Votes: 19 6.3%
  • Love it and long may it continue

Votes: 84 28.0%
  • Agreed with the gesture to begin with but want it to stop now

Votes: 124 41.3%

• Total voters

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So really it's a matter of interpretation...

Trouble is that interpretation is broadly along political lines and people's stance on this is generally predictable.

Once again, I am sure there are hidden agendas on both sides of the divide - and for some it is the political perspective that dictates how they respond, in spite of Southgate reassuring the public that the team gesture is first, last and only about racial inequality.

For many reasons this is a deeply divided country and as far as I can see reaction to 'the knee' showcases those divisions; but I don't think it caused them.

Agree with that. Won’t replay views but on knee, however re the divided country point, think divisions in the U.K. have always existed, maybe with today’s 24 hour media, the rise of the commentariat and social media there is an amplification of that division which makes the divisions feel deeper than they really are.

That said their certainly feel like there are more divisions today, and that the divisions are more polarised. Sport and football should be a unifying medium (as much as it is possible in a game with rivalry) with the euros/World Cup providing periodic nation unifying experiences (like Russia last year).

This is the first such event where that more broadly unifying experience has been lost, and that is a shame.

The olympics start in a month and I think we will see more of the same there, especially now the IOC has banned the knee. Interesting that the ban was following polling of 3000 participating athletes of which over 70% said the Olympics should not be used as a means of registering any political protest. A landslide.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Agree with that. Won’t replay views but on knee, however re the divided country point, think divisions in the U.K. have always existed, maybe with today’s 24 hour media, the rise of the commentariat and social media there is an amplification of that division which makes the divisions feel deeper than they really are.

That said their certainly feel like there are more divisions today, and that the divisions are more polarised. Sport and football should be a unifying medium (as much as it is possible in a game with rivalry) with the euros/World Cup providing periodic nation unifying experiences (like Russia last year).

This is the first such event where that more broadly unifying experience has been lost, and that is a shame.

The olympics start in a month and I think we will see more of the same there, especially now the IOC has banned the knee. Interesting that the ban was following polling of 3000 participating athletes of which over 70% said the Olympics should not be used as a means of registering any political protest. A landslide.

'Some' England fans in particular have always found something to boo – one of the few nations especially at 'unifying' tournaments, who boo an opponent's national anthem, one of the few nations to regularly kick off in a host city. Football since the late 60s, 70s hasn't been a unifying experience given the far right element that has always followed England. 1996 managed to wrestle a lion's share of England back from them, but every now and again, such as a good booing, they manage to raise their heads above the parapet to remind everyone that a violent clash in a town square after far too many Carlings is never far off.

The irony is, that the booing and objection to the gesture has made it more difficult to drop. It's emboldened a need for it rather than it transforming into something else. They can't stop now because it looks like the boo-boys will have won. Such is the way with symbols.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Disappointed again to hear the booing at the England game yesterday, why can’t people just respect the players wishes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quite, if the players, as a unanimous collective have decided to Kneel for thugs that desecrate war memorials and wish to defund the police that is entirely upto them. The fans should respect their wishes,those that disagree should take their seat after the whole episode has taken place, it’s only 5 seconds [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Quite, if the players, as a unanimous collective have decided to Kneel for thugs that desecrate war memorials and wish to defund the police that is entirely upto them. The fans should respect their wishes,those that disagree should take their seat after the whole episode has taken place, it’s only 5 seconds [emoji2371]

Why don’t you just turn it in, you racist prick? People are taking the knee, despite you pissing your pants on here every day for weeks. Live with it.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Why don’t you just turn it in, you racist prick? People are taking the knee, despite you pissing your pants on here every day for weeks. Live with it.

Calm down dear. If you’re unhappy with it,there’s no need for the personal insults...you don’t want a ban.

Jan 30, 2008
If you're a big advocate of free speech why don't you respect the England teams right to freedom of expression? If you believe you should be allowed to say what you like regardless of what anyone thinks that should apply to everyone. Using your rules, The England team should be allowed to take the knee and not give a stuff what you think

That may be the case but it doesn't stop people objecting to it :dunce:
Regards
DF

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It’s an internet wind-up artist thing, even if you exclude the politics angle.

Someone explodes ….. bingo ….. one-nil.

The clue is in the thread title.
The English National football team have made a unanimous decision to take the knee for a movement that desecrates war memorials,fires flare guns at police horses and wants to defund the police, that is entirely their choice. I have stated on several occasions that I will not boo, I shall just take my seat after the whole episode. It’s a discussion forum is it not?
I would much rather stand up to racism than Kneel for thugs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The irony is, that the booing and objection to the gesture has made it more difficult to drop. It's emboldened a need for it rather than it transforming into something else. They can't stop now because it looks like the boo-boys will have won. Such is the way with symbols.

absolutely, but the booing-children are too ignorant to realise this.

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
The clue is in the thread title.
The English National football team have made a unanimous decision to take the knee for a movement that desecrates war memorials,fires flare guns at police horses and wants to defund the police, that is entirely their choice. I have stated on several occasions that I will not boo, I shall just take my seat after the whole episode. It’s a discussion forum is it not?
I would much rather stand up to racism than Kneel for thugs.

carefull you dont wet your mattress....

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

'You cannot separate the act of taking the knee from the Marxist BLM political movement. They are one and the same.' In his opinion.

Why is Farage given so much air time and who does he represent? He may be good box office but he has no mandate to speak for anyone else other than himself.

Also, he may be a racist, he may not, but there is no doubt that he attracts a racist following.....

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
'You cannot separate the act of taking the knee from the Marxist BLM political movement. They are one and the same.' In his opinion.

Why is Farage given so much air time and who does he represent? He may be good box office but he has no mandate to speak for anyone else other than himself.

Also, he may be a racist, he may not, but there is no doubt that he attracts a racist following.....

He only represents plutocracy

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

The thing is most people are quite capable of separating an organisation (or persons within it) from the broader movement. It's really not complicated. In fact, it's far easier to believe that the England players are kneeling for equality rather than engage in the frightening mental gymnastics needed to accept that Harry Kane is a Marxist sleeper cell.

For Farage and his ilk, Marxism is a handy dog whistle blown to smear an antiracist movement. It's just depressing that this bollocks is able to gain traction.

Randy McNob

Jun 13, 2020
The thing is most people are quite capable of separating an organisation (or persons within it) from the broader movement. It's really not complicated. In fact, it's far easier to believe that the England players are kneeling for equality rather than engage in the frightening mental gymnastics needed to accept that Harry Kane is a Marxist sleeper cell.

For Farage and his ilk, Marxism is a handy dog whistle blown to smear an antiracist movement. It's just depressing that this bollocks is able to gain traction.

it's also regurgitated by people who mostly do not understand what Marxism means.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here