Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Ashworth joins Newcastle

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If he has ANY integrity, then he will just say "No". Honestly, if he wants to work for that scum, he can go...

Why do you call them "scum"? However you might like to look at it, they are a massive football club with a great history, far more support than we will ever have, and suddenly a bottomless pot of money to spend on an unlimited number of new players.

Why wouldn't he be tempted?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Oh no!

Anyway...

Blues Guitarist

Oct 19, 2020
St Johann in Tirol
Newcastle have just appointed Nicky Hammond, former Reading and Celtic Director of Football, as a transfer consultant on a short term deal. His job is to oversee the January transfer window and he's the scapegoat if(when) it all goes wrong.

Hammond did a good job at Reading, especially selling a number players that the club wanted to move on for higher transfer fees than most would have expected. However, the Newcastle job will be far more difficult because of the Saudi money.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Transfer ‘guru’ - hilarity prevails.

As others have kindly volunteered to drive him up, i’ll metaphorically wave him off with a tear in my eye.

I wouldn’t be upset in the slightest, should he go, which is a tangible measure of his true worth... I struggle to appreciate what he’s bought to the party, given his doubtless ‘decent’ contract.

He’s also ever so slightly smug, hmmmmm it might just work up here with smuggly.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Dan Ashworth is an integral part of our project. We hired him because of his connections with so many academies allowing us to identify great targets for our academy and to set up much needed loans for our prospects to develop and gain match experience. He has never been involved in signing a world class players or negotiating with superstars. He may be a fabulous fit for us but Newcastle's needs are so different to his CV

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
If Ashworth does take the job there is a good chance he'll be leaving us for a Championship club come the summer. He'd be crazy to go, Newcastle are a car crash of a club, there is no long term planning, the new owners will want instant success so there is zero job security. Ashworth knows that he's got proper backing and support in Bloom and Barber, his head won't be on the chopping block here.

But it would be a large part of Ashworth's brief to put long-term planning in place or there would be little point in going. If the job description is technical director or director of football then he will oversee the coaching and playing style and the succession of first-team coaches; if he's just there to buy and sell players that's different, and not something he has had too much experience of at the financial level at which Newcastle would expect to be operating.

Personally I wouldn't work for that particular ownership group, and I say that as someone who has taken the Murdoch shilling in the past. But he may have other standards. if the Saudis weren't in charge then Newcastle as a club would be very tempting. Large fanbase, great city, beautiful part of the country.

As to whether he's done a good job for us, we don't really know as most of it is behind the scenes. For me the visible pluses are the signings of Potter, Lamptey, Caicedo, Van Hecke, Ferguson and Khadra (although presumably credit also goes to Paul Winstanley and company), and probably Lallana and Welbeck. Obvious minuses are the failure to persuade his old mate Southgate that Lewis Dunk is ten times as good as Tyrone Mings, and the complete lack of balance in our first-team squad.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Transfer ‘guru’ - hilarity prevails.

As others have kindly volunteered to drive him up, i’ll metaphorically wave him off with a tear in my eye.

I wouldn’t be upset in the slightest, should he go, which is a tangible measure of his true worth... I struggle to appreciate what he’s bought to the party, given his doubtless ‘decent’ contract.

He’s also ever so slightly smug, hmmmmm it might just work up here with smuggly.

Kosh you really should think of changing allegiance to your local team, you know it makes sense. Champion’s League within 5 years, you’ll be dead before Albion get there

Easy to get to games and best players in the world coming your way

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Dan Ashworth is an integral part of our project. We hired him because of his connections with so many academies allowing us to identify great targets for our academy and to set up much needed loans for our prospects to develop and gain match experience. He has never been involved in signing a world class players or negotiating with superstars. He may be a fabulous fit for us but Newcastle's needs are so different to his CV

I don’t expect a world class striker but I would like one who looks like he belongs in the PL to supplement Neal and the sicknote. Until he pulls this off I will continue to doubt that he is anything special. His contacts and influence don’t seem to stretch to this challenge so far.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
As to whether he's done a good job for us, we don't really know as most of it is behind the scenes. For me the visible pluses are the signings of Potter, Lamptey, Caicedo, Van Hecke, Ferguson and Khadra (although presumably credit also goes to Paul Winstanley and company), and probably Lallana and Welbeck. Obvious minuses are the failure to persuade his old mate Southgate that Lewis Dunk is ten times as good as Tyrone Mings, and the complete lack of balance in our first-team squad.

Potter and Lamptey, yes undoubted pluses, as are Lallana and Welbeck. The likes of Caicedo, Van Hecke, Ferguson, and Khadra, how do we know? they haven't started a first team match for the Albion between them yet! Obviously l very much hope that they do become successes, but only time will tell.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Potter and Lamptey, yes undoubted pluses, as are Lallana and Welbeck. The likes of Caicedo, Van Hecke, Ferguson, and Khadra, how do we know? they haven't started a first team match for the Albion between them yet! Obviously l very much hope that they do become successes, but only time will tell.

Mwepu - the new Bissouma imo. Remember how long it took for him to get up to speed.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Mwepu - the new Bissouma imo. Remember how long it took for him to get up to speed.

Hmmm well we'll see, still very early days for him in an Albion shirt. I think even the great Yves Bissouma needs to up his game by a gear or two if he really wants to be a viable Liverpool target. If he really is as good as some people claim then he should be grabbing games by the scruff of the neck, and completely bossing the midfield. I haven't seen enough of that this season. He needs to kick on.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The ‘Newcastle project’ bares no resemblance to the ‘Brighton project.’ The timescales, budget and ambitions are entirely different. For example they don’t need an academy. What’s the point if money is limitless ? Ashworth brings connections to young English players. Why would Newcastle want any of them ? If he leaves it will only be for the money. That’s not to say he won’t leave.

Chelsea and Manchester City also didnt need academies once Abramovich and King Prince Sheik Arab came around, but they spent a shitload on it anyway and it will very likely be the same at Newcastle. Having a couple of Reece James, Mason Mount and Phil Fodens popping up from your academy once in a while just makes life easier, cheaper and helps you with HGP.

Newcastle have just appointed Nicky Hammond, former Reading and Celtic Director of Football, as a transfer consultant on a short term deal. His job is to oversee the January transfer window and he's the scapegoat if(when) it all goes wrong. Newcastle know that if they want to prise a new DOF away from an existing role they are unlikely to have anyone in place this season due to the notice period most of these roles come with.

If Ashworth does take the job there is a good chance he'll be leaving us for a Championship club come the summer. He'd be crazy to go, Newcastle are a car crash of a club, there is no long term planning, the new owners will want instant success so there is zero job security. Ashworth knows that he's got proper backing and support in Bloom and Barber, his head won't be on the chopping block here.

They might be a car crash now but there is nothing indicating that this will remain the issue. Yes, job security will likely be lower but just like with Txiki in City (no instant success but they kept him in his role) they might realise that success wont happen over night. There is nothing that indicates that they believe in instant success. I'd imagine that this isnt the first business the Saudis are in charge over and that they are fully aware that it can take some time to make a company successful.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Hmmm well we'll see, still very early days for him in an Albion shirt. I think even the great Yves Bissouma needs to up his game by a gear or two if he really wants to be a viable Liverpool target. If he really is as good as some people claim then he should be grabbing games by the scruff of the neck, and completely bossing the midfield. I haven't seen enough of that this season. He needs to kick on.

He has other things on his mind I think

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Mac Allister, Trossard, Webster, Maupay, Mooy, Lamptey, Lallana, Veltman, Moder, Zeqiri, Welbeck, Mwepu and Cucurella are the first team signings made under DA along with 10+ very exciting yoofs like Caicedo, Karbownik, Richards, Sarmiento, Moran, Emmerson, Ferguson, van Hecke, Khadra and so on...

While most of these are a lot younger than the ones signed in the PL before DA arrived and thus are likely to take their time, I struggle to see how people can think his signings are not impressive. Brighton compared to pretty much any other team has signed a lot less flops in recent years. There is no Ali J/Locadia/Andone (yes I know Andone is currently world class but I'm referring to before his injuries and lack of play time turned him into Messi tier) on DAs CV.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

That’s the point. They are all at different stages in their development

As a general point not aimed at Cowfold, I suggest that all of us don’t have a clue what Ashworth’s detailed remit is, however those that matter seem to be happy with his performance to date.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Don't they need a Paul Barber type figure? Heard he's good at his job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here