[Albion] Ben Foster Predicts Brighton to be Relegated

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
18th for us due to a "very quiet transfer window"

Down with the barcodes and Norwich. Although he did pick Watford to finish 13th and reckons they see their early games as winnable.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Sadly, I agree with him.

Unless we do some good transfer business in the next couple of weeks, I can't see us avoiding the drop for a 5th consecutive season. We certainly can't rely on 3 teams being far worse than us again, and with injuries mounting already, and unless Connolly has vastly improved over the summer - I'm not optimistic about our chances this time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh there's gonna be a lot of pearl clutching.

Guardian journo John Brewin also thinking after 4 seasons of perennial relegation fodder this will be our last.

The rest of the pundits on Football Weekly had us between 14th and 17th.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Sadly, I agree with him.

Unless we do some good transfer business in the next couple of weeks, I can't see us avoiding the drop for a 5th consecutive season. We certainly can't rely on 3 teams being far worse than us again, and with injuries mounting already, and unless Connolly has vastly improved over the summer - I'm not optimistic about our chances this time.

Its important that at least 3 teams are worse/that Brighton are better than 3 teams, or the club will go down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Banked £50m with huge savings made in our payroll costs.

Yet still no striker or LWB.

Even CP and Stains have spent money.

Shirley Bloom intends to invest later on in this transfer window?

Without that and our regular, already injured players, Foster has a point.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Some bloke on the Guardian football podcast also predicted relegation for similar reasons ... just another reason to ignore opinions from that dodgy news SAUCE [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Me thinks that Ben Foster may have developed the bends, seeing how quick Watford have come back into the PL.
Hopefully he'll eat all the Wenzels stock at Vicarage Road and slow him down.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Banked £50m with huge savings made in our payroll costs.

Yet still no striker or LWB.

Even CP and Stains have spent money.

Shirley Bloom intends to invest later on in this transfer window?

Without that and our regular, already injured players, Foster has a point.

If we don’t I think it starts to lend credence to the claims by some outside the club (dismissed by many on here) that we aren’t in especially rude financial health after all…

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
:shrug:

He's not exactly going to say Watford is he? There's not much between the bottom 8 and with no new forward and White gone, can't blame neutrals for thinking we will struggle. I still think we will be fine even if we fail to bring anyone else in, for what it's worth.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
We certainly can't rely on 3 teams being far worse than us again

Points-wise there were actually four worse teams than us last season.
Over the second half of the season there were seven worse teams.
Had our form during the last 19 games been replicated over the first 19 games we would have finished 12th on 48 points with a positive goal difference. Ben White is the only significant member of the squad that achieved this improvement who is no longer with us.

We are short on name players. We are not a big name team and we don't have big name players, so we are always an obvious choice for those who pick relegation candidates after a cursory glance. In reality, we have spent very little time in the relegation places during our time in this division. Our squad has fought for everything we have. There was one period when we looked like needing to rely on others' failures and that period cost Chris Hughton his job.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
good luck to Potter if he thinks we will now put away chances but how on earth has he not signed a left sided defender

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Points-wise there were actually four worse teams than us last season.
Over the second half of the season there were seven worse teams.
Had our form during the last 19 games been replicated over the first 19 games we would have finished 12th on 48 points with a positive goal difference. Ben White is the only significant member of the squad that achieved this improvement who is no longer with us.

We are short on name players. We are not a big name team and we don't have big name players, so we are always an obvious choice for those who pick relegation candidates after a cursory glance. In reality, we have spent very little time in the relegation places during our time in this division. Our squad has fought for everything we have. There was one period when we looked like needing to rely on others' failures and that period cost Chris Hughton his job.

White gone, Lamptey probably on a treatment table for most of the season. That's all our pace and creativity in transition on our right gone for God knows how long. I'm more worried about it than the mythical striker.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I, for one, am outraged, and will aggressively BOO him in both matches vs Watford this season.

(Not really, I think he makes a perfectly valid point that our window has been one of the worst in the league thus far - whether it ends that way remains to be seen.)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If we don’t I think it starts to lend credence to the claims by some outside the club (dismissed by many on here) that we aren’t in especially rude financial health after all…

Even Geordie-hated MikeAshley knows the benefit of signing quality in the forwards and game-changers.

This time last year the undoubted quality of Callum Wilson, today £22m agreed for the exceptional Joe Willock.

Hoping that Potter/Bloom are playing that old game of under promise/over deliver, with a couple of transfer coups to come.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
18th for us due to a "very quiet transfer window"

Down with the barcodes and Norwich. Although he did pick Watford to finish 13th and reckons they see their early games as winnable.

Could be right, could be wrong, could be well wrong BUT I am gonna have a moan here as this grinds my gears….

I’ve watched some of his videos - he placed a go pro behind his goal - really interesting good viewing tbf but here’s my issues with it:

A) You’re a professional footballer playing now in the premier league - save the YouTube shite for AFTER - this isn’t professional and you looked a right TIT on the pitch having just won a game waving a video camera around (one of the vids I saw last season) - very tin pot Ben.

B) For the same unprofessional reasons, he really shouldn’t be making predictions of where his team and others will finish. It will wind some up, it may bite him hugely on the arse and again… it’s just very unprofessional to be talking about teams and their transfer windows etc on the internet. It’s like chairman that are on Twitter - just really tacky. Very surprised Watford allow this.

I actually think Ben Foster seems a decent bloke but for the above reasons alone, I really hope we stay up and finish above Watford now. Bit silly, bit stubborn, but that’s what happens when you grind my gears Ben - sorry.

Ps - did I mention being a prem player and making videos like these are hugely unprofessional in my opinion?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Could be right, could be wrong, could be well wrong BUT I am gonna have a moan here as this grinds my gears….

I’ve watched some of his videos - he placed a go pro behind his goal - really interesting good viewing tbf but here’s my issues with it:

A) You’re a professional footballer playing now in the premier league - save the YouTube shite for AFTER - this isn’t professional and you looked a right TIT on the pitch having just won a game waving a video camera around (one of the vids I saw last season) - very tin pot Ben.

B) For the same unprofessional reasons, he really shouldn’t be making predictions of where his team and others will finish. It will wind some up, it may bite him hugely on the arse and again… it’s just very unprofessional to be talking about teams and their transfer windows etc on the internet. It’s like chairman that are on Twitter - just really tacky. Very surprised Watford allow this.

I actually think Ben Foster seems a decent bloke but for the above reasons alone, I really hope we stay up and finish above Watford now. Bit silly, bit stubborn, but that’s what happens when you grind my gears Ben - sorry.

Ps - did I mention being a prem player and making videos like these are hugely unprofessional in my opinion?

Or a current player might know a lot more about what he's saying than the office Tea Boy that 4-4-2 and others get to do their annual predictions? :shrug:

I can't imagine Foster will play a lot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here