Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
I don't dip into this thread very often, but does anyone hate Hamilton?

I certainly don't - he's clearly a tremendous driver and over of the best, if not the absolute best, of all-time.

But he does seem to be very quick to blame strategy/the team when things don't go his way. And whilst some Mercedes' strategy has undoubtedly been ill-judged, sometimes what looks like the best call doesn't work out - it's no-one's fault.

And when he does criticise a strategy, early, that turns out to be spot-on, does he ever say anything like "Good job guys - I thought you got it wrong, but you absolutely called it right"?

Many races, he questions / challenges the team decisions during the race.
But I can not remember that last time he did a post-race interview, almost immediately after stepping out of the car, and did not thank all of the team for their support (including those back at the factory).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I think both Toto Wolff and Christian Horner are likeable and charismatic individuals - I’d be delighted to spend an hour or so having a drink with either.

I'd love to meet TW

I have as much love for Thatcher than I ever will for CH, Having said that, he's from the same mould.

First impressions last.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not what I was suggesting - there is a racist element however in suggesting that the reason someone is disliked is due to the colour of their skin without any justification for doing so.

Because some posters in the past, plus predictable parts of the written media, have:

- Slagged off Hamilton for his BLM support, bringing taking the knee to F1; and the same people
- Relentlessly obsessed about LH’s overseas residence, angry about that and the ensuing tax consequences. Often getting their tax facts wildly wrong.

Whilst NOT ONCE EVER mentioning the overseas residence or tax haven status of:
Coultard
Button
Norris
Verstappen
Mansell
Damon Hill
Stewart
Countless UK-born golfers, celebs.

What are the odds of that? Must be something about Lewis.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But I can not remember that last time he did a post-race interview, almost immediately after stepping out of the car, and did not thank all of the team for their support (including those back at the factory).

Oh absolutely - he always does that.

But that's not what I said.

I said I can't recall him criticising strategy and then, subsequently, specifically apologising when the strategy transpires to be a winning one. But others have said he does do that, do it's likely just a function of my appalling memory.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

He may challenge but how often does he go against them and he doesn't lose his rag with them. I doubt any of us can appreciate the intense pressure whilst their racing. Not only driving the cars but also thinking about strategy.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think both Toto Wolff and Christian Horner are likeable and charismatic individuals - I’d be delighted to spend an hour or so having a drink with either.

Would be an excellent night out if you could meet them both at the same time prior to the next race!!! Get them to have a few jars to loosen the tongue a bit.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Blimey if we’re hating on people now because they disagree with the decisions of those higher up while at work then I’m screwed

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's difficult to see how there won't be a crash if Hamilton and Verstappen are in the same vicinity. Max has repeatedly shown that he is happy to crash and with him being the beneficiary if they both crash out why would that change for the final race of the season?

Mercedes best option might be to get Bottas to qualify next to or just behind Verstappen and then Max Max before Max Max's Lewis. But then maybe Red Bull will get Perez to Max Bottas before Bottas can Max Max.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I’ve come to the conclusion that Max is a complete loony really. Hamilton has had to avoid an incident with him so many times this season, the move in the first standing restart where Ham was so far ahead and Max didn’t break properly and went over the run off area to take back p1 and compromise Ham sums up his driving style.

There is hard racing and then there is never yielding and forcing over drivers to take evasive action to avoid contact, think the FIA have written off the break checking incident with that time penalty because they want to see an even duel in the last race. But for me it should have been at least a 3 place grid drop, he can’t keep getting away with this madness with no consequences or he’ll do it again. I just know the same thing is going to happen next weekend if Max gets any opportunity, particularly with him on top in the championship…

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stewards explain Verstappen decision
At turn 21 the driver of car 33 was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 and was told by the team to do so “strategically”.
Car 33 slowed significantly at turn 26. However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3.
The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.
In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of Car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.
Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS.
However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I’ve come to the conclusion that Max is a complete loony really. Hamilton has had to avoid an incident with him so many times this season, the move in the first standing restart where Ham was so far ahead and Max didn’t break properly and went over the run off area to take back p1 and compromise Ham sums up his driving style.

There is hard racing and then there is never yielding and forcing over drivers to take evasive action to avoid contact, think the FIA have written off the break checking incident with that time penalty because they want to see an even duel in the last race. But for me it should have been at least a 3 place grid drop, he can’t keep getting away with this madness with no consequences or he’ll do it again. I just know the same thing is going to happen next weekend if Max gets any opportunity, particularly with him on top in the championship…

Correct. The best thing for F1 is a 3 place grid penalty for Max for aggressive driving or give him a suspended points deduction that kicks in if he drives like a c*** again. If Verstappen gets ahead of Hamilton, he’ll take him out as soon as Hamilton attempts a pass. If he is directly behind Hamilton, he’ll harpoon him at a corner.

It’s up to the FIA to keep them apart or else the Championship race will last 1 lap.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
At turn 21 the driver of car 33 was given the instruction to give back a position to car 44 and was told by the team to do so “strategically”.
Car 33 slowed significantly at turn 26. However, it was obvious that neither driver wanted to take the lead prior to DRS detection line 3.
The driver of Car 33 stated that he was wondering why Car 44 had not overtaken and the driver of Car 44 stated that, not having been aware at that stage that Car 33 was giving the position back, was unaware of the reason Car 33 was slowing.
In deciding to penalise the driver of Car 33, the key point for the Stewards was that the driver of Car 33 then braked suddenly (69 bar) and significantly, resulting in 2.4g deceleration.
Whilst accepting that the driver of Car 44 could have overtaken Car 33 when that car first slowed, we understand why he (and the driver of Car 33) did not wish to be the first to cross the DRS.
However, the sudden braking by the driver of Car 33 was determined by the Stewards to be erratic and hence the predominant cause of the collision and hence the standard penalty of 10 seconds for this type of incident, is imposed.

Proof.

No driver ever brakes to let another past. The speed differential affect of taking your foot off the accelerator is ALWAYS enough.

Max break tested Lewis 100%

What a ****!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He may challenge but how often does he go against them and he doesn't lose his rag with them. I doubt any of us can appreciate the intense pressure whilst their racing. Not only driving the cars but also thinking about strategy.
If the strategy changes mid race it must be incredibly difficult to weigh up what the options are and which one is the best while racing at 160mph. LH is going to question it with good reason as once the race is on only he can get the car over the line.

I think I have always supported every British driver in F1 over the years and I really admire LH for making it to multiple World Championships. I'm fully behind him using his position to highlight BLM and other causes as he sees fit. Apart from the tattoos, he is an amazing role model and I hope he can win the final race in Abu Dhabi ..... GO Lewis!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Correct. The best thing for F1 is a 3 place grid penalty for Max for aggressive driving or give him a suspended points deduction that kicks in if he drives like a c*** again. If Verstappen gets ahead of Hamilton, he’ll take him out as soon as Hamilton attempts a pass. If he is directly behind Hamilton, he’ll harpoon him at a corner.

It’s up to the FIA to keep them apart or else the Championship race will last 1 lap.

Max is basically in a no lose situation if he qualifies around Lewis. He can and will take any risk because if they both go off he wins. He has driven without fear of the consequences all season. I’d be interested in the stats on how many times Lewis has had to back off this season, we must be close to or around 10.

If Lewis can pull this off it will be astounding as he has had to drive knowing that his main rival is a great driver but also one he cannot take any risks against. I already think he’s the GOAT but win this season and even his harshest critics would have to accept it, wouldn’t they?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Max is basically in a no lose situation if he qualifies around Lewis. He can and will take any risk because if they both go off he wins. He has driven without fear of the consequences all season. I’d be interested in the stats on how many times Lewis has had to back off this season, we must be close to or around 10.

If Lewis can pull this off it will be astounding as he has had to drive knowing that his main rival is a great driver but also one he cannot take any risks against. I already think he’s the GOAT but win this season and even his harshest critics would have to accept it, wouldn’t they?

I don’t know what is better than a GOAT but you’re right! Lewis would be that driver.

However, I can’t see any way whatsoever Lewis can win unless the FIA intervene. He is toast as soon as he gets anywhere near Max on the circuit next Sunday. Max has been allowed to drive like this by the FIA, he needs his wings clipped.

Thinking about it, a suspended points deduction is the only way (perhaps for both drivers). If one causes a crash, they lose 10 points or something.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Proof.

No driver ever brakes to let another past. The speed differential affect of taking your foot off the accelerator is ALWAYS enough.

Max break tested Lewis 100%

What a ****!

I doubt however, that the FIA statement with all these so called "facts" will convince Dave from Seaford who went Karting at TeamSport on a stag do finishing 5th and has a mate that works in a garage that it is indeed proof.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

We've been here before. Cheats prosper in F1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uG7IH3kKByI

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Stopping in the middle of a straight, in the middle of the track, with a G force of 2.4 ? Isn't that what most people with a licence to drive cars, would consider 'an emergency stop' ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here