millions from this and, if it can be balanced with remaining in this division, it seems the only way of achieving some sort of sustainability. It's not going to be easy and will require that fans toughen up and not have unrealistic expectations.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He's probably got more insight into the club than some "local reporters". With his rep as a journalist and with being an Albion fan.....

Oh I don’t doubt it but even so :shrug:

Andone was an absolute nightmare at deportivo by the end of his time there. He kicked off massively and accused them of keeping him hostage. He was so disruptive they let him go for a tiny amount Vs what they originally wanted.

In the summer he was all over Instagram stories with his agents talking about plotting his next move. Very disrespectful to a club who pay him millions a year.
If that is all true, then it would confirm people's suspicions that the loan-out has little to do with his footballing ability.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade

I thought that was his relegation release clause. Either way, I agree - it looks to me like he's more behind this move than the Albion.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Whilst this does leave us low on attacking options, and whilst I am actually quite sure that Andone could cut it at PL level, after that challenge vs Southampton I find myself not particularly bothered to see him out of the door. I'd rather see Connolly play.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

This is news to me and is useful to understand this side.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I'm really disappointed about this. Think we're light up front. Attitude aside he's our most talented striker imo. Pleased there's a recall option if they're are injuries/things go tits up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here