Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Matt Hancock.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Yes there have lies and more lies and if it was Labour it would be no different. I speak from a bit of knowledge on as Mrs LBG works in a local care home and in the early stages of Covid people were admitted and staff with no track and trace let alone testing. Now its all very simple with hindsight to give Hancock a kicking,but what you have done ? Nhs at the time short of beds let alone staff,ambulances waiting to get into a hospital with seriously sick people. PLEASE remember before you reply what would have done without HINDSIGHT ? :dunce:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well, its hardly "hindsight" to let untested covid patients from hospitals straight into carehomes without expecting a catastrophic disaster on the most frail and vulnerable, is it.

I mean thats comically basic. As was the failure to lock borders down in March 2020. We're an ISLAND ffs. We should have had every advantage. Instead we're the worst in the world.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes there have lies and more lies and if it was Labour it would be no different. I speak from a bit of knowledge on as Mrs LBG works in a local care home and in the early stages of Covid people were admitted and staff with no track and trace let alone testing. Now its all very simple with hindsight to give Hancock a kicking,but what you have done ? Nhs at the time short of beds let alone staff,ambulances waiting to get into a hospital with seriously sick people. PLEASE remember before you reply what would have done without HINDSIGHT ? :dunce:

I wouldn't have done any better. But then, I'm not responsible for the task and wouldn't have put myself up for it.

As regards what Labour would have done. Labour aren't in power and what they would have done is irrelevant. But to suggest they would have done worse, as some claim as a justifying distraction, has no foundation.

Rebecca Long-Bailey said: “The first duty of any prime minister is to protect people, but whether it’s protecting the public from natural disasters like floods or public health emergencies like the coronavirus, Boris Johnson is consistently awol. Our NHS is already at breaking point. This government has to come up with an immediate plan to reassure us that it can cope.”

Starmer at the time said that COBRA needed to be meeting sooner and not delaying.

It struck me in the early days that things weren't being taken seriously enough by everyone (me included). Boris Johnson's own foolish actions spoke on their own.

Last edited:

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Well, its hardly "hindsight" to let untested covid patients from hospitals straight into carehomes without expecting a catastrophic disaster on the most frail and vulnerable, is it.

I mean thats comically basic. As was the failure to lock borders down in March. We're an ISLAND ffs. We should have had every advantage. Instead we're the worst in the world.

This.

There are many decisions that the government made during the early stages of the pandemic that have been roundly criticised, but with a possibility of being able to make a case in favour of them. Care homes is not one of those. There’s absolutely no way of defending allowing elderly residents back into care homes untested. It’s as close to a death sentence as you can get. And having lost a relative as a result, Matt Hancock can frankly **** right off.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

I mean thats comically basic. As was the failure to lock borders down in March 2020. We're an ISLAND ffs. We should have had every advantage. Instead we're the worst in the world.

Couldn’t agree more.

Genuinely loads of things I’ll give the government a pass for but these two are pretty obviously wrong from the outset. The second one it is almost inconceivable we managed to make the same mistake over, and over, and over again.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

You know, you can make your point without bashing Labour (how on earth could you know how they would have handled it?) and every member of NSC. Sorry, but you come across as a bit of a raving ninny. Although you have clearly just got in from the pub, I don’t much care for your tone.
The bear pit is dead, act accordingly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
127,000 UK deaths. 40,000 of which were in carehomes. The "ring of protection" Hancock banged on about was proved to be a complete myth.

This is a manslaughter charge of which the government should be held directly accountable to. No wonder that shambling blond "ruffle my hair" prick wants to kick the enquiry into the long grass till next year. What a disgusting shambles caused by a bunch of unaccountable charlatans. They truly are utter filth.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
reserve triage is the procedure adopted by healthcare department as the approved approach (observed in the devolved nations and abroad). question is if he knew there was next to no testing when he said there was. everything is political noise. though there was little test capacity to do it, so should have been obvious.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
reserve triage is the procedure adopted by healthcare department as the approved approach (observed in the devolved nations and abroad). question is if he knew there was next to no testing when he said there was. everything is political noise. though there was little test capacity to do it, so should have been obvious.

So (as Health Secretary) he was either ignorant of the drastic lack of testing from patients leaving hospital who were sent to care homes, which directly led to tens of thousands of deaths.
Or he lied.

Which one of those is a sacking offence ?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Are you seriously looking to defend him? He really has not done very well neither has the government , although credit where credit is due it has done well over vaccinations but that was nothing (or very little) to do with him.

If I were in his position I would be pushing for mandatory vaccination against COVID 19 as being the best way to protect the NHS going forward. I would have pushed for mandatory wearing of face masks as well and closing the borders earlier. Not his direct remit but certainly within his scope to publicly argue for it if he wanted to protect the NHS.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
So (as Health Secretary) he was either ignorant of the drastic lack of testing from patients leaving hospital who were sent to care homes, which directly led to tens of thousands of deaths.
Or he lied.

Which one of those is a sacking offence ?

probably lied to reassure the public, or wasnt told directly. meanwhile the policy would be enacted anyway. sack him for the lie, along with all others involved.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
probably lied to reassure the public, or wasnt told directly. meanwhile the policy would be enacted anyway. sack him for the lie, along with all others involved.

And on the matter of manslaughter ?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Cummings' allegation is a lot more direct. When reverse triage was proposed in government as a solution, ministers and civil servants demanded rigorous testing before they would sign off on the plan. Hancock promised it would be, when, according to Cummings, he knew it wasnt.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
The problem was Boris and co acted like the vast majority of the general public at the beginning and ignored early advice and acted as if it was just another flu variant..

This line from Cummings really summed it all up for me.
"It's just completely crackers that someone like me should have been in there (Number 10), just the same as it's crackers that Boris Johnson was in there, and that the choice at the last election was Jeremy Corbyn."

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Yes,yes I would have done things differently they had a head start Italy was at breaking point with the nursing homes suffering the most and yet they didn’t take heed.Still plenty of flights landing from India, the incompetence has been staggering throughout this pandemic. The vaccine roll out has been used to gloss over the huge covid death toll, it appear Cummings is telling the truth judging by Hamcocks response.

A hospital consultant who resides with us told us some facts only last week. Fact: the NHS was preparing for the pandemic back in January 2020 soon after it emerged from China and pleaded with the government to put an action plan in place. It was rubbished. The NHS warned the government that it could cope if government got supplies in at the ready. The government said no, the virus wouldn't get out of control over here. Days and weeks of warnings were shot down by Matt/Boris as nonsense until of course the shit hit the fan in March. By then ppe was short and needless deaths of NHS staff on front line which, many could and should of been protected had the government listened to the warnings of early January 2020.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

In support of Hancock, if your boss thought that covid was as harmless as swine flu and was on holiday whilst it was ripping through Italy & Spain, not giving a flying F, you have to seize the day yourself, Matt Hancock is not that sort of proactive person.

Secondly, if you listened to the Cummings evidence, Hancock is getting a kicking because he told the PM that everyone from hospitals were being tested prior to entering care-homes. Cummings stated that the PM was distraught when he came out of hospital himself because of the huge amount of people dying in care homes, it was not true that everyone was being tested prior to care-home entry. Hancock now says that he told the PM & Cummings that it was the ‘intention’ to test not that it was going to happen. Which snake do you believe? What is clear is that they are all profound liars and the public statement about building a ring of steel around care homes was hugely insulting for the families of the bereaved.

My biggest problem with Cummings’ evidence is that he stated that ‘tens of thousands of people’ would do a lot better job in Government than Hancock & Johnson. He was lying; the real figure is in the millions, many millions.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Are you seriously looking to defend him? He really has not done very well neither has the government , although credit where credit is due it has done well over vaccinations but that was nothing (or very little) to do with him.

If I were in his position I would be pushing for mandatory vaccination against COVID 19 as being the best way to protect the NHS going forward. I would have pushed for mandatory wearing of face masks as well and closing the borders earlier. Not his direct remit but certainly within his scope to publicly argue for it if he wanted to protect the NHS.

Please be careful giving credit to anyone but the Vaccine task force regarding the vaccine roll out. The very fact that No.10 and the Department of Health were kept far away from this project and that there were clear and accountable chains of command has led to its success. I know you said as much - but wanted to reiterate the point.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

They had just converted places like the O2 Arena and other big venues in every city into makeshift hospital around the country.

Did no one ever think. Let's use them as a half way house so to speak instead of releasing them on vulnerable Care Homes.

That's not a Rocket Science Idea !

After all they ended up not even using any of those venues at all.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
This is a prime example of why this country is in such a state. Captured perfectly.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here