Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Use of pronouns……

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I'll wait and see what a drunk driver tells me to think. Sure there will be one along on GB News in the next few minutes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Do you have any examples of people being persecuted for accidentally misgendering someone?

My daughter's team played another with a transgender player. They lost and despite there being no comments at the time, they've lodged a complaint because the wrong pronoun was used!

As for others:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-47638527

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9_b49s-xVg

There are others but they seem to be where the mis gendering has been malicious.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not that long ago the word "gay" was used quite freely, pejoratively (it probably still is, amongst the older generation) - but the gay community reclaimed the word

WTAF? How can something being reclaimed that was never owned?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
WTAF? How can something being reclaimed that was never owned?

You genuinely don’t understand what “reclaimed means”?
I worry for folks like you over the coming years. You are going to struggle. Well, clearly are clearly struggling now.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
You genuinely don’t understand what “reclaimed means”?
I worry for folks like you over the coming years. You are going to struggle. Well, clearly are clearly struggling now.

:lol: Stop taking yourself so seriously oh guru one.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:lol: Stop taking yourself so seriously oh guru one.
How do you get that from my post? Bit of projection I shouldn’t wonder.
You were the one getting apoplectic about the concept of reclamation. Perhaps it’s you who may need to take yourself a little less seriously, eh?
These things are happening regardless. Nobody requires your understanding. Nobody is seeking your approval or your blessing. One can’t turn back the tide.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My daughter's team played another with a transgender player. They lost and despite there being no comments at the time, they've lodged a complaint because the wrong pronoun was used!

As for others:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-47638527

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9_b49s-xVg

There are others but they seem to be where the mis gendering has been malicious.

1. Yeah, that's just silly. Although in my experience folk are pretty understanding. They get that it takes time.

2. I was a bit surprised by that interview. It did seem a bit deliberate. It wasn't a very good broadcast as it became shouty though. Solves nothing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

verb (used with object), per·se·cut·ed, per·se·cut·ing.
to pursue with harassing or oppressive treatment, especially because of religious or political beliefs, ethnic or racial origin, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
to annoy or trouble persistently.

That doesn't sound like persecution to me. Sounds like one person has made a complaint. And can you honestly say you know for a fact that someone didn't make a nasty comment and that it is a complaint about bullying of a transphobic nature and not simple someone accidentally misgendering them?

From that article: "Ms Green said the posts were malicious and it was "not just the misgendering" issue.

Ms Green, the founder of the transgender rights charity Mermaids, said she had now withdrawn her complaint to the police.
"

It would be quite the coincidence for this not to be the same Joshua Sutcliffe: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-53650010

"An investigation in December 2017 found he had "misgendered" the Oxford pupil which broke its policy on equality.

At the time, Mr Sutcliffe told the head teacher he did "not share your belief in the ideology of transgenderism" and later took legal action for constructive dismissal and discrimination.
"

So your three examples of persecution of people for accidental misgendering involves one person making a complaint (without any independent proof that the complaint is simply about an accidental misgendering), and not really persecution.
A complaint that was bigger than misgendering and was withdrawn
A a one sided interview with someone who it turns out has an idealogical opposition to transgenderism, and unlikely to be 'accidentally' misgendering someone.

Quite. Seems very much like this 'persecution' for accidental misgendering isn't actually a big problem.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here