Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Hillsborough - more police escape justice

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
The fact that there is no requirement to tell the truth to a public inquiry bodes well for next years covid19 one....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Hillsborough again

The lawyer defending the three senior officers who made the police at the scene change their statements has just described (on radio 5) the last 30 odd years of those seeking justice as 'making a mountain out of a mole hill', and he blamed the suppporters for the deaths. Breathtaking.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Apologies for starting the other thread. I didn't see this one.

CPS at fault here for bringing a case they knew they would lose in order to bow to the court of public opinion that a case had to be brought. CPS 'virtue signaling'.

The defence lawyer, though. What a piece of work. I hope he gets sued for stating the deaths were due to the supporters not the police. The court rules against that some years ago.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Apologies for starting the other thread. I didn't see this one.

CPS at fault here for bringing a case they knew they would lose in order to bow to the court of public opinion that a case had to be brought. CPS 'virtue signaling'.

The defence lawyer, though. What a piece of work. I hope he gets sued for stating the deaths were due to the supporters not the police. The court rules against that some years ago.

Heard him on the radio. Disgusting ****er. His clients doctored over 100 Police statements to delete criticism of the South Yorkshire Police force, statements sent to the public inquiry.

They got off on a horrific technicality, no need to put the boot into fans.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The fact that there is no requirement to tell the truth to a public inquiry bodes well for next years covid19 one....

I wouldn't envisage that as anything other than a bunch of civil servants keeping themselves busy for a year to cream the public purse.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
OMG
I heard something on the radio this morning about finally bringing closure to this entire case and presumed it meant these guys were found guilty.
I go through life doing my best for myself, my kids, my family, my parents and my close friends. I don't break the law, park illegally, steal from others or do anything wrong.
But I do wonder why not sometimes. Life isn't fair.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

it seems the Taylor report wasnt a formal public inquiry, hence the technicality that blocks this prosecution. really this case was pointless all along, pursued by CPS to show they'd done eveything.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57257199

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Secret Barrister has a thorough breakdown explaining the decision.

https://thesecretbarrister.com/2021/05/26/the-hillsborough-judgment-what-just-happened/

The crux of it (as others have noted) is that the taylor inquiry wasn't, in the eyes of the law, public justice, so it isn't perverting the course of justice. It also notes that the original unedited statements are still available, should they be needed, as well as more nuance and detail.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Finally, after almost 34 years, the police admitting the "policing got it badly wrong".

Police forces have apologised for "profound failings" which have "continued to blight" relatives of victims of the Hillsborough disaster.

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford
Now we just need Liverpool fans to accept that their behaviour outside the ground contributed to the disaster.
The shithousing after it happened with the SYP making crap up and the media reporting it as fact is already accepted.
Unfortunately the South Yorkshire Police have done bugger all to change their match day policing.
If you are an away fan, you are fair game.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Now we just need Liverpool fans to accept that their behaviour outside the ground contributed to the disaster.
The shithousing after it happened with the SYP making crap up and the media reporting it as fact is already accepted.
Unfortunately the South Yorkshire Police have done bugger all to change their match day policing.
If you are an away fan, you are fair game.

Five Hillsborough myths dispelled by inquests jury​

LennyTee

Feb 28, 2019
Bedford

Five Hillsborough myths dispelled by inquests jury​

The behaviour of Liverpool fans was no different to any away fans going in thousands to an away game. Unfortunately the behaviour we all get away with every week, up and down the country caught up with them. The result was innocent people lost their lives.
Only a matter of time until it happens again.
To say Liverpool fans are entirely blameless (and I see in that article it does mention that there were ticket less fans) is just blind.
South Yorkshire Police (most police forces it seems) are absolute scum but dismissing other contributing factors helps no one.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
The behaviour of Liverpool fans was no different to any away fans going in thousands to an away game. Unfortunately the behaviour we all get away with every week, up and down the country caught up with them. The result was innocent people lost their lives.
Only a matter of time until it happens again.
To say Liverpool fans are entirely blameless (and I see in that article it does mention that there were ticket less fans) is just blind.
South Yorkshire Police (most police forces it seems) are absolute scum but dismissing other contributing factors helps no one.

This theory ... "Now we just need Liverpool fans to accept that their behaviour outside the ground contributed to the disaster" has been dispelled many times and making this suggestion again is inflammatory and just mischief making!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here