Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Glenn Murray ........... ????

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Father time will/has catch up with Muzza, so you are ultimately correct.

But for seasons 2017/18 and 2018/19, perhaps the service was shite, with the ‘creators’ failing to pass to whoever our striker was at the right moment?

Separately, you could clearly see Stephens desperate to pass to a Propper, Gross, Jahanbakhsh or Locadia making a run, but each was superglued to their spot on the pitch.

The change in coach and some new players this summer, can only mean an end to all that dross. Genuinely interesting and exciting times ahead.

this

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Anyone suggesting that our most natural and prolific scorer (even at 35) does not have a significant amount to offer at the club next season is simply mad. Extra service from a more attacking philosophy might actually see Glenn go on and break more records. Granted he will not be the long term answer but at the moment he is the best striker on our books

I doubt Glen will be able to keep up to speed this season for a whole game. He will either start but won't finish or will finish but only for the last 20 mins

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Where as anyone who doesn't think he's completely at odds with fast one touch counterattacking football is simply delusional.
But not only that they are denying themselves all the evidence, they saw with their own eyes, through 2019.

What fast one touch counterattacking football was Glenn out of touch with?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I doubt Glen will be able to keep up to speed this season for a whole game. He will either start but won't finish or will finish but only for the last 20 mins

As much as I still rate him, that was the case last season. Yet a desperate or untrusting of the others CH, sometimes flogged the bloke for the bulk of matches.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No help on that. I'd assume from the fact that Clarke has NOT been given Bruno's number 2, that we have not finished shopping for defenders, though.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if we kept that number unused for a season or two. I fully expect a new right back - but would be surprised if he gets No 2

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
As much as I still rate him, that was the case last season. Yet a desperate or untrusting of the others CH, sometimes flogged the bloke for the bulk of matches.

This. A couple of injuries and a red card kept Andone out of a few games, not wanting to play big Jurg up front on his own and CH would keep GM on for 90 mins when he was clearly knackered.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Appreciate all he has done for the club, but cannot be a regular first team member in the Premeir League at 36. He will be tbe oldest 'striker' of all the teams in the top leagues in Europe. Bit/cup game player at best this season.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It doesn't matter.

He'll still score at least 10 goals this season.

You can almost set your watch by Glenn Murray - he's that reliable.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Obviously Murray does need phased out at some stage, and cannot be our first choice striker next season, however in Murray we posses something most bottom half teams would give their left limb for...a proven premiership goalscorer. I suggest we keep him in a glass box on Potter's mantlepiece, with 'BREAK GLASS IN CASE OF EMERGENCY' written in the front. Murray still has a lot more to give. You only have to look at the likes of Quagliarella in Italy to see how older players are still doing it at the top level.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Murray would be ideal as our 75th minute "need a goal" substitute who we can lump it forward to and who will cause mischief, especially in these VAR days. But he shouldn't be a regular starter by any means.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I just can’t see Potter relying on Glenn in the way Hughton did. I’ve watched the Ostersunds play reel (tragic I know) and some of Swansea’s games last season (even more tragic arguably) and he has NEVER seen the need for a goal hanger like Glenn to bale his teams out.

I agree he hasn’t ever HAD a Murray type in his teams but his signings indicate he’s going to play a strong Diamond through midfield with pace on the wings and multitasking players rather than “defend in depth and break”

Obviously it’s going to be a roller coaster to begin with but Murray doesn’t fit any model I envisage Potter using.

If we start badly or our players can’t adapt maybe...but I’ll be hugely surprised if Murray features for quite a while. He’s kept him, so can see some use...but I’m struggling with this.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But I'm not talking about his past contributions, which are legendary.

I just don't see him having anything else to give, for the future.

But as CJ has pointed out, you said EXACTLY the same thing a year ago, and were proved wrong, yet you still log online everyday to stick the knife in to the bloke.

The club bought in a young proven striker and the manager refused to play him, favouring a completely ineffectual lumbering unit who offered 1 moment (from really shitehouse defending) through the last half of the season.

Murray scored seven times from the end of January onwards. How do six of those goals not count as offering anything, exactly?

Now the hope seems to be Murray will drag even more new signings down to his level.

See that? /\ /\

That isn't just objective assessment of a player's worth. It is unnecessary, spiteful, snide. You're supposed to be a Brighton fan :shrug:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Now March and Knocky...and Andone / Locadia...different kettle, different fish. Hell. Potter might even get a tune out of Ali J.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Has Murray personally done something to [MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION]? This is genuinely getting a bit weird.

We get it - you don't think he should be our main striker this coming season. Almost everyone in the thread agrees that he will have at least a partially diminished role this year, due to his age and now near chronic lack of pace, however he still has certain attributes that can and will make him a very useful member of the squad.

Why not just leave it there?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here