Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone season-long loan to Galatasaray

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The red card may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but suspect there was far more to it behind the scenes with his camp desperately trying to engineer a move away for him, and the Albion deciding a disruptive sulking player not wanting to be there was the last thing they needed.

He got that goal against Huddersfield, but he was mostly rubbish when he started. Often getting booked early, getting stroppy. Wasn't he so poor home to Newcastle last seasons even Hughton 'no subs till 70mins' had him off at HT.

Massively overrated with the Palace and Huddersfield goals being rare moments. Never worked as hard as Maupay, didn't link up and well, and to be honest didn't score that much either.

Agree with this.

I think the feeling was mutual, Andone engineering his departure too. In the end, it was a no brainer for GP and the club.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The red card may have been the straw that broke the camel's back, but suspect there was far more to it behind the scenes with his camp desperately trying to engineer a move away for him, and the Albion deciding a disruptive sulking player not wanting to be there was the last thing they needed.

He got that goal against Huddersfield, but he was mostly rubbish when he started. Often getting booked early, getting stroppy. Wasn't he so poor home to Newcastle last seasons even Hughton 'no subs till 70mins' had him off at HT.

Massively overrated with the Palace and Huddersfield goals being rare moments. Never worked as hard as Maupay, didn't link up and well, and to be honest didn't score that much either.
I do wonder what kind of player might have arrived if the club spent the initial £15-£20m on him?

Players egos do like their 'statements'.

'We want you, we've been whispering in your ear for 2 years, but we're just going to wait until we can buy you for buttons'.
Hardly sends out a positive vibe, esp when it was at the time (and I know you'll find this hard to believe), the team were struggling for goals.

Sure he still came, when he didn't have too, but nevertheless his disciplinary record alone suggests the poison set in early and never got better.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
I do wonder what kind of player might have arrived if the club spent the initial £15-£20m on him?

Players egos do like their 'statements'.

'We want you, we've been whispering in your ear for 2 years, but we're just going to wait until we can buy you for buttons'.
Hardly sends out a positive vibe, esp when it was at the time (and I know you'll find this hard to believe), the team were struggling for goals.

Sure he still came, when he didn't have too, but nevertheless his disciplinary record alone suggests the poison set in early and never got better.
I thought he had a goal scorer`s experience as in getting in front of the defender against Watford . Showed great pace with goal against Palace and if i can remember was played out on the right wing against Newcastle . We could really do with him now or a replacement it could be the difference between staying up or not . I wonder if Man Utd should of got rid of Roy Keene with that reasoning.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
When Knockaert gets sent off = passion
When Andone = nob

I love Knockaert but he was a bloody idiot too at times, his track record for Reds is a hell of a lot better than Andone's though.

The big difference being Knockaert did quite a lot for us if you recall....

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He alleviated the pressure last season with a vital goal vrs Huddersfield. Provided by Knockeart. Both should be here in my opinion.

A wonderful thing hindsight. I'm inclined to agree with the way things have turned out, but doubtless the club did what they thought was right at the time.

Neither l fear will ever wear the club's colours again.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Agree with this.

I think the feeling was mutual, Andone engineering his departure too. In the end, it was a no brainer for GP and the club.

I saw Gary Neville talk about his ill fated brief stint in management and he was very honest. Spoke about mistakes and in particular not getting rid of players causing trouble within the club when he arrived. He thought he could turn them around, coach them, and make them play for the club again, but they were just poison within the setup.

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
I saw Gary Neville talk about his ill fated brief stint in management and he was very honest. Spoke about mistakes and in particular not getting rid of players causing trouble within the club when he arrived. He thought he could turn them around, coach them, and make them play for the club again, but they were just poison within the setup.

Its all water under the bridge now but i have not heard of any training ground bust ups with Andone . All we know is he wanted more game time hence the move .

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Its all water under the bridge now but i have not heard of any training ground bust ups with Andone . All we know is he wanted more game time hence the move .

Yeah can't feel there was a lot of bad feeling after the lack of game time under Hughton so Potter inherited a bit of a mess. Shame as I think he was a good player and gave us options.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

All we know is very little - indeed. Hence concluding it was Potter's decision to ship him out is also pure speculation. I'm glad Albion run a tight ship and we don't have lots of leaks and press briefings behind people's backs. I will go back to Paul Hayward though, chief sports writer, Albion fan and not one to stir up trouble or promote rumour did say that if Andone was to have had a leaving party from the club, it could have fitted in a telephone box.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Subs appearances in the first two matches and a start in his third (and final) match for BHA indicates for me that he was very much in GP's plans for the season. Going out on loan after the window closed and leaving us a short in attack indicates that there was more to this than most of us will know about.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Can’t blame him played well away at Spurs last season gave us an outlet and was rightfully pissed off when subbed, why Hughton subbed him for Murray only Hughton knows. We all know what happened after that decision. I don’t believe he was anywhere near getting a second yellow either as some will roll out that excuse.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Dress it up anyway you like. Letting him go when was had such a paucity of options up front was terrible judgment and a big mistake.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Dress it up anyway you like. Letting him go when was had such a paucity of options up front was terrible judgment and a big mistake.

I'll dress it up then: not only did he get sent off early in the season (not his first red offence/ban either) but he couldn't see that he'd done anything wrong in the incident. He was/is a 'dickhead'. We can't know whether keeping him was even more terrible judgment and a bigger mistake than letting him go. What we can say is that not getting a replacement in in January, and early January at that, is currently looking very much like terrible judgment and a big mistake.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'll dress it up then: not only did he get sent off early in the season (not his first red offence/ban either) but he couldn't see that he'd done anything wrong in the incident. He was/is a 'dickhead'. We can't know whether keeping him was even more terrible judgment and a bigger mistake than letting him go. What we can say is that not getting a replacement in in January, and early January at that, is currently looking very much like terrible judgment and a big mistake.

Both were mistakes. The January one gross complacency in fact. Some players are dickheads but that's where a manager needs to earn his money. I am convinced we'd have far more clinical conversion stats if we'd kept Florin and I'm convinced we'd have some 2020 wins if we'd signed a striker in January. Even West Hams modest investment in a Hull player has reaped rewards.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here