Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Simon Rusk leaving.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Possible I think, he’s in the U18 coaching staff isn’t he ?

He originally started coaching the Under 16s when he retired, not sure if he’s moved up but would still be a good choice.

Yep, as far as I an aware, Sidwell was still the assistant coach for the U-16s last season (to Ben Smith, who took temporary charge of the U-18s for a few months when Simon Rusk was promoted from the U-18s to the U-23s back in the day).

James Baxter was the assistant to Mark Beard last season, so I guess those three (Smith, Sidwell, Baxter) would be the leading internal candidates for promotion.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am very surprised by this news, I wonder if Beard was disappointed not to get the u23s gig? I've only heard Beard speak a few times when the club have put out videos, but I thought he spoke very well and seemed like a good bloke. Maybe he sees Stockport as a chance to work with senior players ahead of wanting to become a first team manager somewhere? It's a shame for us, we don't want to be having too much turnover of coaches in the academy, but at least it's not during the season. No doubt the club will attract the calibre of candidates it wants and there'll be plans in place for his successor.

I know Mark, largely through friends, he is a lovely bloke who always says hello and has a chat whenever I bump into him.

What I do know though is he is very ambitious, I have no doubt he applied for the u23 role and would have been disappointed not to get it, so its no suprise to me at all that he has taken the new opportunity to further his career.

He has aspirations of being a manager himself one day.

As I say a really great guy, with a lovely family. I wish him all the best.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Hopefully the good guys who leave us recognise how great our club is and have an eye to returning some time in the future with more experience.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Important game today against Notts. Rusks boys needs to start winning or things are going to start look dark for him, as they have a strong team and should fight for promotion.

0-0 in half time.

This is btw the Graham Potter derby, with Potters replacement in Östersund (Ian Burchnall) currently managing Notts.

Interesting thing they've done in Notts is this "quarter season review" where they show clips and Burchnall narrates what they are trying to do and could do better;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8UTHqc9yaM

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
If non playing staff is anything to go by Stockport have huge budget compared to others in League and if you take on job with that backing have to deliver. Salford manager next if he doesnt get them challenging for promotion

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Mark has a new job... but its not been announced yet so I cant say !

Its not with the Albion though, but a lot nearer home so all are happy :)

Countyfan

Oct 27, 2021
Must admit I’m delighted he’s been sacked - nothing more than a PE teacher for me.

We have wasted a significant amount of money papering over the cracks of his tactical ineptitude. Wouldn’t wish him on any other club in a managerial capacity. Get back to coaching kids.

Now if only we could get rid of our DoF too…

Bit harsh there! Conference is a very tough league and they were hardly doing that badly, away results very good just a few sticky ones at home

Hope to see Simon and the two Marks back in football soon

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Bit harsh there! Conference is a very tough league and they were hardly doing that badly, away results very good just a few sticky ones at home

Hope to see Simon and the two Marks back in football soon

Not sure if true, but I read that this Stockport team is the most expensive team to ever play in the Conference, a 9th place was probably not what the owners had in mind.

Agree it appears to be a very tough league though. Quality is clearly not all that matters down there.

Not sure if true, but I read that this Stockport team is the most expensive team to ever play in the Conference, a 9th place was probably not what the owners had in mind.

Agree it appears to be a very tough league though. Quality is clearly not all that matters down there.

Interesting contrast with the Wrexham owners. When you are more trigger happy than a pair of Hollywood blow-ins

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Joined up with Mark McGhee at Dundee. Although Mark McGhee has an unspent 6 game ban from when he was last manager in Scotland that may need to still be served

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here