Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Sussex CCC- 2022 Season Edition

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Has any county gone a whole summer without winning in any format?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Surely when the required run rate got so high Rawlins should have come in at 4 instead of Bopara
Dangerous thinking. Bopara is a seasoned international and a great finisher. If he deems it the right thing to knock a few singles around as the run rate climbs out of control then it must be...

Sent from my SM-A127F using Tapatalk

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Disappointing.

Worrying on all parts. Bowling not reliable like previous years. I was expecting the batting to be better but it’s once again reliant on one of the openers exploding… and Rizwan has with little support.

Missing Wiese, Salt and Jordan so much.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Cant believe what I have just heard Kirtley say. Mills did not play because don't want him playing twice in 2 days. Seriously Just 8 overs in 2 days.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Dangerous thinking. Bopara is a seasoned international and a great finisher. If he deems it the right thing to knock a few singles around as the run rate climbs out of control then it must be...

He used to be. I can't think of the last time he played a decent innings. I don't think he ever has for us off the top of my head.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He used to be. I can't think of the last time he played a decent innings. I don't think he ever has for us off the top of my head.

Bopara has one way - pinch singles, play with a calm head, build a foundation .
This is useless in t20 cricket 80% of the time.

Last edited:

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Cant believe what I have just heard Kirtley say. Mills did not play because don't want him playing twice in 2 days. Seriously Just 8 overs in 2 days.

Given that the ultimate aim of every team in the competition (however unlikely), that makes retaining Mills utterly pointless as a) There will be occasions where one does have to play twice in 2 days and b) If Sussex do get to finals day they have to play twice in 1 day. Madness.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Has any county gone a whole summer without winning in any format?

If Robinson was in favour with the test side, its possible.
We aren’t the only crap team though so I should think pujara and Robinson will win us a few games.
We are probably weaker at t20 than anything else now. Only last season, we had a very good team.

Feb 14, 2010
I see Robinson is injured. No idea what England do with our fast bowling talent. I heard an interesting theory that coaches are tinkering with bowling actions and causing injuries. Whatever they are doing, the results are poor.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I see Robinson is injured. No idea what England do with our fast bowling talent. I heard an interesting theory that coaches are tinkering with bowling actions and causing injuries. Whatever they are doing, the results are poor.

I can understand coaches tinkering with the way a bowler holds the ball and releases it, or the angle and pace of delivery, but when they try to make fundamental changes such as a bowler’s stride, action, follow through, etc then I see this as a recipe for disaster and injury.

Bowling has to be natural.

Seems like the coaches are trying to influence the wrong things.

How about trying to get more kids playing and loving cricket at school?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I can understand coaches tinkering with the way a bowler holds the ball and releases it, or the angle and pace of delivery, but when they try to make fundamental changes such as a bowler’s stride, action, follow through, etc then I see this as a recipe for disaster and injury.

Bowling has to be natural.

Seems like the coaches are trying to influence the wrong things.

How about trying to get more kids playing and loving cricket at school?
How many schools have cricket pitches? How many even have room for a cricket pitch?

Expense and logistics also a problem - the kit isn't cheap, and one cricket match only engages a very small percentage of the pupils at a time. Also these days H&S considerations for other pupils doing other activities in the vicinity - cricket balls really can do damage. Sadly, cricket in schools, particularly in state schools, is likely to diminish even further, not re-grow,

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
How many schools have cricket pitches? How many even have room for a cricket pitch?

Expense and logistics also a problem - the kit isn't cheap, and one cricket match only engages a very small percentage of the pupils at a time. Also these days H&S considerations for other pupils doing other activities in the vicinity - cricket balls really can do damage. Sadly, cricket in schools, particularly in state schools, is likely to diminish even further, not re-grow,
We had 200 children training at Abergavenny on Friday night (Dynamos, All Stars and the girls teams). The kit and years subscription cost £40, I think that’s pretty good value for the coaching they get. I’d say that 90% of the kids there are at state schools.

The schools might be struggling but the clubs are doing a good job.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
We had 200 children training at Abergavenny on Friday night (Dynamos, All Stars and the girls teams). The kit and years subscription cost £40, I think that’s pretty good value for the coaching they get. I’d say that 90% of the kids there are at state schools.

The schools might be struggling but the clubs are doing a good job.
Yes, fair enough - I think it will definately be down to the clubs rather than the schools if cricket is going to survive long term.

Last edited:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Yes, fair enough - I think it will definately be down to the clubs rather than the schools of cricket is going to survive long term.
We’re pretty lucky with our schools in my area, Crickhowell High School is our local and they do run cricket teams (although they play at Crickhowell CC rather than at the school as the artificial pitch hasn’t been maintained). I’d agree though that it’s unusual to find cricket outside of public schools where cricket is obviously still thriving. Having PE teachers who are interested in the game helps.

Feb 14, 2010
School finishes for summer when the cricket season is not even halfway through. Clubs are more important than schools and they seem to be booming.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It a shame when there are so many obstacles being put in the way of kids playing sport at school. It can come down to the attitude of the teachers.

I watched around 30 kids (aged 5/6?) playing rounders in a local park the other day. All it took were a few markers, a soft ball and two bats - a cricket bat and a rounders thingy. The most important ingredient tho was an ultra enthusiastic teacher who gave everyone a chance, encouraged and made it fun, eg high fiving every kid even for the smallest achievement. The TA stood close by in her fluorescent jacket holding the first aid kid…… totally disinterested!

The kids loved it. Ok it wasn’t proper cricket but it was a bat and a ball and running, helping hand eye co ordination and general fitness, preparing them for cricket, golf, tennis, etc, etc.

Rounders might be the only thing that kid is good at and for the first time feel what it’s like to be a winner, or just plain good

Come on schools, you are there to help prepare our kids for later life

The bigger the talent pool the more chance we’ve got of producing winners

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
The T20 side has disintegrated in quality. The championship side is propped up by three players.
It’s becoming morbidly fascinating to see just how badly Sussex can do this season.
Things might get better in time. Giving the ball to Crocombe for a crucial over and giving a new contract to Hunt aren’t great signs though.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Another ESSENTIAL innings from Bopara.

5 runs off 8 balls.

Where would we be without him, eh?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here