[Albion] Tino Livramento

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We obviously dithered too long :wink:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is the wrong answer. It was a hypothetical question. The point being he would not have been outside the Saints training ground to get hit by a bus, IF he had signed for Brighton
Wrong. It was a hypothetical answer.

Besides, if Southampton pay several £million for him, thus preventing us spending £millions on him, and he then gets run over by a bus, it's Southampton's financial loss, and financially we would have dodged a bullet. It really is very simple to understand .....................

Last edited:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
We have a budget which will have an upper limit - so if it is looking more likely that the striker signing needs more funds allocated than anticipated, then signings like this and a new central defender could be abandoned.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I find it very hard to believe that Chelsea would have bothered to put a £40m buy-back clause in.

No benefit for them to do that.
The only reason to add a buyback clause would be to play him or sell him on.

I can't see £40m being a good deal for them in either case.

Same.

I would surely expect the buyback clause to be lower. Any case we obviously weren’t keen on the deal suddenly. So has to be for a good reason.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Think he just chose Southampton over us.

Think that's probably the most likely reason - while a buy back clause may not be ideal, if we'd bought him for £5M, got two good seasons out of him, and then had to sell him back for £25M it would have been a profitable bit of business for us. If we'd wanted him badly enough, and he wanted to come here, that wouldn't necessarily be a deal stopper.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Think that's probably the most likely reason - while a buy back clause may not be ideal, if we'd bought him for £5M, got two good seasons out of him, and then had to sell him back for £25M it would have been a profitable bit of business for us. If we'd wanted him badly enough, and he wanted to come here, that wouldn't necessarily be a deal stopper.

The problem with any buyback clause is that they can sign him back (as long as the player is willing) during any window.
It isn't the club that owns his contract's choice.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The problem with any buyback clause is that they can sign him back (as long as the player is willing) during any window.
It isn't the club that owns his contract's choice.
Someones still going to have to explain the downside of this to me ?!?!

If Chelsea were to buy back it means the guy has performed amazingly for us and we would get a massive profit back as well. Win/win.

It just seems an ego move not to accept a deal like that and as previously stated would anyone honestly say they would rather have NOT signed lamptey if he had a 25m buyback clause.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

If Chelsea were to buy back it means the guy has performed amazingly for us and we would get a massive profit back as well. Win/win.

It just seems an ego move not to accept a deal like that and as previously stated would anyone honestly say they would rather have NOT signed lamptey if he had a 25m buyback clause.

Lamptey if he can get fit is worth more than £25M though.... so bad deal

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016

The downside is that this is little more than a loan. If he has a good season we could find ourselves having to hand back our player, admittedly for a big profit but less than the market value. It's an excellent deal for Chelsea but it's not brilliant for Southampton. Ultimately, they've chosen to do the deal so they're happy with the risk but I'm not entirely surprised that it's not a deal we've done.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Lamptey if he can get fit is worth more than £25M though.... so bad deal
No because you got value out of him when he played.so in effect you're paying money for the player for playing well after a measly initial outlay ....good deal.

Ali j , locadia , propper , iquerdo you pay a lot for and get nothing in return. These are bad deals.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
No because you got value out of him when he played.so in effect you're paying money for the player for playing well after a measly initial outlay ....good deal.

Ali j , locadia , propper , iquerdo you pay a lot for and get nothing in return. These are bad deals.

But if the future value is less than potential market value it is a bad deal. If Lamptey has 2 good seasons he is worth more than Ben White. Same as this lad

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
The downside is that this is little more than a loan. If he has a good season we could find ourselves having to hand back our player, admittedly for a big profit but less than the market value. It's an excellent deal for Chelsea but it's not brilliant for Southampton. Ultimately, they've chosen to do the deal so they're happy with the risk but I'm not entirely surprised that it's not a deal we've done.
Never heard of a loan where you get 20m for putting a player in your team. Lots of teams loan players and get nothing in return.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

To be fair we don’t know all the details do we so can only speculate.

Maybe there’s way more conditions then has been reported.

In any case it seems Chelsea have wised up to other clubs taking their best young talent on for peanuts and potentially selling for huge profit. I wouldn’t be surprised if our Lamptey revelation embarrassed them. And it must have been quite a funny internal conversation when they discovered Dan Ashworth was back in again this window. But for their academy player of the year this time.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
But if the future value is less than potential market value it is a bad deal. If Lamptey has 2 good seasons he is worth more than Ben White. Same as this lad
You need to readjust your thinking then. For arguments sake it's an imaginary 20m + 5m real money deal if he's playing well which is probably market value. If he's crap you lose 5m (no worries there) .....a very risk free sensible transfer policy with little risk.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You need to readjust your thinking then. For arguments sake it's an imaginary 20m + 5m real money deal if he's playing well which is probably market value. If he's crap you lose 5m (no worries there) .....a very risk free sensible transfer policy with little risk.

OK lets flip it - why did we do the Lamptey deal, but not this one? I don't think you can accuse the Albion on missing out on shrewd deals in the last 2 years

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
OK lets flip it - why did we do the Lamptey deal, but not this one? I don't think you can accuse the Albion on missing out on shrewd deals in the last 2 years
We don't know the ins and outs of the deal that's the problem. I think the player turned us down because we couldnt gaurantee him minutes.

Back to the lamptey discussion again. If we went back in time and chelsea had put in the 25m buy back clause .... In hindsight I would 100% have taken the deal lamptey has been amazing and I would be happy to take those memories and bank the 20m+ ...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We don't know the ins and outs of the deal that's the problem. I think the player turned us down because we couldnt gaurantee him minutes.

Back to the lamptey discussion again. If we went back in time and chelsea had put in the 25m buy back clause .... In hindsight I would 100% have taken the deal lamptey has been amazing and I would be happy to take those memories and bank the 20m+ ...

Maybe - but then you'd regret it in 12-24 months

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here