Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Not convinced about sanchez

GrossTurn

Jun 20, 2020
Ryan got dropped because he was incapable of stopping shots from going in the net.
Sanchez, on the other hand, remains hard to beat.
His distribution has been off but he’s still well in credit and easily our best option.
On the whole he’s progressing nicely.
I struggle to see how anyone can see it much differently to that (for Sanchez at least).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Sanchez had such an outstanding season last time, he barely made a mistake, this season he has made a few and they stand out comparatively so it seems like he is having a worse season than he is.

There are just FOUR teams who have conceded less goals than us and three of them are Chelsea, Liverpool and Man City. Wolves are the fourth . I think its safe to say that he is in no danger of being dropped in favour of Steele or Scherpen

Funny the difference between 'feelings' and 'facts'. These are facts. My feelings were that he's made more errors leading to goals but that is not a fact.

A few heart in the mouth moments though

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I predict that he will end up at Real or Barce.

Not necessarily 1st choice, but maybe, who knows... but I predict he will end up there at some point even if only as number 2. Number 1 is possible if he excels.
Time for him to push on a bit, maybe? He's an excellent GK for us, very happy to have him as our no.1 - but he's not quite the PL young gun any more - there are at least two top PL GKs playing now as first choice for their teams that are younger than Sanchez.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I’m in the pro-Sanchez camp, but he has seemed to start games looking low on confidence this season (seems to grow into games) and at some point he is going to get caught out by wandering as far away from his goal line as he does when the ball’s in the opposition half. Someone will one day score against us from the halfway line, then it won’t happen again.

His distribution and kicking have had the occasional wobble, but I feel most of those incidents have been a result of nerves, and will get ironed out as he gains experience. Keepers (with the exception of Joe Hart and Jordan Pickford) tend to improve over time, I think he’s doing brilliantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
For me the jury is still out on him. The trouble is that while an outfield player’s mistakes are usually quickly forgotten, a goalkeeping error is obvious and replayed over on t.v. All young players are a tad inconsistent, Dunk certainly was , but he progressed . I hope Sanchez does too.
I agree though.. it is Potter’s opinion that counts …

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Several posters have forgotten how many goals we conceded from outside the box, with Ryan as No1.
It was a failing which cost him his spot.

This is an area that Big Bob does not struggle with.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
We've conceded 16 goals this season, which is lesson than 15 teams in the league. Sanchez deserves some credit for that.

How many keepers in the world are flawless week in week out?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We've conceded 16 goals this season, which is lesson than 15 teams in the league. Sanchez deserves some credit for that.

Just look at Mendy’s howlers on Saturday - European goalkeeper of the year for 2021 - and cost Chelsea more than £20m!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

None. Back in the days you could have goalkeepers who very rarely made mistakes because other than saving the ball they had very limited part in the game but these days every single keeper on the highest levels are required to participate in the game a lot more which means they will both contribute more and make more mistakes.

Just a matter of time until we have keepers that go full Higuita!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWqoh-8M1ig

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
His “problem” is the exact opposite, allegedly.

I dont think so. His style of play and body language makes him look self-confident bordering on arrogant but I just dont think its the case. People who are like that are always very quick to blame others for their mistakes and we never see Rob doing that when he does something poor. I think he is fully aware that sometimes there are things that he could do better and then he sort of tries to overcompensate. West Ham game might be a good example: he probably felt he was a bit too passive or indecisive on the goal (imo it was just a great corner but as a goalie I think you'd feel frustrated) and then for the second ruled out goal he might have been too aggressive attacking the ball despite Duffy being in a good position to deal with it.

I think as someone who would like to keep his spot in the Spanish squad and who is a keeper for a team that will rarely help him through scoring a shitload of goals, he might feel a bit of pressure. Overly self-confident, really dont think that is the case.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I dont think so. His style of play and body language makes him look self-confident bordering on arrogant but I just dont think its the case. People who are like that are always very quick to blame others for their mistakes and we never see Rob doing that when he does something poor. I think he is fully aware that sometimes there are things that he could do better and then he sort of tries to overcompensate. West Ham game might be a good example: he probably felt he was a bit too passive or indecisive on the goal (imo it was just a great corner but as a goalie I think you'd feel frustrated) and then for the second ruled out goal he might have been too aggressive attacking the ball despite Duffy being in a good position to deal with it.

I think as someone who would like to keep his spot in the Spanish squad and who is a keeper for a team that will rarely help him through scoring a shitload of goals, he might feel a bit of pressure. Overly self-confident, really dont think that is the case.

Seeming I know people who have to interact with the first team squad on a weekly basis I’ll take their opinion over somebody who couldn’t even point at Brighton on a map 4 years ago

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
He is very good, and still learning, so should get better.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Seeming I know people who have to interact with the first team squad on a weekly basis I’ll take their opinion over somebody who couldn’t even point at Brighton on a map 4 years ago

Yeah well I dont believe you so I'll stick with my opinion.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Still inexperienced at this level. We'll have to tolerate a few errors.

As other's have said, even the best keepers have a few misjudgements in them. The pressure of the highest level means that everyone will make the odd mistake.

Overall, looks a very good keeper to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here