Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Yesterday 40k cases UK, France 4k case

Imagine the hysteria in the British press if it was the reverse?

So you slammed the government for not testing, now we are testing more than anyone you slam them for testing and finding cases

What’s the percentage of positive tests?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So you slammed the government for not testing, now we are testing more than anyone you slam them for testing and finding cases

What’s the percentage of positive tests?

When did I slam them for not testing?

France is testing less to some degree and I'm sure are others. The different is migitation, here its just vax, vax, vax and hope nothing bad happens

This situation is far from ideal, amazes so few see it as an issue. Its only early October

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
The thing about the French current numbers, is that cases are about 15% of our numbers based on the last 7 days, but deaths are 37%.

Which means that one or both of the following must be true:

1. France is missing a higher proportion of cases, probably by not testing as much.
2. The death rate per case in France is much higher than ours.

I suspect a bit of both. But it does also make me wonder if the number of deaths may be understated simply because of the lower testing.

I don't think there is much doubt that they have less than we do, because the disparity in numbers is too great to be explained any other way. But the disparity may be less than it appears at first sight.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The thing about the French current numbers, is that cases are about 15% of our numbers based on the last 7 days, but deaths are 37%.

1. France is missing a higher proportion of cases, probably by not testing as much.

I suspect a bit of both. But it does also make me wonder if the number of deaths may be understated simply because of the lower testing.

I don't think there is much doubt that they have less than we do, because the disparity in numbers is too great to be explained any other way. But the disparity may be less than it appears at first sight.

The fact is we between 2 and 3 times the deaths of France, Spain, Italy, Germany...

We are some way ahead on the vaccine rollout at the start, but that's all in the rear view mirror now. If you don't put in mitigations you will get higher cases and lose more people.

This is the choice our government has taken, leave stable door open and hope the horse doesn't bolt.

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

I can tell you on the basis of your numbers what is true, 3 times, yes three times more people are dying in the UK from Covid than our French counterparts. That is appalling, and some very basic measures could bring that death toll, cases numbers and long covid plus risk of getting flu significantly down.

Yoda

English & European
I can tell you on the basis of your numbers what is true, 3 times, yes three times more people are dying in the UK from Covid than our French counterparts. That is appalling, and some very basic measures could bring that death toll, cases numbers and long covid plus risk of getting flu significantly down.

How about encouraging as many unvaccinated people to take up the offer of one? On the most up to date ONS report, in total, only 256 deaths were classed as breakthrough deaths. Of those there were 193 classed as already clinically extremely
vulnerable.

In the grand scheme of things, those numbers are now tiny compared to the unvaxxed.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Interestingly, the current daily average deaths in the UK is 111, split 81 England, 18 Scotland, 7 Wales, 5 Northern Ireland. And if the 111 were shared out according to population, the expected figures would be 81 England, 18 Scotland, 7 Wales, 5 Northern Ireland. Net, isn't it? It's so rare to find a statistic, especially a 5-fold statistic, where the actual result is exactly the same as the hypothetical, expected result. If you just toss a coin twice, with only two possible results, to get exactly 1 head and 1 tail only happens half the time; to get the exact correlation on a 4-way variable is very unusual. No doubt by tomorrow or the day after it will be one or two out. Perfection can't last.

(But it does suggest that introducing the very basic measures such as the have in Scotland and Wales is not a panacea that cures all ills. It appears to make marginal difference at best. Other factors are more significant.)

Population figures here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_population
Deaths figures taken from the UK coronavirus daily update.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Interestingly, the current daily average deaths in the UK is 111, split 81 England, 18 Scotland, 7 Wales, 5 Northern Ireland. And if the 111 were shared out according to population, the expected figures would be 81 England, 18 Scotland, 7 Wales, 5 Northern Ireland. Net, isn't it? It's so rare to find a statistic, especially a 5-fold statistic, where the actual result is exactly the same as the hypothetical, expected result. If you just toss a coin twice, with only two possible results, to get exactly 1 head and 1 tail only happens half the time; to get the exact correlation on a 4-way variable is very unusual. No doubt by tomorrow or the day after it will be one or two out. Perfection can't last.

(But it does suggest that introducing the very basic measures such as the have in Scotland and Wales is not a panacea that cures all ills. It appears to make marginal difference at best. Other factors are more significant.)

Population figures here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countries_of_the_United_Kingdom_by_population
Deaths figures taken from the UK coronavirus daily update.

I do think every country faces it's own challenges and you can't just copy from another one. For example I don't think the Swedish approach early on in the pandemic would have worked because at time this country doesn't do the whole common sense thing that well. However we were never going to get down to New Zealand levels of infections.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1447977290588168194[/tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
:lolol: What a pillock!
An angry man peering through the window of Currys, or did he actually mean more than one curry?

It just counting I guess

Remember it wasn't that long ago Ireland was being ridiculed by the sectors of the UK press for being in the EU vaccine rollout and lagging us.

The UK government will soon realise vaccines at this stage in the pandemic are not a silver bullet, it also requires mitigations and maybe a bit of clarity and leadership.

Or George Freeman, is it because we're all too fat?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
It just counting I guess

Remember it wasn't that long ago Ireland was being ridiculed by the sectors of the UK press for being in the EU vaccine rollout and lagging us.

The UK government will soon realise vaccines at this stage in the pandemic are not a silver bullet, it also requires mitigations and maybe a bit of clarity and leadership.

Or George Freeman, is it because we're all too fat?

Where are all the parents that said they would jab their kids?

11% so far

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Wears his mask in (presumably) his house …can’t be too careful

It's just another one just playing to his echo chamber isn't it, people lap this nonsense up and share it on other platforms.

The other stupid thing is that he's quoting 0 reported deaths in Ireland. I spent two minutes checking and since this summer they only seem to report the death figures on a Wednesday over there so 6 days a week every week the reported deaths in Ireland is 0.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Where are all the parents that said they would jab their kids?

11% so far

Yeah its a bit slow, from my experience a lot will getting done in the next few days as schools are doubling up with the flu jab. So relieved this is happening

Meanwhile today highest case numbers since full easing on July 18, this isn't where we should be now...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i wouldnt call it slow, it seems like a uncoordinated mess. some schools have done flu but not ready for covid, others have them together, yet others plan to have them seperate. certainly not the rollout we expected.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Yeah its a bit slow, from my experience a lot will getting done in the next few days as schools are doubling up with the flu jab. So relieved this is happening

Meanwhile today highest case numbers since full easing on July 18, this isn't where we should be now...

We are giving kids flu jabs ?

Used to be just the over 55s

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here