Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lallana's finishing

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
We all tease Bissouma's (often comically) wayward shooting - how much a world class footballer consistently can't shoot effectively from range, but has a go anyway.

Lallana's finishing is much less forgivable. He has now scored one goal in 42 Albion appearances, mostly starts, and the guy looks about bereft of confidence in front of goal.

He looks skilful, can control games in midfield, pass out of dangerous situations and even puts in a foot in. But he never even looks remotely like scoring even with clear cut chances served to him. It's so, so strange.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Posted the same elsewhere a day or two back.

For such a skilled, assured and calm-headed player, it really is quite bizarre.

I don't buy the "he's never been any good at finishing which is why he didn't get many England caps" response I was given the other day either, as many of his chances have been side-footed passes into the goal. He, of all the players we have, should be accomplished at that.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Always been limited in that sense. Even back in his prime when he scored 8 goals (some of them very nice) for Liverpool in the PL, his efficiency in front of goal was not at the level of the rest of his game.

Not likely to improve in that department. Goals will probably have to come from others.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes his goals per games played ratio is very low, but a singular lack of goals from our midfield players has been a reccurring problem throughout our Amex years really.

I do think though that he has many other strings to his bow which makes his lack of goals far less of an issue, just the way that he quietly patrols midfield, keeping the ball moving, probing and setting up other players with chances.

We just simply seem to be a better side with him in it. Worth his place in the side for his many other attributes l think.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yes his goals per games played ratio is very low, but a singular lack of goals from our midfield players has been a reccurring problem throughout our Amex years really.

I do think though that he has many other strings to his bow which makes his lack of goals far less of an issue, just the way that he quietly patrols midfield, keeping the ball moving, probing and setting up other players with chances. We just simply seem to be a better side with him in it.

Whilst I agree with your point, with Bissouma in the side, Lallana becomes more important as a hope of more goals. Bissouma is undroppable, so where do the goals come from?

To echo and expand Bozza's point above, these are often clear cut chances a player of his quality could and should be scoring. Not hopeful 30 yarders. He has the legs to get up and down still and find amazing positions, just that final kick of the ball and lack of belief/technique to find a corner and score is bewildering.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't know about Lallana historically, because I didn't used to see a lot of him regularly playing 90min games live with all that entails until we signed him.

I think he has been a great signing, but for someone who has played at the levels he has, I do think his finishing is surprisingly poor.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Whilst I agree with your point, with Bissouma in the side, Lallana becomes more important as a hope of more goals. Bissouma is undroppable, so where do the goals come from?

To echo and expand Bozza's point above, these are often clear cut chances a player of his quality could and should be scoring. Not hopeful 30 yarders. He has the legs to get up and down still and find amazing positions, just that final kick of the ball and lack of belief/technique to find a corner and score is bewildering.

Well if he did have more goals in his locker as well as all his other skills, would he be playing for little old Brighton?

That's what l find myself asking.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well if he did have more goals in his locker as well as all his other skills, would he be playing for little old Brighton?

That's what l find myself asking.

Absolutely. But that doesn't change the point you just made about a lack of midfield goals in the Amex era. Either Lallana steps up and scores, or... well, that's it isn't it, there is no or.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He is very influential for us and does so much right but he really is a barn door billy on the shooting front.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As good a place as any:-

Be honest

How many of you thought Solly would score 90 seconds in at Anfield?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
As good a place as any:-

Be honest

How many of you thought Solly would score 90 seconds in at Anfield?

Was the only time in that game I really missed a 9 rather than a false 9. The angle was not optimal for a shot (think he did ok with what he had) but perfect to just play it into a striker for a tap-in, but there was none.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Lallana is an absolutely DISMAL finisher. I doubt he has a shot on target in a calendar month - he couldn't hit HMS Victory if he was stood there next to it on the dock.

A player of his skill, talent and class should be comfortably capable of 6 goals a season. Sadly I don't think he even hits the target 6 times a season - Saturday being a case in point. It wasn't a howler by any means, but it was typically wayward. He slots that for 2-0, and its game over. Instead, he's hit the hoardings again. Another presentable chance goes begging, and we end up paying for it as it really was all downhill from that moment on.

He's always worth his place in our midfield, no disputing that. But its a shame he's so bloody hopeless when he's in sight of the rigging.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Lallana is an absolutely DISMAL finisher. I doubt he has a shot on target in a calendar month - he couldn't hit HMS Victory if he was stood there next to it on the dock.

A player of his skill, talent and class should be comfortably capable of 6 goals a season. Sadly I don't think he even hits the target 6 times a season - Saturday being a case in point. It wasn't a howler by any means, but it was typically wayward. He slots that for 2-0, and its game over. Instead, he's hit the hoardings again. Another presentable chance goes begging, and we end up paying for it as it really was all downhill from that moment on.

He's always worth his place in our midfield, no disputing that. But its a shame he's so bloody hopeless when he's in sight of the rigging.

You've done it again.

He is an absolutely class player, the type I have waited for 50 odd years to see play for the Albion. He is so good, and then does THAT :lolol:

As ever, Up the Albion (and these are the greatest of times) :albion2:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You've done it again.

He is an absolutely class player, the type I have waited for 50 odd years to see play for the Albion. He is so good, and then does THAT :lolol:

As ever, Up the Albion (and these are the greatest of times) :albion2:

:lolol:

A lovely player. But honestly, the guy couldn't finish his breakfast.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It is very strange that MANY top players seem to miss so many shots and Lalana to my surprise is just another whose finishing is poor. However I think his steady run & form this season in his playmaking has been excellent as his ability to command the players . In other circumstances he would probably the captain. As regards he has cost us games.... he was one of the better players against Newcastle and Liverpool.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here