Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter In or Out

Potter IN//OUT or Fence?

• Total voters

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Potter out! Why? The team played a friggin awesome game he can hardly be blamed for Maupay and Trossard missing great chances. Like I said in another thread Trossard is a great chance maker, he just shouldn't be relied upon to take those chances. We need a decent front pairing, then we would be in the top ten. What more can Potter do.:shrug:

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Performances been better recently. However the huge lack of pace means we are going down and he should be sacked when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
If you go by converted chances created (xG), we would be in 9th place. Potter could and should do better with his subs, especially when the forwards are clearly not looking like they are going to score (yesterday was deeply frustrating when no changes were made), but the issue still mainly lies with poor recruitment of forwards, not with the manager.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It's not his fault we aren't taking our chances in the final third, but playing 3 at the back against Fulham is desperate. His determination to stick with a formation that doesn't get the positive results we need is really, really frustrating. We keep hearing about his tactical flexibility, but I don't agree - he's incredibly inflexible because he won't switch to tactics which might get us more than the occasional win.

TBF if we wanted to play a back 4, who would you have as left back?
Burn?
Who would you drop to make room?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Performances been better recently. However the huge lack of pace means we are going down and he should be sacked when that happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pace has been a problem for years, and it's really tough to change things overnight. If you look at recent additions, the club are trying to address this (Lamptey, Karbownik, Tau). The thing I like about Potter, though, is that since he's come in we've become so much better at moving the ball quickly through the midfield without players of great pace - you need skilful players who think quickly, and we've got quite a few of those (Mac Allister, Gross, Lllalana, Bissouma - plus Moder, if you believe the reports).

SAC

May 21, 2014
Fence. Still being saved by the away form and the fact that home and away doesn't really matter with no fans. If I had been paying to see no wins, I probably would be in the out camp.

The question for me is could anyone else do any better with this squad of players and I'm not convinced anyone could. West Brom have shown that changing your manager doesn't automatically mean an upturn in points.

Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham / Newcastle will finish in the bottom three.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fence. Still being saved by the away form and the fact that home and away doesn't really matter with no fans. If I had been paying to see no wins, I probably would be in the out camp.

The question for me is could anyone else do any better with this squad of players and I'm not convinced anyone could. West Brom have shown that changing your manager doesn't automatically mean an upturn in points.

Sheffield United, West Brom and Fulham / Newcastle will finish in the bottom three.

I hope it doesn’t come to it but I think we’d be absolutely nailed on to go down if we sacked Potter at this stage of the season

SAC

May 21, 2014
I hope it doesn’t come to it but I think we’d be absolutely nailed on to go down if we sacked Potter at this stage of the season

I don't think so, the other teams at the bottom are hardly putting up a fight. SU had another win but far too late to worry about. Fulham and West Brom both have three points from the last 5 matches and Newcastle don't have any.

We wont ever know one way or the other though as I don't think he will be sacked.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Most people on here don't seem to have much of an understanding of how football is evolving. The best managers in the world are moving in a different direction to the has beens of old and have a different vision of the way forward. Gone are the days of fielding the same players each week in the same system and managers that continue to follow that philosophy will eventually sink without trace. The reason being that the more astute managers will easily be able to determine the strengths and weaknesses of those teams and put out a side and system against them that will exploit those weaknesses and negate those strengths.

We may have not won for a while at home but we are still hanging in there and improving each week in the development of our different styles of play and rotation of players to give us the best advantage against the opposition we face.

For the above reasons I am very much Potter in........the journey has only just begun

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
I recently moved from fence to out.
I am beginning to wonder if football has moved on from me. I get the greatest pleasure from seeing my team win, a team I have supported for over 50 years. I don't much care for possession stats and XG. In my probably old fashioned opinion the only true measure of success and failure is the league table. Don't get me wrong I love it when the team play well and win but I can honestly say playing well and not winning doesn't give me a great deal of pleasure.
I remember being at West Ham when Guy Butters headed the winner. The joy talking about it on the way home with my Dad. Not once did we say or care that we were lucky, or West Ham bossed possession or West Ham's XG was this or that.
I used to love the build up to games, love long discussions with Dad after the games and I am sorry but this team and this manager don't give me that.
Everyone could have predicted what would happen yesterday. Lovely play in the middle third, bossing possession stats, high XG but not winning. It is the same every week. I keep hearing 'on another night', can someone tell me when that night will be, they have been pretty rare over the past year.
I want that hope back, the expectation, the excitement.

I think a year of exactly the same type of performances, with the very occasional win, tells me that Potter is not the man for me. Or maybe my time with football is nearly up if the modern way is stats and XGs rather than wins.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here