Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] What is Oasis's best single?

What is Oasis's best single

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
If the title wasn't enough of a warning, this thread is about the best Oasis single. If you don't like Oasis there's no need to carry on reading. Move on to the next thread.

For those of us who do like Oasis:

I was having a debate with my friend earlier about which was the best Oasis single. It was a very difficult thing to choose as there are so many great ones. By single we don't just mean the 'A' side but the 'B' sides too. Thus absolute classic songs like Live Forever may well struggle against 'weaker' songs that have absolute classic b-sides. I'm looking at Some Might Say here...

There will be a poll to follow shortly but in the meantime have a quick perusal of the singles of their first four or five albums before they got bored of knocking out classic b-sides(or more precisely, when I got bored of copying and pasting...).

Supersonic
Take Me Away"
"I Will Believe" (live)
"Columbia" (white label demo)

Shakermaker
"D'Yer Wanna Be a Spaceman?"
"Alive" (8-track demo)
"Bring It On Down" (live)

Live Forever
"Up in the Sky" (acoustic)
"Cloudburst"
"Supersonic" (live)

Cigarettes and Alcohol
"I Am the Walrus" (live)
"Listen Up"
"Fade Away"

Whatever
"(It's Good) to Be Free"
"Half the World Away"
"Slide Away"

Some Might Say
"Talk Tonight"
"Acquiesce"
"Headshrinker"

Roll With It
"It's Better People"
"Rockin' Chair"

Wonderwall
"Round Are Way"
"The Swamp Song"
"The Masterplan"

Don't Look Back In Anger
"Step Out"
"Underneath the Sky"
"Cum On Feel the Noize"

D'yer Know What I Mean?
"Stay Young"
"Angel Child" (Demo)
"Heroes"

Stand By Me
"(I Got) The Fever"
"My Sister Lover"
"Going Nowhere"

All Around The world
"The Fame"
"Flashbax"
"Street Fighting Man"

Go Let It Out
"Let's All Make Believe"
"(As Long as They've Got) Cigarettes in Hell"

Who Feels Love?
"One Way Road"
"Helter Skelter"

Sunday Morning Call
"Carry Us All"
"Full On"

The Hindu Times
"Just Getting Older"
"Idler's Dream"

Little By Little/She Is Love
My Generation

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Acquiesce is just a brilliant song and arguably better than the single it appeared on as a b-side.

For me the all round best cd single of tracks is Whatever.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
They get a bit of stick Oasis ... but there are some great songs on that list

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I went with Some Might Say. It's a decent enough song in its own right but the b-sides are just brilliant: Acquiesce, Talk Tonight and Headshrinker. I think they might all be better than the A side.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Totally failed to read the post before voting.

Best single as an individual track - Don't Look Back in Anger
Best single including b-sides - Whatever

I still don't quite understand why Shakermaker was a single but Slide Away wasn't.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Weirdly I was just booking tickets for NOASIS playing down here in Geelong.

Should be a fun sing a long night.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I bloody love Oasis!

That is a really tough one. The strength of all the tunes on Some Might Say and Wonderwall stands out. But, my vote, controversially, goes to Roll With It as I actually think that is an under rated rock'n'roll tune and Rockin Chair is my absolute favourite Oasis tune of all time.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The run of singles from Cigarettes and Alcohol to Don't Look Back in Anger is incredible in the strength of the A sides and b sides. Phenomenal. No wonder they absolutely smashed it 94-96.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
They churned out 3 quality albums before What’s The Story came out in b-sides.

The singles Whatever and Some Might Say had enough material to be 1 very good album.

Still, cigarettes & alcohol was their zeitgeist moment. Mid 90s, hit the nail on the head.

Saltdean Seagull

Aug 21, 2011
Tough choice between Some Might Say and Whatever. Some of them B Sides are better than the album tracks. Sadly they went rapidly downhill after the first two albums, constant in fighting and Knebworth - what a mental day that was!

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

I still don't quite understand why Shakermaker was a single but Slide Away wasn't.

Me too, I voted Live Forever as best individual single but in hindsight would have voted for Don't Look Back in Anger, Step Out is a great song and would have been on Morning Glory were it not for a potential copyright issue and replace the only bum track imho on that album, Hey Now. Also Cum On Feel The Noize I think is an improvement on Slades original.

It's a mark of how quickly they declined however, I don't think the last half a dozen A sides on the list would have made it as a b side from the singles on their first two albums.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Oooooh tough. Oasis remain my favourite band, despite their latter day mediocrity.

I think I've got to give it to 'Whatever'. Purely because it's not even an album track. It's just one they knocked out for giggles and its bloody brilliant.

'Live Forever' is their best track though, IMO.

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Me too, I voted Live Forever as best individual single but in hindsight would have voted for Don't Look Back in Anger, Step Out is a great song and would have been on Morning Glory were it not for a potential copyright issue and replace the only bum track imho on that album, Hey Now. Also Cum On Feel The Noize I think is an improvement on Slades original.

It's a mark of how quickly they declined however, I don't think the last half a dozen A sides on the list would have made it as a b side from the singles on their first two albums.

From their later stuff, I think Let There Be Love and The Importance of Being Idle are BANGERS, there's probably a few more there if I thought about it.

There's probably about an albums worth of 90s Oasis quality stuff spread over the last 3 albums. I think Heathen Chemistry in particular would be a lot better regarded if it was some random indie bands debut, rather than saying "Oasis" on it in big letters.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Same here. I voted for Whatever based on the main song but would be Wonderwall or Some Might Say based on all the tracks. Acquiesce and The Masterplan are two of their best songs. Their b-sides from their early years is a lot of their best stuff

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
'Cigarettes and Alcohol'.

That was the breakthrough track, a classic rock 'n' roll riff, a song full of attitude, bravado and swagger that marked them out as different, the best 'f*** you' single since the days of the Sex Pistols.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Cigarettes and Alcohol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here