Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
No link to leaving the EU whatsoever. BA did it, while we were in the EU. Capita did it, while we were in the EU. EDF did it, while we were in the EU, Southern Water did it, while we were in the EU. Ryan Air did it , while we were in the EU and they're based in Ireland anyway who are of course, in the EU.

That doesn't make it right but it has bugger all to do with us leaving the EU.

As for the 48 hour Work Directive - I really can't remember the last time I saw a contract that didn't auto-opt the employee out anyway. A useless bit of legislation.

But you seem to have totally ignored the first part of her post relating to this

UK workers’ rights at risk in plans to rip up EU labour market rules

Worker protections enshrined in EU law — including the 48-hour week — would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of UK labour markets.*

The main areas of focus are on ending the 48-hour working week, tweaking the rules around rest breaks at work and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, said people familiar with the plans.

The government also wants to remove the requirement of businesses to log the detailed, daily reporting of working hours, saving an estimated £1bn.

https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

Which has absolutely everything to do with Brexit. A little surprising with you being such an ardent and principled supporter of worker's rights, animal rights and that sort of thing ???

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
British Gas are planning to sack all their staff and rehire them on completely different contracts. Employment rights going downhill rapidly.

But you seem to have totally ignored the first part of her post relating to this

I know you see things that aren't really there so feel free to explain how the first part of TB's post mentioned this ? I've highlighted the first part to help you.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

UK workers’ rights at risk in plans to rip up EU labour market rules

Worker protections enshrined in EU law — including the 48-hour week — would be ripped up under plans being drawn up by the government as part of a post-Brexit overhaul of UK labour markets.*

The main areas of focus are on ending the 48-hour working week, tweaking the rules around rest breaks at work and not including overtime pay when calculating some holiday pay entitlements, said people familiar with the plans.

The government also wants to remove the requirement of businesses to log the detailed, daily reporting of working hours, saving an estimated £1bn.

https://www.ft.com/content/55588f86-a4f8-4cf3-aecb-38723b787569

Which has absolutely everything to do with Brexit. A little surprising with you being such an ardent supporter of worker's rights, animal rights and that sort of thing ???

Seems to be denial that things are going to change, people have voted to lose rights and privileges. It goes way beyond making it harder to retire in France...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know you see things that aren't really there so feel free to explain how the first part of TB's post mentioned this ? I've highlighted the first part to help you.

Thundebolt.jpg

And I've drawn a bloody great line round it to help you (in blushing pink - seemed appropriate) :lolol:

Or, maybe Just follow this link to her post that you quoted :facepalm:

The Financial Times front page you completely ignored, (so I gave you the link in my post above) has absolutely everything to do with Brexit. A little surprising you don't have a view with you being such an ardent and principled supporter of worker's rights, animal rights and that sort of thing

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That is what I have been told by an employee of BG.

The article mentions employment rights being removed in the future.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No link to leaving the EU whatsoever. BA did it, while we were in the EU. Capita did it, while we were in the EU. EDF did it, while we were in the EU, Southern Water did it, while we were in the EU. Ryan Air did it , while we were in the EU and they're based in Ireland anyway who are of course, in the EU.

That doesn't make it right but it has bugger all to do with us leaving the EU.

As for the 48 hour Work Directive - I really can't remember the last time I saw a contract that didn't auto-opt the employee out anyway. A useless bit of legislation.

You never got back to me regarding health insurance. Were you confusing your annual travel policy with a private health care policy?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I spoke to the HMRC about something unrelated to Brexit a short while ago. I needed some advice, which wasn’t forthcoming. I said I had a concern as I needed the info to submit a return....he said he’d make a note on my account but not to worry too much as they were about 2 years behind chasing people up anyway. This was before Brexit. :thumbsup:

So say you're a small German brewery exporting its lager to the UK. You don't speak English and you already have to file your German VAT Return, payroll, corporation tax, auto-enrolment plus personal Tax Returns. Why the f**k would you then register for UK VAT and have to deal with UK HMRC in a language you don't understand, possibly run a UK £ bank account too?

And how many German accountants are going to want to take on the work of preparing a UK VAT Return every 3 months and be responsible for all compliance surrounding that VAT registration, stay abreast of the UK VAT legislation, VAT rate changes etc? It is low value, pain in the ass bookkeeping work, the sort of chore no tax agent would want to be lumbered with - dealing with domestic VAT is bad enough.

This trading arrangement is heavily in favour of big business who have an accounts department to deal with this stuff, but God help the small farmer, brewer, cheesemaker, dressmaker who have to deal with this bureaucracy. I can see it choking businesses big time.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The (small) things I send out as a private seller have been fine - just extra customs declarations which I'm used to doing for non-EU countries.

But it's true that retailers in the EU have not been keen to sell to the UK. I occasionally buy some stationery products from https://www.deskstore.com/en/about-deskstore.html because I accidentally committed to the Swedish hole punch system 25 years ago (a long and uninteresting story) - and currently they won't ship to the UK (but will to the Isle of Man, so hopefully it can be worked out, as the IoM has never been in the EU).

I would guess that people in the UK who buy online are doing so from the UK where they can. But for some things - like Swedish stationery - it may take a while to sort out the system. I wouldn't be surprised if a few things changed over the next couple of years for UK imports, not the other way.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Stop being woke
Regards
DF

It's obviously never occurred to you that being a Scrounging, Anti-Semitic, Racist, Homophobic, Glorifyer of football violence, Holocaust denying, Nazi apologist, trolling **** is not a good place to start, when telling people what to do :dunce:

Maybe you should get back to those crayons, they won't chew themselves :lolol:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
It's obviously never occurred to you that being a Scrounging, Anti-Semitic, Racist, Homophobic, Glorifyer of football violence, Holocaust denying, Nazi apologist, trolling **** is not a good place to start, when telling people what to do :dunce:

Maybe you should get back to those crayons, they won't chew themselves :lolol:
Go and have a (small) Baileys, it's Friday and time to relax GAP.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Im aware craft brewers are finding the going tough with exports. Cloudwater, one of the bigger and more established companies, have suspended sales to the EU. If they’re struggling I can only assume breweries smaller than them are....and this is on top of the pandemic. Fuerst Wiacek, in Berlin, have stopped sales to the U.K. as well. The U.K. is a small market compared to the EU bloc so they are not too fussed....but the reverse for Cloudwater must hit them hard.

Oh dear, I will have no choice but to buy lots of lovely cloudwater beer... you know, just to do my bit. :drool:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Tell that to the bankrupt fisherman.

Strange times....

Enough of your crocodile tears ..

fisheries_2020_1.jpg

Quick question for the 5th column collective, where was all the concern for fisherman when they were bemoaning the often devastating impact of the Common fisheries policy?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here