Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Starmer press conference at 7

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hopefully a plea to people to get their boosters.

This is needed because folk don’t trust a word the PM says, I just hope that Keir does not politicise it, he doesn’t need to.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton

This is needed because folk don’t trust a word the PM says, I just hope that Keir does not politicise it, he doesn’t need to.

He has already stated on Andrew Marr yesterday that he will not be scoring political points on this, he’s fully behind the booster program, public health is his priority.
To be fair also, he doesn’t need to as the tory MP’s will do the job for him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Tricky. The problem with the PM's message was it was simply asking people to get jabbed. Listening to the radio this morning lots of people are trying to get an appointment and can't, and after the PM's message they are now panicking. So there seems to be little point Starmer merely repeating what the PM said. But he can't say anything different because he's not the piper calling the tune. Therefore it is hard to work out how he can do anything other than describe what he thinks should be done (which would, I hope, include more of an element of compulsion and consequences than the PM's jolly firm advice), thereby making it political, unavoidably.

WRT the idea of a press conference, he's damned if he does (he will be accused of playing politics) and damned if he doesn't (he will be accused of not standing up to the PM and showing his leadership potential).

Hmmm....on balance.....thinking about it....perhaps you are right after all :thumbsup:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
what was needed from day 1 was a joint political initiative from the Government AND Opposition parties, rather than all of them using this to point score.

Both main parties took the decision to make this more about politics than public health almost as soon as this whole pandemic started and as a result we are now in this complete shit show

Hopefully Starmer will give more than his usual state the beeding obvious, Captainn Hindsight routine and be a true leader of the opposition and wholeheartedly throw his, and his party's weight behind getting as many people jabbed as soon as possible

I fear though it will just be another statement offering plenty of criticism and precious little constructive help with a begrudging "we support in principal but will be holding the Government to account" line rather than the robust unequivocal "call to arms" that both the Government and Opposition should have (but haven't) been giving for the past 2 years

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Will he slip in how he would have saved the world like Flash Gordon if he was PM?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Tricky. The problem with the PM's message was it was simply asking people to get jabbed. Listening to the radio this morning lots of people are trying to get an appointment and can't, and after the PM's message they are now panicking. So there seems to be little point Starmer merely repeating what the PM said. But he can't say anything different because he's not the piper calling the tune. Therefore it is hard to work out how he can do anything other than describe what he thinks should be done (which would, I hope, include more of an element of compulsion and consequences than the PM's jolly firm advice), thereby making it political, unavoidably.

WRT the idea of a press conference, he's damned if he does (he will be accused of playing politics) and damned if he doesn't (he will be accused of not standing up to the PM and showing his leadership potential).

Hmmm....on balance.....thinking about it....perhaps you are right after all :thumbsup:

This is the editor of The Times
[tweet]1470336732495286277[/tweet]

To be fair, there is a by-election this week, so the PM making a state broadcast (these things used to be announced in Parliament!) is electioneering by definition, so the Leader of the Opposition has to be given equal opportunity according to electoral law.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
We 100 percent back what the government say, but we don’t agree with it.

We could absolutely sink the government in the vote tomorrow but we will be voting with them in the interests of public safety.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
what was needed from day 1 was a joint political initiative from the Government AND Opposition parties, rather than all of them using this to point score.

Both main parties took the decision to make this more about politics than public health almost as soon as this whole pandemic started and as a result we are now in this complete shit show

Hopefully Starmer will give more than his usual state the beeding obvious, Captainn Hindsight routine and be a true leader of the opposition and wholeheartedly throw his, and his party's weight behind getting as many people jabbed as soon as possible

I fear though it will just be another statement offering plenty of criticism and precious little constructive help with a begrudging "we support in principal but will be holding the Government to account" line rather than the robust unequivocal "call to arms" that both the Government and Opposition should have (but haven't) been giving for the past 2 years

I completely disagree. Starmer and his party are poised to vote WITH the Government tomorrow over new Covid measures, while 70-odd Tory backbenchers are set to rebel.

Stop blaming Labour; the disunity - and damage arising from this - is coming from the Conservative Party.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This government have blood on their hands and Labour haven't been credible opposition for any of it

Whatever the 7pm , I don't expect the above to change

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Of course he is, it's an opportunity to belittle BJ.
It's what politicians do.
If roles were reversed, BJ would do the same.

It doesn't matter what party is in government, they all have the same pot of money, it's how they all piss it away.
At the end of the day, all politicians are dodgy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Of course he is, it's an opportunity to belittle BJ.
It's what politicians do.
If roles were reversed, BJ would do the same.

It doesn't matter what party is in government, they all have the same pot of money, it's how they all piss it away.
At the end of the day, all politicians are dodgy.

Why would Starmer belittle Johnson on Monday night and then vote WITH him the following day, while 70 Tories vote against their man?

If Starmer was dodgy he'd whip his MPs to vote with the Tory rebels and overturn the government. That could be terminal for Johnson. But, no, Starmer is putting national interest ahead of party politics, demonstrating that not all politicians are dodgy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here