Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The fella who "invaded" the pitch

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He’ll get a full paragraph in the next programme notes by PB:

“Once again the club’s reputation has been sullied by a mindless act of hooliganism. The club have a duty of care towards players, staff, match officials and stewards, their safety is paramount. [Donning black cap] The individual concerned has received a lifetime ban and a season ticket at Fratton Park. Take heed”.

It seems One has to work hard to maintain upper most levels of Cock-jugglery :rolleyes:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I hope the club statement relates to the 4? pitch invasions after the full time whistle and not the Webster one.

Yes, the lad who had a hug with Webster was hardly a 'pitch invader', was he. On the spur of the moment it must have looked as if Webster was practically inviting someone to come and give him a hug!
Slap on the wrist to emphasise that you shouldn't do it, but anything more in that particular case would be harsh in the extreme.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yes, the lad who had a hug with Webster was hardly a 'pitch invader', was he. On the spur of the moment it must have looked as if Webster was practically inviting someone to come and give him a hug!
Slap on the wrist to emphasise that you shouldn't do it, but anything more in that particular case would be harsh in the extreme.

I was going to say similar, but one match ban as I'm not a namby pamby liberal like some on here :wink:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Normally have no sympathy with pitch invaders but that is lunacy. Especially when, for the first time in my sheltered life, I saw several men old enough to know better (and judging by their demeanour, accents and direction when arriving at the stadium, Chelsea fans) snorting Coke on the walk from The Bridge. Also no mention of the Does your Boyfriend chant from their end.

I hope they were using recyclable straws and not the plastic ones that damage the environment so much but I bet the bubbles still got up their noses.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes that was right in front of me the lad gets very excitable at every goal shame if Barber banned him, stewards bit jobsworth there.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The club are now reviewing CCTV evidence from the Wigan promotion game, and will be writing to ban 12,000 supporters who invaded the pitch that day.

You have been warned.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
The club are now reviewing CCTV evidence from the Wigan promotion game, and will be writing to ban 12,000 supporters who invaded the pitch that day.

You have been warned.

I'll accept my fate. A lifetime ban would be a bit harsh on my 7 year old son though

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Club statement this morning:

Having seen a worrying trend of pitch invaders at recent games, we take this opportunity to remind all fans that we have a zero-tolerance approach to ANY supporters attempting to come onto the pitch at home and away matches.

The club takes the safety of supporters, players and staff extremely seriously, and those who come onto the pitch for any reason will be subject to indefinite club bans. They are also reminded it is a criminal offence, and therefore will also face potential police and court action.
Having seen several incursions, during and at the end of the matches against Crystal Palace on Friday and Chelsea on Tuesday, we can confirm each of the perpetrators has now been identified, arrested and each is now subject to further police action.

Seems a bit excessive if the chap celebrating Webster's goal was arrested and given an indefinite ban.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
Is it me or is there a tone of zealous sanctimony in this statement?

The fact that 3 Chelsea idiot-savants were able to wander on to the pitch unchallenged and semi-acost players shows a significant failure of stewarding security. Isn't that the issue to address rather than a young lad being pushed into the arms of the goalscorer who was, quite understandably, instigating the co-celebration?

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Club need to crack down on opposition fans in the home end, but instead they'll punish our fans, because they can't wait to get the corporate £££ from away fans who haven't got enough points for an actual away ticket.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Has anyone heard or seen anything about the ‘Free Webster One’ this morning on social media?
If the club does try and ban him for the season, I feel we as fans should try and help his case, as it’s clear as day he was pushed onto the pitch by an joyous friend, no aggression shown, walked away peacefully from the stadium and clearly a teenager who instantly regretted the incident.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Whilst I would certainly encourage leniency towards the Albion lad based on what I saw last night in isolation, unfortunately I understand there may have been another incident involving the same lad on Friday night at the Palace game.

As this is likely to be an active police investigation, it might be best to let that play out.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

“Once again the club’s reputation has been sullied by a mindless act of hooliganism. The club have a duty of care towards players, staff, match officials and stewards, their safety is paramount. [Donning black cap] The individual concerned has received a lifetime ban and a season ticket at Fratton Park. Take heed”.

I think that the mere mention of a season ticket at Fratton Park, and having to listen to that infernal drum, is enough to deter anyone from ever doing it again! :wink:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

I mean, I don't want to appear pedantic, but he was a pitch invader. I don't think it was malicious (they rarely are) but by definition he was on the playing surface during a match so is a pitch invader

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
Whilst I would certainly encourage leniency towards the Albion lad based on what I saw last night in isolation, unfortunately I understand there may have been another incident involving the same lad on Friday night at the Palace game.

As this is likely to be an active police investigation, it might be best to let that play out.

Thanks for the ITK information on the lad Bozza.
That is rather disappointing to hear if the lad has got former misdemeanors against him...especially in out, consecutive home games.
Quite wise to let it play out, if this is not an isolated case for being in the 'wrong place at the wrong time'.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I mean, I don't want to appear pedantic, but he was a pitch invader. I don't think it was malicious (they rarely are) but by definition he was on the playing surface during a match so is a pitch invader
No he wasn't. He was just by the barrier - admittedly on the wrong side of it, but yards away from the pitch.

Jan 30, 2008

Mindless hooliganism LMFAO :lolol::lolol:

Regards
DF

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Normally have no sympathy with pitch invaders but that is lunacy. Especially when, for the first time in my sheltered life, I saw several men old enough to know better (and judging by their demeanour, accents and direction when arriving at the stadium, Chelsea fans) snorting Coke on the walk from The Bridge. Also no mention of the Does your Boyfriend chant from their end.

Around 7.15pm, four of them in 80s style jeans? I saw that, quite bizarre why you need drugs to watch football imo, but what do I know.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
I will be disgusted with the club if that lad is banned on last nights events alone. He was pushed on the pitch and then clearly was apologising and trying to get back. I wait to hear with interest and will be well up for any support/help he needs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here