Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Arsenal’s Ben White

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Any idea when he's going to SING for the ARSE?

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Well I've paid my £10 bet to my work colleague who supports Arsenal so all bets are off. Feckin gooners.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Am I alone who is so fecking annoyed that I will never get to see one of the best players to come out of our club actually play more than 1 game with him playing?

I am such a dinosaur that I think when we have a great young player we should keep him and play him rather than look upon him as a balance sheet asset to be sold at the best price. I think Brighton care not one jot about his future they just see ££££££££.

I also don’t buy this argument of using the money we receive to buy better players…this NSC board of experts is always telling us we shouldn’t spend big on strikers etc as we can’t guarantee they will score..like locadia and the Swiss laddie…..maybe it will be spent on another set of defenders

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Am I the only one getting fed up with all the speculation of BW going.
If he's going, good luck to him, a shame I know, but do the deal and move on.......
It’s being done- he was owed a holiday and is now having his medical. It’s being done as quickly as it can.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Am I alone who is so fecking annoyed that I will never get to see one of the best players to come out of our club actually play more than 1 game with him playing?

I am such a dinosaur that I think when we have a great young player we should keep him and play him rather than look upon him as a balance sheet asset to be sold at the best price. I think Brighton care not one jot about his future they just see ££££££££.

When the club makes a loss of £60m+, I’m more than happy for them to cash in (big time) for a player that I’ve seen play (in person) less than a dozen times and have not built a strong emotional attachment to. This is not a Dunk, Bissouma or Groß but those three players are more ‘Brighton’ than White, more important to the team than White and likely to induce a much longer period of mourning from myself if they were to depart.

Thanks Ben. Best of luck in the future.

Now, Veltman or Webster at RCB?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
When the club makes a loss of £60m+, I’m more than happy for them to cash in (big time) for a player that I’ve seen play (in person) less than a dozen times and have not built a strong emotional attachment to. This is not a Dunk, Bissouma or Groß but those three players are more ‘Brighton’ than White, more important to the team than White and likely to induce a much longer period of mourning from myself if they were to depart.

Thanks Ben. Best of luck in the future.

Now, Veltman or Webster at RCB?
Or a back 4?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

I also don’t buy this argument of using the money we receive to buy better players…this NSC board of experts is always telling us we shouldn’t spend big on strikers etc as we can’t guarantee they will score..like locadia and the Swiss laddie…..maybe it will be spent on another set of defenders

I can see where you are coming from, but I'm still in favour of the club's policy of develop, improve and sell-on to become a sustainable club. Even if it means losing a player we'd like to see for a while longer. In White's case the timing is unfortunate - virtually the whole of his Brighton career behind closed doors. One more blame to lay at the door of that bloody idiot in Wuhan who insisted on poached pangolin for his breakfast, or whatever was the real cause of Covid.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I don't know how old you are but once upon a time the then chairman thought it was a good idea to not be financially prudent, signing players on 10 year contracts that then looked stupid when we got relegated. That was the catalyst for our spiral down to almost non existence.

The club aren't selling everyone. They've calculated that we can manage without White and we've been recruiting other players. I'd say the same about Bissouma. I'd love both to stay but in the long run we need to sell when we get offers like that.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
We’ve only ever seen him on tv playing ( except a few )

It’s harder to really assess a player when you are not seeing the full picture .

I think we will miss him and are weaker as a result .

50m is a fair price though .

I know the argument about plugging the money we are losing but I seriously hope we are going large on a striker .

If we can get that Spanish lwb and a striker and keep bissouma then not a bad window . You would hope that would boost the goals we scored per chances .

If we don’t address the taking of chances then it’s more of the same isn’t it ( which is still pretty good if in the stadium )

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham

Agree on the 1st point.

On the 2nd point I think you’re being very harsh on the club. The club carefully planned and managed his development to give the best possible chance of success. If he wants to leave then how is refusing to sell him acting in his interests, which I take it is what you want the club to do.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's nice that we have so many people ITK on this forum.

Thanks to them we know the fee and sell on details when the medical is going to take place etc.. Someone will probably know exactly how much BW is going to be paid as well.

Or are they just guessing/making it up/regurgitating clickbait articles ?

I think I'll just wait for the official announcement.

Last edited:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
We’ve only ever seen him on tv playing ( except a few )

It’s harder to really assess a player when you are not seeing the full picture .

I think we will miss him and are weaker as a result .

50m is a fair price though .

I know the argument about plugging the money we are losing but I seriously hope we are going large on a striker .

If we can get that Spanish lwb and a striker and keep bissouma then not a bad window . You would hope that would boost the goals we scored per chances .

If we don’t address the taking of chances then it’s more of the same isn’t it ( which is still pretty good if in the stadium )

You say a few - there were 2000 at the Chelsea friendly, the same number for the few games at the end of last year and 7500 for the City game.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014

It is frustrating that one of best players leaves without us really getting a chance to see him play in person. And I understand your point about retaining players rather than balancing the books. I think White's sale was partly that, but I also think there is another factor involved that I think justifies the sale, which is standing in the way of young players.

When big clubs come in and the player wants to go we have to let them go if the money is right. That's not just about the individual player, but also the image the clubs sells to young players. If youngsters have a choice to make between us and another Prem club, if we develop a reputation for standing in a player's way, then players might opt against coming here. Players like Lamptey might think twice before leaving a club like Chelsea if they think we're going to deny them future oppotunities.

There's probably a balance to be struck in there somewhere.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It is frustrating that one of best players leaves without us really getting a chance to see him play in person. And I understand your point about retaining players rather than balancing the books. I think White's sale was partly that, but I also think there is another factor involved that I think justifies the sale, which is standing in the way of young players.

When big clubs come in and the player wants to go we have to let them go if the money is right. That's not just about the individual player, but also the image the clubs sells to young players. If youngsters have a choice to make between us and another Prem club, if we develop a reputation for standing in a player's way, then players might opt against coming here. Players like Lamptey might think twice before leaving a club like Chelsea if they think we're going to deny them future oppotunities.

There's probably a balance to be struck in there somewhere.

And personally I find we are striking that balance pretty well.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Apart from Ulloa, we've literally never sold a player we didn't want to. Done well to keep hold of Dunk etc..... it had to happen sooner or later, it always does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here