Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zeqiri or burn at lwb vs toon

Who is starting left back against Newcastle?

• Burn

Votes: 54 23.8%
  • Zeqiri

Votes: 156 68.7%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 17 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
No brainer surely? Someone add a poll - my it skills aren't up to it!

I've added a poll for you.

However, I think a lot will depend on if Burn's hamstring has sorted itself out. I'd play Zeqiri based on his form against Saints but Potter will play Burn if he's fit.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
I have watched the second half of the Southampton game a few times and followed Zeqiri. He had a good game and is obviously a forward more than a defender. He is not afraid to shoot and drives forward. If Burn is fit he should start and bring on Zeqiri later.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Odd question.

If Burn is fit, he’ll be LB or LCB. Without Webster, we haven’t got the centre backs cover to play him at LWB.

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Although Zeqiri did well against Southampton for 45 minutes, its not really his position and i would prefer someone more used to that position. I'm not a fan of Burn at LWB but dont mind him so much as a centre back, however he does have the experience that Zeqiri lacks.

I would like to see Karbownik given a chance there, he played both wing back roles at his previous club, well enough for us to have noticed him and signed him, i believe he has also played LWB for Poland. I'd give him the position against Newcastle, is it too big a game to be trying things out? Possibly, but then we wont face any weaker opposition for the rest of the season apart from Sheffield United, so give him a go.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I voted Burn because I’m assuming you mean in a flat back four.
In that case I wonder why the OP stated 'LWB' ..............

Odd question.
If Burn is fit, he’ll be LB or LCB. Without Webster, we haven’t got the centre backs cover to play him at LWB.
We have, we can play White, Dunk and Veltman at CB in a three. Then we could play Burn or Zeqiri at LWB, and Gross or Karbownik (in his favoured position) at RWB.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Zeqiri to help my 2-1 albion win Zeqiri last scorer scorecast bet.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
The stats say that Newcastle struggle defending headed chances in their box so given that and the fact we need to be solid at the back, it has to be Burn to start. Great to have Zeqiri as an option off the bench though.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I think there are three options:

- If Burn is fit and we play 4 at the back, in which I think Burn will play and should play.
- If Burn is fit and we play 5 at the back, then Burn will be at CB anyway and Zeqiri or Alzate will be LWB.
- If Burn is injured, Alzate will play because it has to be 4 at the back.

My preference is that Burn CB plays and Zeqiri comes in at LWB.

Also if it pays off, Zeqiri at LWB could be an absolute masterstroke from Potter akin to him doing the same with March. Sometimes it can be a bit much, but Potter's creativity with players is most impressive.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
If Burn is fit he will play, either as a left sided centre back with Alzate probably at LWB, or as lwb with Veltman in back 3 and Alzate at rwb.

If he's not fit then yes, maybe, with Zeqiri and alzate as wing backs, but I wouldn't rule out a back 4 with Karbownik.

What was evident, however, from the second half against Southampton was that we don't really need our wing backs to have any defensive qualities other than ability to be in right position. Our back 3 basically works as a standard back 4, the near side centre back assuming the full back role, the other two standard centre halves and the wing back filling the far side full back role (who usually doesn't have much to do). It seems very effective

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Zeqiri with Veltman.

If that's not possible then Burn.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
The thread title is ‘left wing back’ which I would answer Zeqiri.

The poll says ‘left back’ which I would answer Burn.

If we play 3 at the back Veltman can play CB which is another option.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
If Burn is fit he will play, either as a left sided centre back with Alzate probably at LWB, or as lwb with Veltman in back 3 and Alzate at rwb.

If he's not fit then yes, maybe, with Zeqiri and alzate as wing backs, but I wouldn't rule out a back 4 with Karbownik.

What was evident, however, from the second half against Southampton was that we don't really need our wing backs to have any defensive qualities other than ability to be in right position. Our back 3 basically works as a standard back 4, the near side centre back assuming the full back role, the other two standard centre halves and the wing back filling the far side full back role (who usually doesn't have much to do). It seems very effective

Not sure we’ll see Alzate in a defensive role again after his ball watching for the Leicester goal. This is why, imho, he’s not been getting as many chances as people would like. His all round play is good, but he has a tendency to switch off.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Back Five:
Veltman - White - Dunk - Burn - Zeqiri

Dan Burn's name is one of the first on our teamsheet as statistically it's proven that he wins more aerial duels than anyone else we have.
We will need Burn to help handle Carroll, Lascelles, Joelinton.

Zeqiri looked great for 45 mins at Southampton, so I feel he deserves another chance at left wing back.

In summary, both should start but Burn is the more important for us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here