Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bissouma (Gone to Spurs 17/06/2022)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If that's the criteria then I think Vicente and Bobby Smith may have a view on that, and we may have to see what Ben White, Bissouma, Caicedo, Sanchez and Cucerella go on to do as they all have the potential ???

If we are talking about people when they were at the height of their career, then I think Vicente just pips Lawro for me.

Sorry Watford Old Boy, Vicente comes nowhere near Lawro, with my specified criteria are you saying at his peak, Vincente got into the best four international teams in the world?

And as much as I loved Bobby Smith as a bloke, was too young to see him play, but world class, better than Jimmy Greaves?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Sorry Watford Old Boy, Vicente comes nowhere near Lawro, with my specified criteria are you saying at his peak, Vincente got into the best four international teams in the world?

At his peak Vicente absolutely got into the best 4 teams in the world. Real Madrid tried to sign him and had £36 million turned down in 04. Before his leg break and injury problems he was outrageously good

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

And as much as I loved Bobby Smith as a bloke, was too young to see him play, but world class, better than Jimmy Greaves?

Lawrenson had 38 caps for Ireland, Vicente had 37 for Spain.

At his peek Vicente would have got in to every international squad in the world. He was voted the best player in La-Liga in a season with Ronaldo, Beckham, Torres, Eto’o etc

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Vicente looked good because he was playing (when he could be bothered) way below his level. It means these questions need better defining. Lawrenson was probably the best ever for us whereas Vicente was far better before he joined us.

In any case, returning to the thread subject, I do think Bissouma and Caicedo have the potential to be global superstars and they'll eventually need to leave us to do so. Either has the potential to have a better career than Lawrenson., but they haven't yet.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Cheers, must've missed that one, just came up on my phone :thumbsup:

No bother! He did have some photos with family members in Brighton shirts up at the weekend though

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
I am endlessly distracted by transfer tripe, yesterday Villa, Newcastle, Spurs and West Ham sites all repeated the same Bissouma story, but with their club name inserted. The same for Cucarella but with City and Chelsea in the mix. Last summer it was Lampty and Bissouma and concrete facts on their imminent departure. Christ it's so boring and lazy. I just want to hear baseless factual stories on players we are definitely signing.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I am endlessly distracted by transfer tripe, yesterday Villa, Newcastle, Spurs and West Ham sites all repeated the same Bissouma story, but with their club name inserted. The same for Cucarella but with City and Chelsea in the mix. Last summer it was Lampty and Bissouma and concrete facts on their imminent departure. Christ it's so boring and lazy. I just want to hear baseless factual stories on players we are definitely signing.

Don't forget the Duncan Castles story last summer giving precise details of the contract offer we had allegedly made to Odsonne Edouard, although that wasn't actually lazy - a lot of work went into making up that pile of tripe.

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I don't think Lawro was Brighton's best ever player for Brighton though. If he had stayed for a few more seasons rather than going to Liverpool maybe, but that is where he spent his best years and had his achievements as a player.

He slotted straight into that Liverpool team and immediately became an integral part of one of the best teams ever. Have we had anyone better? Probably no ...

Not yet, anyway.

Last edited:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Well I think my point is he was a great performer for us, but played just two seasons, I think, in the First Division. He did not reach his peak with us. Arguably, Dunk with 5 seasons in the Premier League is the most consistently good defender we have ever had.
And I remember Lawro often played Centre Mid for us, but Biss is a much better player than he was in that position.
And if he stays with us for many years (which unfortunately I doubt will happen) I think Caceido could be the greatest ever (based upon what I've seen in 8 or 9 games so far).

Sorry I love Lewis Dunk, he’s one of the greatest servants our club will ever have, but to compare him to Lawro in footballing terms is like comparing Robson and Jerome (excellent in their own particular genre) to Lennon and McCartney.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Its almost like they articles are bot generated, yawn....

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta

I saw both many times including in the same Spurs team. Bobby Smith was very good and had a lot of skill to go with his large size, but he wasn't world class. Jimmy Greaves most certainly was and remains the greatest striker I've ever seen.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
I don't think Lawro was Brighton's best ever player for Brighton though. If he had stayed for a few more seasons rather than going to Liverpool maybe, but that is where he spent his best years and had his achievements as a player.

I see what you mean, but did you see him play for us? I'd say far and away our best player ever while with us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here