Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Steve Wright Ageism Row

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I like Planet Rock, both their choice of music and their DJ's who "walk the walk" in pub type bands.

Rick Wakeman used to co host a show, he was brilliant. AND he's played in a few pub type bands.

The fact we're discussing M&S threads on a R2 thread speaks volumes for out rock n roll credentials!

R2 died about 10 years ago, they canned all the decent music shows, blues, folk etc, all the DJ's that were any good ended up on 6. those that weren't like Evans ended up doing commercial Radio dirge for anyone who'd pay them

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Thinking about the original title of this thread, and having been sidetracked myself by the M&S bit, it seems a bit daft to talk about something like this in terms of ageism. Whether it’s the BBC or a commercial station, they need to make decisions and judgements about the style of their broadcasting, the audience they’re appealing to and so on, so any implication of wrongful dismissal, for example, would surely go out the window.

Obviously a contract is a contract, but if you no longer “fit”, then you would expect to be moved aside, and SW seemed to accept this anyway when interviewed last week. Times change. Fashions change.

I know Ken Bruce is older, but I like him and lots of other people seem to also. Personally I thought that Terry Wogan was enormously overrated, but realise I’m probably in a minority of one there…… but he stayed on for a reason - people liked him.

I think a lot of the appeal with Wogan was although they paid him a fortune - probably meaning he wouldn't have lasted too much longer if he hadn't retired - he was otherwise low maintenance and turned up every morning and talked into a microphone for three hours with the minimum of planning (relative to producing a national radio show). I liked the first few years of Chris Evans when he took over from him but it turned into a soap opera about his family.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I listened to Steve Wright on Radio1 in the 80's, it was drivel then. He is doing exactly the same show now nigh on 40 years later its still drivel.

Him being sacked is about ageism as much as Hughton being sacked was racist. Its the same as when Bannister changed radio 1 way back when, it was all about keeping the target audience, rather than keeping the same DJs with the same ever aging audience. There is almost a progression from Radio 1 to Radio 2, the audience grows older with the DJs, Scott Mills will undoubtedly take a large number of his audience with him and the Radio one schedule will refresh with someone who brings in a younger core audience, so any ageism isnt about Steve Wright, its about his audience

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Chris Evans. Now there’s a fake, insincere, sycophantic, over stimulated little twerp, if ever there was one.

Loved it when he left The Big Breakfast and the infinitely funnier and genuine Johnny Vaughan too over.

Evans’ career from the very start has grated and screeched at an astonishingly successful speed. I couldn’t stand him form the moment he appeared.

One of the many personalities that latched onto “cool Britannia” and “Brit pop”, along with Zoe Ball, Mark Lamar, Sara Cox etc who have no discernible talent of their own but got papped a few times out on the razz with the Gallaghers and Blur etc and got to interview them (poorly) on prime time telly.

They only ever got in the way when I was watching music programs. Just **** off Evans and let them play the music.

Evans’ whole technique is based around sucking up to the guests and pretending to like “cool” things like vintage cars and The Italian Job. Or whatever the guests said they liked. Hearing him talk about football was excruciating. Let alone the endless stories of his family.

A true example of an irritating little geek, with no personality or tastes of his own, who landed with his arse in the butter. He can’t believe his bloody luck. His “zany personality” is off-the-rack, paint by numbers, 6th form and as insincere as it is irritating.

I take some comfort from the many tales of musicians and industry people that think he’s an egotistical little ****.

But people seem to like him. So once again, I’m the bozo on this bus.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’d agree with the exception of some of their comedy. Especially The Now Show.

And Woman’s Hour has gone shite in the last few years. But yes, the vast majority of their output is superb.

I love Woman's Hour.

True about the comedy, the political satire. Essentially variations of the same quips about Johnson and Starmer, on repeat, month after month.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Chris Evans. Now there’s a fake, insincere, sycophantic, over stimulated little twerp, if ever there was one.

Loved it when he left The Big Breakfast and the infinitely funnier and genuine Johnny Vaughan too over.

Evans’ career from the very start has grated and screeched at an astonishingly successful speed. I couldn’t stand him form the moment he appeared.

One of the many personalities that latched onto “cool Britannia” and “Brit pop”, along with Zoe Ball, Sara Cox etc who have no discernible talent of their own but got papped a few times out on the razz with the Gallaghers and Blur etc and got to interview them (poorly) on prime time telly. They only ever got in the way when I was watching music programs. Just **** off Evans and let them play the music.

Evans’ whole technique is based around sucking up to the guests and pretending to like “cool” things like vintage cars and The Italian Job. Or whatever the guests said they liked. Hearing him talk about football was excruciating. Let alone the endless stories of his family. A true example of an irritating little geek, with no personality or tastes of his own, who landed with his arse in the butter. He can’t believe his bloody luck.

Couldn't stand Evans, from the very beginning of his fame.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I like familiarity, SW provides that although rarely listen to his show because of work. Anyway, he’s an excellent presenter despite what people say because if he wasn’t then he wouldn’t have been in his job for 4 decades. Time for a change I suppose, it arrives eventually.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

One of the many personalities that latched onto “cool Britannia” and “Brit pop”, along with Zoe Ball, Mark Lamar, Sara Cox etc who have no discernible talent of their own but got papped a few times out on the razz with the Gallaghers and Blur etc and got to interview them (poorly) on prime time telly.

They only ever got in the way when I was watching music programs. Just **** off Evans and let them play the music.

Evans’ whole technique is based around sucking up to the guests and pretending to like “cool” things like vintage cars and The Italian Job. Or whatever the guests said they liked. Hearing him talk about football was excruciating. Let alone the endless stories of his family.

A true example of an irritating little geek, with no personality or tastes of his own, who landed with his arse in the butter. He can’t believe his bloody luck. His “zany personality” is off-the-rack, paint by numbers, 6th form and as insincere as it is irritating.

I take some comfort from the many tales of musicians and industry people that think he’s an egotistical little ****.

Hard to argue with any of that!

Back on topic, Steve Wright’s show is just the same as it was when I first heard it. I don’t much like his musical taste, His singing along irritates me as does his moronic Serious Jockin Friday afternoon slot.

I turn Radio Two off after Ken Bruce as Jeremy Vine also grinds my gears :smile:

I won’t miss Steve Wright, I thought he was well passed his sell by date 10 years ago

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Not sure about the whole 'ageism' thing (this is the first I've seen of it being a 'row', if I'm honest), it's probably more to do with the BBC's much-publicised need to cut costs and Wright being the third best rewarded 'talent' at the corporation: https://www.statista.com/statistics/727566/highest-earning-bbc-employees/

I have it on good authority that SW is the holder of a very prestigious financial payment tool, and is an absolute bell end of the highest proportion in terms with an overinflated sense of his own status and celebrity.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Steve Wright was crap when he was on Radio 1 back in the day.

He hasn't got any better.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Scott Mills is possibly the worst DJ on radio

See post above for who is definitely the worst DJ on the radio.

Spot on [MENTION=33848]The Clamp[/MENTION] :lolol:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Agreed. He is just the sort of dinosaur the Beeb need to be getting shot of. The boomer, “what’s for me”? generation who are on the gravy train and rude to lower paid staff have no place in a modern BBC. Well done to Aunty for recognising this.

He was past his sell by date when leaving R1, let alone now 25 years later!

By the way, M&S were doing some great clothing 10 years ago when I was younger than you are now, just need to get past your dads range first. Although to be fair, maybe your dads range might suit you? :lol:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Couldn't stand Evans, from the very beginning of his fame.

Same.

In the mid 90s I received a phone call from a lady asking me about Chris Evans and did I watch him on tv, I told her I didn’t like him ( I was trying to be polite ) I really wanted to say he’s an annoying ****
A few days later a friend of my ex wife asked me if I received a phone call about Evans (she knew I had) the phone call was from someone on Chris Evan’s show ‘Don’t Forget Your Toothbrush’. Apparently my ex wife’s friend knew someone on the show and nominated us to be on the show (see below) because I said I didn’t like Evans there was no chance of us being on his tv show :lolol:

E348C4CF-15D7-4B27-ACBE-F835152882BE.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Radio 2 is appalling in the afternoons.

Jeremy Vine to go next please. Unbearable.

I'm going to buck the trend on here; I like Scott Mills.

Hard to argue with any of that!

Back on topic, Steve Wright’s show is just the same as it was when I first heard it. I don’t much like his musical taste, His singing along irritates me as does his moronic Serious Jockin Friday afternoon slot.

I turn Radio Two off after Ken Bruce as Jeremy Vine also grinds my gears :smile:

I won’t miss Steve Wright, I thought he was well passed his sell by date 10 years ago

I used to like Vine. A smattering of post-punk music and lengthy chats with experts about eg health issues.

In the last 2 or 3 years, including on his C5 prog, he’s morphed into a tabloid-esque shit stirrer. Baiting both sides of debates, to get callers. Almost every day the very same topics - lockdowns, Johnson, does Starmer lack charisma? Kelvin McKenzie with a posh accent.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Ask anyone in the broadcasting industry and Steve Wright is a naturally gifted broadcaster with a passion for radio who has been attracting and retaining daily audiences of multple-millions for over 40 years.

Ask NSC and he is shit and always has been. :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Same.

In the mid 90s I received a phone call from a lady asking me about Chris Evans and did I watch him on tv, I told her I didn’t like him ( I was trying to be polite ) I really wanted to say he’s an annoying ****
A few days later a friend of my ex wife asked me if I received a phone call about Evans (she knew I had) the phone call was from someone on Chris Evan’s show ‘Don’t Forget Your Toothbrush’. Apparently my ex wife’s friend knew someone on the show and nominated us to be on the show (see below) because I said I didn’t like Evans there was no chance of us being on his tv show :lolol:

View attachment 149370

Good one.

I know 3 Evans fanatics. 2 in my family, 1 a colleague, all thinking of him as saintly. “How do you like your (fkn) cornflakes in the morning?” Piss off Evans.

When he recently left the BBC and claimed (cough) it wasn’t for the money, my colleague went through the stages of grief. Eventually settling on not liking him forever … when she realised he lied and was very, very money driven.

If only she’d listened to the rest of us who’d always called him a Grade A Cock.

Does he still stick his nose into the BBC’s otherwise excellent coverage of the British Open golf? Horrible seeing his mutt.

D

Deleted member 2719

Ken Bruce is 71.

Ken Bruce is boring, I often think they just have a tape recording of him playing.....he is so repetitive imo.

Wrighty, much more entertaining, but still time to go for him I reckon.

Mills is pants though, is that the best the beeb can do?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here