Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Crystal Palace *** Official Match Thread ***

theboybilly

Yes, it was sub that worked poorly and in hindsight shouldnt have been done.

But "what it was about" is quite simple - Potter expected CP to defend very low for the last 10 minutes and Ali J is a one trick pony: he is great at shooting from distance. If there is a good shooting opportunity from just outside the box, there is no Brighton player that I would rather see getting the opportunity than Ali. Unfortunately that is all there is to him. Whether Potter instructed him to **** around on the sidelines or if it was his own initiative to become the saviour of the day is difficult to tell, but either which way it really didnt work out.

I've got to be honest, I can't think of any reason why AJ is the man you would to see taking a shot from distance. There is nobody in this Brighton side that seems capable (apart from maybe Solly on occasion) that can manage to not sky a shot from whatever distance. Give me somebody who can pass the ball into the net like Jimmy Greaves did any day. Just make the keeper work, nine times out of ten a keeper will parry a shot. We would score more if we trusted to making the goalkeeper make a save.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've got to be honest, I can't think of any reason why AJ is the man you would to see taking a shot from distance. There is nobody in this Brighton side that seems capable (apart from maybe Solly on occasion) that can manage to not sky a shot from whatever distance. Give me somebody who can pass the ball into the net like Jimmy Greaves did any day. Just make the keeper work, nine times out of ten a keeper will parry a shot. We would score more if we trusted to making the goalkeeper make a save.

Whether you like it or not he is good at shooting from distance as he showed a lot over in Holland and a few times in Brighton, like this one vs Portsmouth (0.40 into the video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj00Hu1gy8E

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington

The kids love a Jimmy Greaves reference.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Whether you like it or not he is good at shooting from distance as he showed a lot over in Holland and a few times in Brighton, like this one vs Portsmouth (0.40 into the video):
Yup.
There may well be lots of things that prevent AJ making it in the Premier League, but his shooting ability is not one

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I voted 'snap you hand off for a draw' in the prematch poll ???

Are you familiar with the concept of disruptive technology? What wins EPL games right now isn't just skill and effort, it is zen-like carpe diem. The flash of brilliance. We can do it and have done it, but not often enough and our downfall is we too easily slip into an easy rhythm and lose our invention. The two Palace goals were beautifully disruptive, and reflect a mentality that remains difficult for us to emulate. The disruptive mind set that is always prepared to seize an opportunity. Palace aren't intrinsicaly better than us at it, but the were on the night.

Let's see whether Big Sam has instilled any of it into his blob heads.....my guess is he has.

I wasn’t familiar with disruptive technology but had an enjoyable read up on the subject, thank you. This resonates with the XG debate. Football matches have always been measured by the flashes of brilliance/goals. The frequent lack of correlation with ‘quality’ ( must be said in Gus’ accent for full effect) is intensely bloody annoying when your team is on the wrong side of it and gives incredible elation when fortunes are reversed. When XG tells us Brighton are 5th in the table, it is telling us that results should not be ‘disrupted’ by a moment of genius. I say ; ‘down with that sort of thing !’ and I will slowly recover from Monday night as my penance.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wasn’t familiar with disruptive technology but had an enjoyable read up on the subject, thank you. This resonates with the XG debate. Football matches have always been measured by the flashes of brilliance/goals. The frequent lack of correlation with ‘quality’ ( must be said in Gus’ accent for full effect) is intensely bloody annoying when your team is on the wrong side of it and gives incredible elation when fortunes are reversed. When XG tells us Brighton are 5th in the table, it is telling us that results should not be ‘disrupted’ by a moment of genius. I say ; ‘down with that sort of thing !’ and I will slowly recover from Monday night as my penance.

:clap2: :lolol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I think I'm capable of that now.

My view is that Cahill was the difference.
3 superb blocks which at least two would have been definite goals.

Reminded me very much of the heroics that Dunk and Duffy used to perform for us week in week out.
We had a number of smash and grabs not dissimilar to that game in our first 2 seasons in the Prem.

In truth many other clubs have worked out that is the best way to play against us.
Few have had the ability to put away goals with such aplomb though.

You didn't deserve it, but when it comes off like that, you just have to accept it for what it is.

Yes - Cahill made a big difference. I'm not sure about them not 'deserving' it though. I suppose there is more than one way of playing football - they came to block and snatch a goal if possible, and they did that fantastically well. So, in that way, they deserved the win - even if it doesn't suit our image of what we would like to see.

Your reference to 'smash and grab' reminded me of the commentator on the NBC stream I was watching who described it as the 'smashiest and grabbiest smash and grab you'll ever see'.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Yes - Cahill made a big difference. I'm not sure about them not 'deserving' it though. I suppose there is more than one way of playing football - they came to block and snatch a goal if possible, and they did that fantastically well. So, in that way, they deserved the win - even if it doesn't suit our image of what we would like to see.

Your reference to 'smash and grab' reminded me of the commentator on the NBC stream I was watching who described it as the 'smashiest and grabbiest smash and grab you'll ever see'.

That type of performance deserves a draw, because that's what they are really setting up for.
The win is always a bonus can't say it's deserved.

In my opinion, like.

theboybilly

Yup.
There may well be lots of things that prevent AJ making it in the Premier League, but his shooting ability is not one

I haven't watched it but Swansman mentions goals in the Dutch League and a League Cup early-round tie. It's what AJ brings to the Premier League that concerns me because it's not a lot. Certainly not enough to justify the price paid. I'd rather have Connolly and that's not saying much

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here