Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Beer in the stands?

el punal

Yeah, luzzing pints in the air if/when we score.

What's not to like?

Oh great, nearly £5.00 of beer doing a sprinkly on all around - that’s going to be really popular. Just drink the f***ing stuff. I mean we’re not exactly Box Park on England duty. :wrong:

That’s on the basis that your post is not a teeny weeny bit of reeling someone in. :D

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I can understand why people don't want to get covered in beer but the reason around having to let someone pass is surely a minor inconvenience at best. Must take a couple of seconds to stand up and let someone pass. Even if the whole row did it you still wouldn't miss much of the game if any.

It would also potentially solve the issue with half time early leavers. I leave most games at 42/3 so I have time to get to the bar and get a beer so I don't have to neck it. If we could take it back to the seat I'd happily stroll down and queue for half time.

Bring it on :drink:

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Really? How many hands have these people got? and good luck having them not knocked over. You could restrict sales to one per person 15 mins before kick off/ second half and have the bars shut during the game. I am not in favour of unrestricted boozing during the game, but I do not see why anyone should not be able to take their unfinished pre or HT pint to their seat.

They get given cardboard carriers for four pints at cricket.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately, I can see it happening.

Huge income stream for the clubs, say 30,000 crowd, sell an extra 10,000 pints at a fiver a throw (no pun intended) 50 grand, 18 times a season , that’s nearly a million extra a year. That may not be a lot for the PL clubs, but the Championship would lap it up.

Edit: 23 home games in the Championship.

Not many championship clubs playing in front of 30k!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I can understand why people don't want to get covered in beer but the reason around having to let someone pass is surely a minor inconvenience at best. Must take a couple of seconds to stand up and let someone pass. Even if the whole row did it you still wouldn't miss much of the game if any.

It would also potentially solve the issue with half time early leavers. I leave most games at 42/3 so I have time to get to the bar and get a beer so I don't have to neck it. If we could take it back to the seat I'd happily stroll down and queue for half time.

Bring it on :drink:

There speaks someone who doesn't sit in the ESL.

We get all hand wringing about back and forth for beer.
That's nothing compared to the sweets/drink/burger/toilet dashes we have.

Absolutely hand on heart, honest to god, we once had a family of 5 in the same row as ourselves.

They all made trips out into the concourse, both halves.
Some going more than once.
At no point did anyone go together.

It was physically impossible to watch the game as at the very most 5 minutes wouldn't pass without someone saying 'excuse me'.

I know that sounds like a 'literally' yarn, which means it only happened twice.

But I assure you that's very much the truth.
My internal monologue was screaming for a policeman 20 minutes into the game.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

Absolutely hand on heart, honest to god, we once had a family of 5 in the same row as ourselves.

It was physically impossible to watch the game as at the very most 5 minutes wouldn't pass without someone saying 'excuse me'.

I swear children have a smaller bladder capacity now.

I'm not even joking, the number of times I've seen some kids having to be led to the toilets in a single half is ridiculous.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

So what you are saying is beer is fine, we just need to ban children.

Fine by me.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So what you are saying is beer is fine, we just need to ban children.

Fine by me.

I'm not a monster.

Perhaps we can just nail them to the seats.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The idea of having to get up and down every 5 minutes for someone to buy booze and/or have a piss and then morons throwing beer everywhere when we score fills me with dread…so it’s a firm no from me.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
I am a definite no on this one for all the reasons others have clearly stated . Even if there was no luzzing there would still be a waterfall of beer cascading down under the seats as people getting up and down kicked either their own or others over , bad enough with the soft drinks with no tops !

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
The beer throwing is my biggest fear. I'd hate it and it would deter plenty of people from bringing their friends/family for random matches. I equally don't feel the need to drink during the game

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
think plan is to recommend trials of this in National League and League Two first - as is extra revenue for these clubs

assume of successful would then move onto being trial in League One

Jimmy Grimble

I reckon this thread is a great example of ‘tell me how old you are without telling me how old you are’.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I reckon this thread is a great example of ‘tell me how old you are without telling me how old you are’.

Maybe, but when I was younger, I never had any compulsion to throw beer around. I also never sat in the seats, so didn’t notice people continually coming and going to get drinks.

I’ve always done my drinking pre and post match and don’t feel the need to drink during unless I’m watching in a pub. I’m there to watch the game.

Jimmy Grimble

Sounds more like "tell me that you've got a problem with alcohol without telling me that you have a problem with alcohol"

Not seen many posts like that - maybe 1 or 2?

Maybe, but when I was younger, I never had any compulsion to throw beer around. I also never sat in the seats, so didn’t notice people continually coming and going to get drinks.

I’ve always done my drinking pre and post match and don’t feel the need to drink during unless I’m watching in a pub. I’m there to watch the game.

There seems to be an assumption that beer will be thrown around - I really don’t think it would be as bad as people are imagining.

I know there were lots of videos of it during the last World Cup and Euros but that’s a different context. I think it’s highly unlikely an Albion STH will luzz a pint up in the air as the result will be strong action against them from the club (the only way beer in the ground would be sanctioned is with very strict rules around this).

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There seems to be an assumption that beer will be thrown around - I really don’t think it would be as bad as people are imagining.

I know there were lots of videos of it during the last World Cup and Euros but that’s a different context. I think it’s highly unlikely an Albion STH will luzz a pint up in the air as the result will be strong action against them from the club (the only way beer in the ground would be sanctioned is with very strict rules around this).

Spilling drinks has also been mentioned more than once on this thread. The plastic pint cups are very flimsy, I can imagine someone 5 pints in trying to negotiate getting to his seat in the middle of a row.
More than one person is going to get some on their shoes or down the back of their head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here