Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Adam Webster to Saudi FC

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
That's the trouble of being a club which seems to be on the up. Our players are wanted by almost every top club (or bottom club in Newcastle's case). They think they can just phone up TB and say we want so-and-so and we will roll over. Realistically we should only sell one top player a season if we are thinking of moving up the league and joining the elite teams in Europe . . .but who is going to be sold first?

That's true, I also don't think some of these teams (or owners, or journos) have quite worked out how Tony operates yet.

Mr H

Mar 8, 2012
LA
He went to my school although long after I left, I am more Tim Peake era.. well he was yr12 when I was yr7. He played for Pompey from the age of 12 and is from the Witterings... I think his Sussex accent is probably OK
I was there 1951-1959

origigull

Jun 29, 2009

el punal

Would take 50 for him. He's decent but he's replaceable. Funny that he started believing his own hype on Sunday and kept trying passes that were clearly beyond him and gave a lot away.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

So he had a poor game therefore let’s sell him - is that about it? :shrug:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
All this talk about if Ben White was £50m then Adam Webster must be £80m is just rubbish. AW hasn't had a season with Bielsa so he isn't worth much more than £5k and a bag of old kits.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
What a load of complete bollocks. Sources are just throwing names up in the air like confetti now. Half of them didn't know who Webster was until Sky/BT/MOTD w***ked all over him.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If the Geordies are genuinely thinking and planning long-term why would they dump Smug Eddie in the summer (if they stay up)? It doesn't make sense and would surely worry the hell out of Potter if they came for him.

Basically there is no "long term" until they know what division they're in next season. And its not Geordies, its Staveley and a rabble of clueless arabs bumbling around with their new plaything. By most accounts its amateur hour behind the scenes there right now, and until / unless they get an Ashworth-type figure installed as D of F to help steady the tiller they're going to struggle.

Throwing money at it might get you the odd mercenary over the line who's best days are behind him (as we've already seen), but they've got less than a week now. Anyone worthwhile wouldn't touch Newcastle with a shitty stick this window as (a) there's an excellent chance they will find themselves playing at Kenilworth Road next season, and (b) they know full well they'll have been a short-term panic buy in a thrown-together-team to try to stay up, and may not feature much IF Newcastle are still in the Prem next season.

I sincerely hope it all goes dreadfully wrong for them.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
AW hasn't had a season with Bielsa so he isn't worth much more than £5k and a bag of old kits.

There was a time when one could buy a club legend for £1,000 and a set of tracksuits...

el punal

It would've been easier for the Sportswasher's to have simply bought TB out.

Rather than a protracted attempt to prize away our many gems.

That’s the ultimate nightmare, being a feeder club for the cheque wavers *. :facepalm:

* I was trying to think of some other pungent, distasteful descriptions for that ghastly regime but now everyone knows who they are, what they are and what they can do makes the whole scenario even more odious. I will therefore revert to our ancient Saxon tongue and tell them to f*** off!

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Anyway, it can not be ruled out.

You think so? I like to think the player would have some say, and given the rumours of an England call-up he won't want to be playing next season in the Championship. True, his wages would likely skyrocket which means it'll be nigh on impossible for him to move elsewhere in the summer when they go down.

Or am I being too simplistic?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If the Geordies are genuinely thinking and planning long-term why would they dump Smug Eddie in the summer (if they stay up)? It doesn't make sense and would surely worry the hell out of Potter if they came for him.

Depends how he does now. If they storm the second half, he'll stay. If they stay up by the skin of their teeth, I think he'll go

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
File under "Will happen at £60m"

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Basically they are linking themselves with every player on the planet, so I'm not overly concerned.

Certainly seems that way, judging from the BBC's online football 'gossip' site when it's updated at about 6.30 each morning - virtually every 'entry' is "Newcastle are in talks with....", "Newcastle are preparing a bid for....", "Newcastle and 3 other PL clubs are hoping to sign...." :bla::bla::bla::yawn:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You think so? I like to think the player would have some say, and given the rumours of an England call-up he won't want to be playing next season in the Championship. True, his wages would likely skyrocket which means it'll be nigh on impossible for him to move elsewhere in the summer when they go down.

Or am I being too simplistic?

For similar reasons Trippier went there. Obviously any PL player makes a lot of money and are financially independent for life after a year or two... but getting the opportunity to make your kids, grandkids and grandkids kids financially independent for life as well is probably pretty tempting for a lot of people.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here