Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Starmer press conference at 7

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Depressing. Starmer is no doubt playing the long (strategic) game (like any Barrister, he's gradually allowing Boris to tie himself in knots) but still think he missed an opportunity to twist the knife (whilst still supporting the booster push and other measures). He's far smarter than me though so...................:shrug: Probably realises he doesn't need to finish Boris off, because his own people will.

This has been done already, but he wants to present himself as a leader-in-waiting, and Labour as a party-of-government. He's less concerned with the Tory sideshow of who will be their leader at the next election. The Tories themselves are in between a rock and a hard place. They've got their incumbent, and they and the public have finally lifted the veil on him. Or they could try someone else but, on that, they've done that twice already, and the public might actually cotton on if they do that for a third time.
A month or two ago, I wouldn't have typed these thoughts, but things have really moved in that period.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I like ‘flag waiving’, the yanks (not just GOP voters), French and Italians are immensely proud of their iconic flags, they fly them everywhere.

We lagged behind, possibly caught between two historical stools of St George v Union Jack?

Well on the bright side it looks as if Johnson's total corruption and incompetence will solve one issue :wink:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
No one should count their 2024 General Election chickens, it just doesn’t work like that. I make that basic faux pas every time.

Especially if you’re into twatter or facebook for political stuff. You’re simply tuning in to an echo chamber of people who agree with you, but representing a microscopic proportion of the electorate. I had Corbyn down for running a coalition!!! In 2019 teens and twenties who were Corbynistas on social media couldn’t fathom why he lost because they’d seen countless thousands of like minded folk counting the hours to him walking into no.10. Left stunned. Political scientists have talked about this since.

The cliche a week’s a long time in politics is so true.

Johnson will be long gone, will Labour stick with Starmer if there’s a sustained sticky spell, plus the SNP have Scotland wrapped up.

As always, volatile times.

D

Deleted member 2719

Ahhh, bless you, can't take a little bit of criticism that you so often thoroughly deserve.

Errr I said I can take it.

It's aggressive out of control pure personal directed hate filed bile I find unable to stomach, the same as real-life really.

Do you know what I mean??? I think you probably do, being that you are often involved in this area.

Anyway, we won't go there again eh?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Today is a lost opportunity for the Labour Party.

If HM Opposition opposed the government today, Johnson would have got such a shoeing I have no doubt that the wheels would have been put in motion to oust the odious, corrupt, lying Prime Minister and his government.

Starmer has never really effectively opposed the government on anything of significance. It may be that he sees Labour's best chance of winning the next GE by propping up Johnson. That is an extremely dangerous position to take as none of us know what further damage a Johnson government could do over the next 3-4 years.

Supporting this corrupt and morally bankrupt government is one of the Labour Party's darkest days.
It's less than 3-4 years until the next election. May 2024 is the latest possible date for it ( unless the fixed term parliament act is repealed in which case it could be at the end of 2024 which is in fact 3 years time ).

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
You know very well that I was responding to a specific sentence posted as part of this thread. The sentence was 'I think the Starmer one was to show that the Labour Party are the only grown ups in the room.' And, not unreasonably, I questioned if name calling is appropriate behaviour from the grown ups.

No, I didn’t know very well what you were responding too…….. but having re-read it I get it now. Apologies.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here