Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simon Rusk leaving.

Stockport had a bit of an off day today but you can see them storming it next season

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Well, Hartlepools have no chance in the final. According to the BBC they’re playing the Seagulls in the final.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Looks as though Mark Beard the current u18s coach is off to join Rusk as his assistant at Stockport

[tweet]1411690509345624064[/tweet]

Last edited:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Looks as though Mark Beard the current u18s coach is off to join Rusk as his assistant at Stockport

[tweet]1411690509345624064[/tweet]
That's not good news, I think. Saw his interview on the Brighton website reviewing the U18 season, and was very impressed by him.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2180574/beard-sets-new-targets-for-his-under-18s/

Thought to myself when I watched it, great, the club have even got succession planning in place for the day when GP gets poached by a bigger club. Hey ho, not to be. Strange move though - surely it's a downward step, both in prestige and possibly pay. Understandable for Rusk, who wanted his chance to be the boss, but less so for Beard, I would have thought.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Am amazed at finances in non league football. Full time players and non playing staff and all on gates of 2/3k. Beard will not be going for less, plus needs accommodation etc. Where does money come from ?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
That's not good news, I think. Saw his interview on the Brighton website reviewing the U18 season, and was very impressed by him.

https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2180574/beard-sets-new-targets-for-his-under-18s/

Thought to myself when I watched it, great, the club have even got succession planning in place for the day when GP gets poached by a bigger club. Hey ho, not to be. Strange move though - surely it's a downward step, both in prestige and possibly pay. Understandable for Rusk, who wanted his chance to be the boss, but less so for Beard, I would have thought.

Its seems to be that managing or coaching etc in men’s first team football is seen as better for the career than the same role in youth football, even if you are stepping down from a PL club setup. We’ve lost Rosenior, Rusk and Beard as they’ve been offered first team coaching/managing roles in the last couple of seasons.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Its seems to be that managing or coaching etc in men’s first team football is seen as better for the career than the same role in youth football, even if you are stepping down from a PL club setup. We’ve lost Rosenior, Rusk and Beard as they’ve been offered first team coaching/managing roles in the last couple of seasons.
Yes, I can see where you're coming from, but Rosenior only dropped down one division, and is now assistant manager, and Rusk moved to the top job, albeit at a lower level. Beard's move? I don't know - but I'm sure he knows what he's doing. Good luck to him anyway.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Beard was under 18s head coach, no idea what sort of salary that would have at a PL club with arguably one of the best academies in the country.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Am amazed at finances in non league football. Full time players and non playing staff and all on gates of 2/3k. Beard will not be going for less, plus needs accommodation etc. Where does money come from ?

Yes l take your point, plus even though the finances are there now, it doesn't mean that they always will be. Non league football is renowned form owners pulling out, and sponsors withdrawing at short or no notice.

If that happens then maybe Beard can start to worry.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I am very surprised by this news, I wonder if Beard was disappointed not to get the u23s gig? I've only heard Beard speak a few times when the club have put out videos, but I thought he spoke very well and seemed like a good bloke. Maybe he sees Stockport as a chance to work with senior players ahead of wanting to become a first team manager somewhere? It's a shame for us, we don't want to be having too much turnover of coaches in the academy, but at least it's not during the season. No doubt the club will attract the calibre of candidates it wants and there'll be plans in place for his successor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here