Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Crystal Palace *** Official Match Thread ***

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Kind of want to do a poll but there are far too many.

Just wondering if people felt Potter should have played for the draw in the last 10 minutes or gone for the full three points like we did?

Hindsight is wonderful and all that but personally I was happy to see us pushing so hard for those three points.

It was of course gut wrenching to lose in that manner in the end (and still hard to believe), but that's the risk you take.
Now I'm a bit concerned we will see a lot more draws again...

Gone for the win. Three points gained would have been more worth than the lost point is a loss.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

Just wondering if people felt Potter should have played for the draw in the last 10 minutes or gone for the full three points like we did?

Hindsight is wonderful and all that but personally I was happy to see us pushing so hard for those three points.

It was of course gut wrenching to lose in that manner in the end (and still hard to believe), but that's the risk you take.

go for the win but, white's hoof was mindless

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Give it up mate. Please. It seems whenever you have an opinion, we have to hear about it over and over again.
I'm pretty sure that the Ex. England international is not here to take the piss out of the club, from what I can ascertain he's a technically gifted and thoroughly professional individual who adds to the squad even if he's not playing.
If Mr. Potter decides to pick him over Modor or a youngster, then that's fine by me.

Awesome. Feel free to ignore me as I’ll do you. Cheers.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Can’t fault them for pressing for the win last night.

I think you’re right though. Unfortunately we’re now at the business end of the season, where we may have to fight and take these points as we’re not safe. Real shame some of those draws we had earlier in the season weren’t wins. Would be much more comfortable now.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
. IMG-20210222-WA0013.jpg

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I can laugh about it. It'll make the next time we beat them sweetener. That's football for you, thank god.

Yes but you won't register on their forum and post like a 12 year old because you have a nice life with friends.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Same. Feel exactly the same way Icy.

Especially the 2nd one he blazed over and he was laughing about it. Just utterly galling to me. As I said in the match thread last night, I don’t want him to play for us. Frankly I’d sooner player a Modor, or a Teddy Jenks or give another young player a chance.

Lallana has come here on huge money and a big flash reputation. But for me hasn’t delivered in one single game, and hasn’t even completed more than a half of football. Give a young player a chance, this ain’t a charity testimonial.

Agree Lalana and Wellbeck have got a lot to prove.

Zequiri looked ok on his last outing and has disappeared (not on pitch) , Khadra got picked and also disappeared. Personally I would have had Connolly on , if (i know a big if) he scores his confidence on the pitch rockets.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I found this exclusive photo from inside the Palace dressing room after the game, Roy addressing the team:

Screenshot 2021-02-25 at 11.45.51.png

(one for the older people probably..)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

You probably want to time such a poll for the 80th minute of a match rather than once it’s finished. I’m guessing the benefit of hindsight might at this stage influence the results. GP might even vote differently now !

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Is it still to soon to have a sensible conversation about the game?

I think I'm capable of that now.

My view is that Cahill was the difference.
3 superb blocks which at least two would have been definite goals.

Reminded me very much of the heroics that Dunk and Duffy used to perform for us week in week out.
We had a number of smash and grabs not dissimilar to that game in our first 2 seasons in the Prem.

In truth many other clubs have worked out that is the best way to play against us.
Few have had the ability to put away goals with such aplomb though.

You didn't deserve it, but when it comes off like that, you just have to accept it for what it is.

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
agree. Cahill and Ayew won the game.

Our best players failed to step up on derby day, despite our obvious footballing advantage

Fat sam will have noted 'the roman shield wall' formation...

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

Our best players failed to step up on derby day, despite our obvious footballing advantage

They didn't win it .. we lost it by not capitalising on our near-total dominance and usual **** finishing.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

I wouldn't agree with that at all.

Lallana skied one, but had two other chances brilliantly blocked.
We don't have enough invention to unpick a really determined packed defence.
And we don't ever seem, to get a flukey deflection to score from 25 shots.

Mateta's goal was a great finish, but nutmegging two players. with a backheel, to score?
There's a big chunk of luck when that comes off.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You probably want to time such a poll for the 80th minute of a match rather than once it’s finished. I’m guessing the benefit of hindsight might at this stage influence the results. GP might even vote differently now !

I voted 'snap you hand off for a draw' in the prematch poll ???

Are you familiar with the concept of disruptive technology? What wins EPL games right now isn't just skill and effort, it is zen-like carpe diem. The flash of brilliance. We can do it and have done it, but not often enough and our downfall is we too easily slip into an easy rhythm and lose our invention. The two Palace goals were beautifully disruptive, and reflect a mentality that remains difficult for us to emulate. The disruptive mind set that is always prepared to seize an opportunity. Palace aren't intrinsicaly better than us at it, but the were on the night.

Let's see whether Big Sam has instilled any of it into his blob heads.....my guess is he has.

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I voted 'snap you hand off for a draw' in the prematch poll ???

Are you familiar with the concept of disruptive technology? What wins EPL games right now isn't just skill and effort, it is zen-like carpe diem. The falsh of brilliance. We can do it and have done it, but not often enough and our downfall is we too easily slip into an easy rhythm and lose our invention. The two Palace goals were beautifully disruptive, and reflect a mentality that remains difficult for us to emulate. The disruptive mind set that is always prepared to seize an opportunity. Palace aren't intrinsicaly better than us at it, but the were on the night.

Let's see whether Big Sam has instilled any of it into his blob heads.....my guess is he has.

For zen-like carpe diem/brilliance plus any other pretentious nonsense see good old fashioned dumb luck. Most days we would have won that match comfortably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here