Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion receive go ahead to increase capacity from just over 30,000 to 32,500

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
If we're winning matches and pushing for promotion in the Championship I could see the ground rocking and full. Depending on restrictions, obviously.
Mid table mediocrity or worse and things will be different.
There's a hardcore fanbase who will always follow the Albion, I'd guess it's up from the Withdean days as we've made new converts.
12-15,000 if we're League one/ Lower Championship?

"New converts"? I suppose you are too young to remember the Goldstone but as you will see here, Brighton had 35,000 for Rochdale at home in the third division (the modern division 1). But either way, they wont average less than 20,000 to 25,000 at the Amex even if lower end of the Championship.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
"New converts"? I suppose you are too young to remember the Goldstone but as you will see here, Brighton had 35,000 for Rochdale at home in the third division (the modern division 1). But either way, they wont average less than 20,000 to 25,000 at the Amex even if lower end of the Championship.

This. I do wonder about the motivation of a few on here? We aren't Man Utd, but we really aren't Crawley either. This is a middle to large size regional club in a cracking modern stadium with good facilities and importantly a clever and progressive method of paying for season tickets. If Southampton say were relegated would people expect them to get 15k? Why would we? People need to lose this inferiority complex we're not at Withdean anymore and we're not going back...

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Imagine a cold, rainy Tuesday night, 7.45pm kick off against Rotherham....................that'll pull them in !!

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex

It isn’t the case. The doom-mongers are having their moment in the sun, for some reason they seem to relish the negativity........Saturday afternoon games in the Championship - if it comes to that - will still be almost sell-outs, except maybe where the away support is very small. There will be plenty of empty STH seats of course, but that’s always the case and is in the PL anyway.

First season back, Sky will be all over us. I’d expect ‘big matches’ to be at any time other than Saturday 3pm with plenty of tickets for category C level matches.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Our attendances were always decent in the Championship so if we did go down then they still should be. There’s also going to be some built up hunger to watch live football as nobody’s been able to do that for a while. & you’d hope that 4 seasons in the Prem has bought us some new fans.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Our attendances were always decent in the Championship so if we did go down then they still should be. There’s also going to be some built up hunger to watch live football as nobody’s been able to do that for a while. & you’d hope that 4 seasons in the Prem has bought us some new fans.

Our Championship attendances were excellent by and large, in no small part because we were ‘On our way’ but now that we’ve ‘been this way’ I can’t see the interest being as strong and fear Reading FC-esque attendances being our future should we drop, although you never know.

albionalbino

Nov 1, 2009
West Sussex

You're so full of shit.
You quote one match's attendance from 50 years ago, in a ground we don't play in and regulations that don't exist anymore?
to supposedly prove your point?
What about the games since then where we didn't into 5 figures? Goldstone?? Of course I went.
You live in the past. Welcome to the future. The world has changed. Rochdale 72 is never coming back.

Bloom isn't stupid, he knew the Albion could acomadate a new bigger stadium. Not even Uncle Tony could forsee COVID and its subsequent changes that we still haven't experienced yet.
Lets see where the future takes us.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our Championship attendances were excellent by and large, in no small part because we were ‘On our way’ but now that we’ve ‘been this way’ I can’t see the interest being as strong and fear Reading FC-esque attendances being our future should we drop, although you never know.

The Reading area conurbation has a population of 318,000.

Littlehampton to Brighton 612,000, before adding Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Lewes, Peacehaven, Newhaven, Seaford, Hailsham, Polegate and Eastbourne. The Albion has a huge catchment.

The Madejski initial investment era may be the higher water mark for Reading. In 2018/19 their average prettendance had fallen to 15,000, our low point in ‘the Danny Holla season’ 25,600.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
It was more like 27-28K in the seasons where we we’re top 6, and that was with most empty seats in the away end!

And it definitely dipped as low as 16-17k under Hyppia.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Littlehampton to Brighton 612,000, before adding Burgess Hill, Haywards Heath, Lewes, Peacehaven, Newhaven, Seaford, Hailsham, Polegate and Eastbourne. The Albion has a huge catchment.

The Madejski initial investment era may be the higher water mark for Reading. In 2018/19 their average prettendance had fallen to 15,000, our low point in ‘the Danny Holla season’ 25,600.

And the exiles. Don’t forget us exiles! :)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
And it definitely dipped as low as 16-17k under Hyppia.

Which games?

Could this be a case of a false memory created by the awful results and recruitment of the Hyypia era?

Our average attendance that season was 25.645 which put us third in the Championship for attendance. The lowest gate is reported as 23,044 on wiki.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

Another way of looking at the size of the catchment area is that the population of Sussex is circa 1.6 million and with the vast amount of housebuilding going on, set to rise. In context, the population of Northern Ireland is circa1.8 million. Throughout it's history Albion could always pull a crowd. It's not a club that needs Premier League football to get people through the turnstile. Such an under achieving club (except in 1910 of course..).

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Well done to the club on this. Adding the toilets, big screen, and outdoor kiosks (which I assume is food and drink) will be a big plus on the matchday experience. Being able to turn up early and enjoy a few beers out in the sun before a game will be great. & adding in the north east box, and north stand shelf all adds to the stadium looking more complete. Less of the grey wall behind the north stand.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The only real disappointment is the lack of permanent bandstand. Not sure why they got rid of that - could be great for the outdoor area on a Sunny day. The rest of it should definitely encourage people to get there early (when it's not peeing down)

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hope so, Friday night games were always my favourites in the last couple of championship seasons.

We had an amazing record for those Friday evening games in 15/16 and 16/17. In fact, I can't remember a single one in those 2 seasons that we didn't win, even down to 10 men against Sheffield Wednesday.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well done to the club on this. Adding the toilets, big screen, and outdoor kiosks (which I assume is food and drink) will be a big plus on the matchday experience. Being able to turn up early and enjoy a few beers out in the sun before a game will be great. & adding in the north east box, and north stand shelf all adds to the stadium looking more complete. Less of the grey wall behind the north stand.

Football? beer? sun?

Yeh I could get with that

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
If we're winning matches and pushing for promotion in the Championship I could see the ground rocking and full. Depending on restrictions, obviously.
Mid table mediocrity or worse and things will be different.
There's a hardcore fanbase who will always follow the Albion, I'd guess it's up from the Withdean days as we've made new converts.
12-15,000 if we're League one/ Lower Championship?

I don't consider myself especially 'hardcore' but I can't imagine the Albion playing at home and me not wanting to be there. Apart from work commitments and illness (and one idiot friend arranging his wedding on the final day of the 1979-80 season), I can't remember that ever happening.

So I'm willing to bet that there will be an average of around 26,000 next season even if we're in the Championship. Okay, if we don't get back to the Premier League within two or three seasons then enthusiasm may wane, but I think we'd bounce straight back. Maupay would do well back at his true level.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here