Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Stronger or Weaker

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yes, we've lost (for a little matter not far short of £100M) two of our best players, so obviously the team is weaker - but - at the end of last season the likes of Caicedo, Mwepu and Mac Argie were looking better and better, and in pre-season so has March. Plus the new lads coming in haven't looked to shady either. Then there's Colwill; I'm glad we didnt spaff a third of the Cucurella fee to buy him, but Chelsea must think he's good enough to cut his teeth in the PL - they wouldn't have loaned him to sit on the bench. He might well not play every game, but I suspect he'll have a role in covering the gap until we get the succession planning for Cucu in place - we'll have got that going already - just need to bring it forward by a year or two.

BTW, I'm not at all sure there is a direct replacement available for Cucu out there. His ability to fill two or three positions at the same time doesn't happen very often. Terry Cooper and Max Breitner did, but such are rare beasts!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
We are neither nor.

Lol. We don’t have a left back, the one we did have was our POTS, we’ve lost our only true CDM (ball recovery, before someone gets the flow charts out) but we’ve added a couple of raw players who’ve never kicked a ball in anger in the Premier League or anything that resembles a top European league. We’re very much weaker.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Does it not make sense to bring in players early and get them into pre season rather then at the end of the window when games are underway, we have spent only more money then Bournemouth and Leicester who’s spent £0, will just have to see what happens we have sold some players for big fees.

We waited and waited and waited with Cucu last year. Turns out that he was one of the best signings in the history of the club.

I’m confused as to why we didn’t strengthen before we sold but I’m prepared to give the recruitment team time to get in the additional talent we need to improve last season’s position.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Oh weaker, but morally stronger, by retaining players who want to be here and aren’t just feathering their own gilt-edged nests.

I’d take weaker but truer any day of the week, including a wet Sunday morning in Skegness.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Head says definitely weaker, but still excited for the season and what the others can do. Would agree we need to look for a left back, at least to challenge Solly, but I am in no means fretting about it. A couple of games will tell!

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I am not concerned about Bissouma - we have cover and maybe a better player in that position. I am concerned about Cucurella - hard act to follow. Still we have new attacking options and we will see how it goes!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Lol. We don’t have a left back, the one we did have was our POTS, we’ve lost our only true CDM (ball recovery, before someone gets the flow charts out) but we’ve added a couple of raw players who’ve never kicked a ball in anger in the Premier League or anything that resembles a top European league. We’re very much weaker.
Wot he said

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
I am not concerned about Bissouma - we have cover and maybe a better player in that position. I am concerned about Cucurella - hard act to follow. Still we have new attacking options and we will see how it goes!

Better? Biss in the last 2 seasons is one of the best players I’ve ever seen at the Amex - Albion or opposition.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
So we’re likely to replace those 2 in the line up with Mwepu and Webster on Sunday.
With a bench something like Lamptey, Maupay, Sarmiento, Colwill, Mitoma, Alzate, Lallana, JPVH - and players like Enciso and Ferguson and Undav maybe not even getting a look in. It’s hardly scraping the barrel is it ?
Of course we’ll miss em but the gnashing and wailing is a bit premature given there’s precious little chance of Potter not being given further signings to strengthen his squad in the next few weeks. If the team that found Cucurella etc can’t be trusted to do the business who can !
PS : palace are definitely missing Conor Gallagher. You’ve got to replace your best players ha ha …

Last edited:

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Positive slant as always Jem I’m inclined to agree
With what GP has available I have a suspicion the formation maybe a bit lopsided
Let’s just enjoy the journey and see how it goes

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
I’m feeling positive.

I think many teams will see Albion as a pushover having lost their two best players - the pressure will be less on Potter.

We definitely have more attacking potential (difficult to have less based on the ‘Maupay or nothing’ formula from most of last season).

A weaker team yes, but still positive IFYKWIM.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I would say weaker , however i trust in Graham to get the best out of those who start and i am sure he will be a manager who can make the best use of the 5 subs . Really looking forward to Sunday when we get the first real chance to get a handle on how this season may pan out .

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
I thought we were weak last season(except away form) hopefully we’ll be stronger this season
Bissouma spent most of the season worrying about a potential court case(affecting his performances) don’t think he’ll be missed with Caceido & Mwepu taking over
Cucerella apparently has always been a Chelsea fan so won’t miss him either
March and Trossard covering his position
Undev will be surprise package taking the prem by storm
So to wrap it all up
Top 6 Europa league spot

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
So we’re likely to replace those 2 in the line up with Mwepu and Webster on Sunday.
With a bench something like Lamptey, Maupay, Sarmiento, Colwill, Mitoma, Alzate, Lallana, JPVH - and players like Enciso and Ferguson and Undav maybe not even getting a look in. It’s hardly scraping the barrel is it ?
Of course we’ll miss em but the gnashing and wailing is a bit premature given there’s precious little chance of Potter not being given further signings to strengthen his squad in the next few weeks. If the team that found Cucurella etc can’t be trusted to do the business who can !
PS : palace are definitely missing Conor Gallagher. You’ve got to replace your best players ha ha …

Impressive length of reply without actually answering the very simple question.

See if you can actually bring yourself to answer the question, short format, no essays, weaker or stronger, it’s one or the other…

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Weaker.. the general feel of the thread is weaker but richer..

Question has to be will we get decent incoming players this window? (please no re hash of the loanees returning, or the outlay on Enciso). I actually mean will we show some ambition in buying some quality to re invigorate the squad?
Most clubs can handle selling 1 key player. So far we have sold 2 (TWO) and our top scorer for the past 3 seasons could well go too. Call me Naive, over worried, but its hardly like we have a production line of left backs OR strikers ready and waiting to fill champions league standard players departing..
The way this window has gone I would not be in the slightest bit surprised to see bids come in now for Sanchez and Trossard. And then it would be very interesting to see if money OR total destabilization of a squad is going to be the driving factor..
Dont get me wrong, I understand the need for balancing books, but if we become complacent that we are now a top half team and we will be alright, look at what happened in previous years to teams such as Leeds and Sheff Utd..

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'd say we are a little weaker. I am excited about the returning loanees though.

I think that we will struggle a little more than last season and I am expecting a bit of a rebuild season as the team evolves a little. I don't think we will hit the top half again this season but longer term I believe we will be stronger.

This may all change if we spend a bit in the remainder of the window before it gently kisses closed . . . although I don't think we will spend a huge amount.

Some patience will be required this season.

Edit: We have plenty of players who have the potential to 'step up' this season as influential players in the team, influential enough to cover the influence of our outgoing players.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Weaker, obviously. We've lost one of the best midfielders in the league and one of the best lb/lwb's in the league. At the moment we haven't brought anyone in to replace them so it's difficult to argue we're stronger.

The question really is: how much weaker?

I think we can cover for Bissouma without too much loss of performance. We have plenty of quality in that area if not a direct replacement for his specific skill set.

It's Cucu that in terms of the team is the bigger loss, I think. Excellent as a LWB but also as a CB. He brought to our team the thrusting forward runs from the back that Ben White provided and which we had been lacking since he moved to Arsenal. March can do a solid job deputising at LWB but that would then mean Lamptey playing regularly on the other side. Is he up to that? And if he isn't then it means Veltman playing there, or March swapping flanks and Trossard going to LWB. Doable but not ideal and stretches our resources thin.

We need to replace Cucu, it would be nice to replace Bissouma.

That all said even if we replace neither I think we'll have enough about us to stay up just not to maintain a top half finish. There are plenty of positives to look forward to for the coming season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here