Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2022

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Took Oscar Jnr to see the re-release of First Blood at the Odorous, West Street, last night.

He'd never seen it and it had been years since I watched it, having never done so on the big screen. We both bloody loved it. Holds up very well and deals with some very serious themes in between the still impressive action. Shame this one is often lumped in with the rest of the brainless Rambo franchise.

8/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw the black phone this evening. I didn't enjoy it as much as my friends, but I thought it was ok. Probably wasn't in the right mood for it.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Took Oscar Jnr to see the re-release of First Blood at the Odorous, West Street, last night.

He'd never seen it and it had been years since I watched it, having never done so on the big screen. We both bloody loved it. Holds up very well and deals with some very serious themes in between the still impressive action. Shame this one is often lumped in with the rest of the brainless Rambo franchise.

8/10

Was keen to see this on the big screen but I had to work. One of my favourite films.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Lightyear yesterday and a good fun film. It's NOT a Toy Story sequel/prequel, worth pointing out. With school holidays coming up, I'm fairly sure some of you will need to take a young 'un to see this. There are quite a few Easter Eggs in it - a number of references, some subtler than others, to various sci-fi films (eg 2001, Aliens, the Star Wars "universe").

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Saw Black Phone last week. I enjoyed it more than the Mrs, but I think she had built it up a bit too much.
Ethan Hawke is very good in it, as is the boy. There isn't much to the film and not a lot I can say without telling you the entire story. Worth a watch. 7/10.

Watched the latest Jurassic World last night, and to quote Jeff Goldblum, "That is one big pile of shit."
It's just plain awful. The acting is wooden and cheesy, the story is exactly the same as all the other films and the special effects felt cheap. Spoiler alert, a T-rex fights an even bigger predator, an evil man gets his comeuppance and a disaster threatens to wipe out the dinosaurs and shuts down the facility where they're kept!
I sincerely hope they've finished flogging this franchise now, it's extinct. 2/10.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw Thor Love and Thunder today. I thought it was a lot of fun. Not quite as good as Ragnorak, but then part of what made Ragnorak so good was the tonal shift from the previous movie, we don't get that this time. It's more of the same comedy-heavy style. As ever with Marvel there are end credit sequences, one calling back to the film, one setting up future adventures.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Nitram:

Saw the RT score of 93, good powerful film and all that.

Wow, bloody bleak stuff.

Not a Sunday afternoon with the kids and popcorn flik but strong fayre.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
New Minions was actually very good and I think kids and adults alike will enjoy it, as is the case with the other ones.

9/10.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Elvis…

It’s very entertaining. Austin Butler is actually very good. Likeable. And very accurate. They do belnd some CGI face stuff in during his last few years. which actually works fine except for one VERY bad blend.
Tom Hanks is pretty bloody good too. Like something out of the Grimm fairy tales.
My one criticism is that I don’t think they got Elvis’s sense of humour right. He was very funny, here he is a bit too brooding.
I don’t know how much of a fan Lurhmann is of Elvis or if he has a passion for him but there’s no attempt at any real insight.
That’s okay, it’s mostly told in linear form, from kid to young man to addict. The growing up stuff is fine but it really steps up a gear when he does the comeback specials, the “Christmas” special and onto the Vegas residency, Butler really gets the stage moves right and the audience interaction is spot on.
I have to say, some of the stage stuff was breathtaking. As it should be.

If you know the Elvis story, there’s no surprises. If you don’t know much about Tom Parker, you’ll want to kill the oily *******.

I was expecting to dislike this. A lot.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Elvis…

It’s very entertaining. Austin Butler is actually very good. Likeable. And very accurate. They do belnd some CGI face stuff in during his last few years. which actually works fine except for one VERY bad blend.
Tom Hanks is pretty bloody good too. Like something out of the Grimm fairy tales.
My one criticism is that I don’t think they got Elvis’s sense of humour right. He was very funny, here he is a bit too brooding.
I don’t know how much of a fan Lurhmann is of Elvis or if he has a passion for him but there’s no attempt at any real insight.
That’s okay, it’s mostly told in linear form, from kid to young man to addict. The growing up stuff is fine but it really steps up a gear when he does the comeback specials, the “Christmas” special and onto the Vegas residency, Butler really gets the stage moves right and the audience interaction is spot on.
I have to say, some of the stage stuff was breathtaking. As it should be.

If you know the Elvis story, there’s no surprises. If you don’t know much about Tom Parker, you’ll want to kill the oily *******.

I was expecting to dislike this. A lot.
I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Perfect review and align with my thoughts after seeing it as well. Tom Hanks his usual great self and the kid playing Elvis did a solid job also. I was anxious about it, thinking it was gonna be a total let down, but glad that it was not.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
"Woman at War" (2018). Quirky Icelandic story about a (sexy) middle aged undercover environmental activist. Amusing, touching, highly recommended if you like your indie dramas. I still enjoy a rifle through a charity shops dvd collection and this was a great 20p find.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
First teaser trailer for Black Panther: Wakanda forever premiered at the san diego comic con last night. IMO one of the best trailers in some time. For those unaware, Black Panther star Chadwick Boseman died two years ago after a private battle with colon cancer, after the sequel had already been announced. It has been a cloud over the production of the Wakanda forever, from the desire to pay tribute and honor him, to the question of how they will handle replacing him (would they recast the character, or kill off T'challa and have a different character take over the mantle of black panther (that is in keeping wth the comic character - many have been the black panther).

https://youtu.be/RlOB3UALvrQ

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I've updated the OP with the latest info, and added some new trailers for upcoming films for the rest of the year.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I thought Jurassic Park Dominion was fun.

Likewise ….going with my grandson who just loves dinosaurs made it special

Watched Top Gun Maverick three weeks ago on my own…top entertainment

Down to see Where The Crawdads sing this Tuesday with daughter.

After a cinema break of a couple of years I’m on a roll

Edit …I forgot i did go to see Bond last October

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
I watched "Prey" last night, the latest film in the Predator franchise, and I have to say it's the most enjoyable film I've seen for a long time.
The acting is spot on, the special effects are good, fight scenes are engrossing and the backdrops are beautiful. This is a far cry from the crappy Aliens Vs Predator films, it's well made and I enjoyed every minute of it.
Nice touch using the gun Danny Glover picks up in Predator 2 and I did giggle with the "if it bleeds, we can kill it" line.
A solid 8/10 for me.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Brian And Charles yesterday - an extremely quirky film, peculiarly British, and amusing with a decent heart at the centre of things. Really enjoyed it!

Basically a story of an inventor, coming up with all sorts of fairly naff things, but who ultimately is lonely, so is inspired - with the finding of a mannequin head - to build a robot, using a washing machine for the body.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here