Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Richard Osman's House of Games.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I suspect that each week of shows is filmed over only one (maybe two) days. So is it that hard to take an interest for 8-10 hours if you are being paid reasonable money?

Jul 7, 2003
I suspect that each week of shows is filmed over only one (maybe two) days. So is it that hard to take an interest for 8-10 hours if you are being paid reasonable money?

I think that is a fair assessment. You would expect a 30 minute show like that would normally take a maximum of 90 minutes to film so probably done over two days.

Richard Osman posted something recently as people had been complaining about the lack of social distancing in the pairs round. He shared a video which showed how they now have to move the contestants chair, table, buzzer, etc to the new space and then back again to minimise the risks.

I always thought that the contestants didn't really get to take the prizes home but on The Last Leg recently, Alex Brooker and Masie Adam were talking about having their HOG deckchairs at home.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I was somewhat saddened watching yesterday's episode, Shaun Williamson, who l knew had a reputation as an excellent quizzer, had won Monday and Tuesday's quiz by a country mile. He had started yesterday's well too, when all of a sudden he seemed to switch off, took his hand away from the buzzer and virtually dozed off. Kiri Pritchard-McLean suddenly woke up, answered question after question in Answer Smash, and ended up winning the daily prize by several points.

I suspect the producers suddenly realised that they wouldn't have a show if Shaun won every programme he appeared on, and he was persuaded to let someone else win for the day.

It will be interesting to see if he has been similarly gagged on tonight's show too.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I was somewhat saddened watching yesterday's episode, Shaun Williamson, who l knew had a reputation as an excellent quizzer, had won Monday and Tuesday's quiz by a country mile. He had started yesterday's well too, when all of a sudden he seemed to switch off, took his hand away from the buzzer and virtually dozed off. Kiri Pritchard-McLean suddenly woke up, answered question after question in Answer Smash, and ended up winning the daily prize by several points.

I suspect the producers suddenly realised that they wouldn't have a show if Shaun won every programme he appeared on, and he was persuaded to let someone else win for the day.

It will be interesting to see if he has been similarly gagged on tonight's show too.

He seems to have been hanging back all week on the buzzer rounds, I reckon to let the others have a chance. I think that he is answering them in his head without buzzing, kind of like a golfer just enjoying playing the course, not his opponents. He seems, not only a good quizzer, but also a nice bloke who knows that the others won't have any fun if he just answers everything. Angela Barnes won every day when she was on, but she also didn't seem to be buzzing in really quickly and competitively, just giving the answer after the bunch of numpties she was up against continuously failed to know anything.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
He seems to have been hanging back all week on the buzzer rounds, I reckon to let the others have a chance. I think that he is answering them in his head without buzzing, kind of like a golfer just enjoying playing the course, not his opponents. He seems, not only a good quizzer, but also a nice bloke who knows that the others won't have any fun if he just answers everything. Angela Barnes won every day when she was on, but she also didn't seem to be buzzing in really quickly and competitively, just giving the answer after the bunch of numpties she was up against continuously failed to know anything.

I agree he does seem a tad embarrassed at being about the only one knowing any of the answers, I was getting mildly irritated at him last night though when he virtually downed tools, shouting at the tv, come on Shaun, don't let the morons win!

SAC

May 21, 2014
Barry is an excellent quizzer and I agree he does look as if he is hanging back a bit, I thought the same when Andrew Hunter Murray was on a few weeks ago.

Seems odd watching it with everyone so close together, I presume this was recorded earlier and is being shown out of order for some reason, has one of them died?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
A special week panel of Andrew Hunter-Murray, Shaun Williamson, Steve Pemberton and Angela Barnes, as the ones who've been head and shoulders above the rest of their panels would be great fun I reckon

Jul 7, 2003
Shaun Williamson is a pretty smart bloke. I think they said he was a three time Pointless champion and Celebrity Mastermind winner.

If anyone saw Al Murray's Pub Quiz, he would take on these quiz teams in a head to head challenge and rarely lost.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I sat watching last night's programme, and one of the questions was, name the Premier League football stadium, with the most amount of letters.

I know this l thought! Of the four contenstants the longest name thay came up with was Stamford Bridge, which earned Radzi Chinyanganya one point for coming up with the longest name between the four players, another point was on offer if it was the longest name of all. It turned out that it was!

Whatever happened to The American Express Community Stadium? I know it could be argued that that is only the name that is given to it by our sponsors, but one of the contestants thought it was the Emirates, and that was allowed!

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Shaun Williamson (or barry from Eastenders to most of us) recently hammered the chasers in Beat the Chasers. Won 120K for his charity.

He is some quizzer. IIRC he started quizzing "properly" for a year and made it into the UK's top 50 quizzers.

I watched when he was on HOG and it pissed me off that he had clearly been told to go easy after the first couple of days.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I sat watching last night's programme, and one of the questions was, name the Premier League football stadium, with the most amount of letters.

I know this l thought! Of the four contenstants the longest name thay came up with was Stamford Bridge, which earned Radzi Chinyanganya one point for coming up with the longest name between the four players, another point was on offer if it was the longest name of all. It turned out that it was!

Whatever happened to The American Express Community Stadium? I know it could be argued that that is only the name that is given to it by our sponsors, but one of the contestants thought it was the Emirates, and that was allowed!

We had the same conversation here. These are repeats and when my daughter looked, quite a few people had tweeted Richard when the programme was first shown last year. Stamford Bridge was definitely incorrect. The question was based on the 2018/19 season. If sponsor's names were not considered, it would be the City of Manchester (stadium) at 16 letters, if they were, then the American Express Community (Stadium) at 24.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
We had the same conversation here. These are repeats and when my daughter looked, quite a few people had tweeted Richard when the programme was first shown last year. Stamford Bridge was definitely incorrect. The question was based on the 2018/19 season. If sponsor's names were not considered, it would be the City of Manchester (stadium) at 16 letters, if they were, then the American Express Community (Stadium) at 24.

I doubt if too many people at the Beeb even realise that little old Brighton are in the Premier League. Even the Match of the Day team seem haven't got round to accepting us yet.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I doubt if too many people at the Beeb even realise that little old Brighton are in the Premier League. Even the Match of the Day team seem haven't got round to accepting us yet.

I think it more likely that a researcher just looked at the 2018/19 Season Wikipedia page, where our ground is listed as 'Falmer Stadium' and didn't drill down any further.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

The annoying thing is that they got this wrong when first shown, and there was no correction at the end of the repeat. On this basis I believe that every Albion ST holder should get a full refund on their TV licence

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here