Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Wood Burners - price and installation advice

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Thats what they all say. :flypig:

They all have long exterior flues, going up to the apex of the roof, but the wind swirls it around and when you go out the front door there is a strong stench of smoke. It can set my asthma off. It's only been recent years that this has happened, it makes no sense why people buy them. Seems like a materialistic reason only imo.
Can you tell me what their benefits are?

I had one installed late last year, with the current and predicted future cost of energy I think it was a sound and fortunate move. I did already have the burner bought many years ago so it was something I had been meaning to get around to.

I have enough logs for the next 2 heating seasons stacked up around the house and collect pine cones for kindling so I should be free of the majority of heating costs until this madness blows over.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I had one installed late last year, with the current and predicted future cost of energy I think it was a sound and fortunate move. I did already have the burner bought many years ago so it was something I had been meaning to get around to.

I have enough logs for the next 2 heating seasons stacked up around the house and collect pine cones for kindling so I should be free of the majority of heating costs until this madness blows over.

Are you sure? Roughly speaking, my wood store is about 32 cubic metres so kind of like decent size bedroom, when full I'd expect that to last us 1.5 season....

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
I have a traditional1 yard by 1 yard Victorian styled fireplace and there is a wee 4kw log burner unit called 'The Hobbit'

https://www.stovesupermarket.co.uk/...9_YiXSxF0-XqkidTLnSQDpboy2C9slThoC9BsQAvD_BwE

that I got installed in 2020, cost me about £1600 incl a double sleeved liner about 12m long.

The unit is fabulous and sits perfectly in the fireplace. It is dual fuel but I only burn seasoned birch, beech and oak. It also only takes maximum 200mm length logs and there is an art to getting it going, which I have now mastered.

Would recommend and I reckon it saved me £300 last winter in gas costs, which this winter will be more like £800.

In my wee getaway cottage I have an Aduro Asgard 2 DEFRA approved 5kw unit

https://www.stovesupermarket.co.uk/...9_YiXSxF0-XqkidTLnSQDpboy2C9slThoC9BsQAvD_BwE

which is exceptional. Had it 6 years and it heats the whole wee cottage inside 1/2 hour when fired up.

Would recommend both and if you can get the water plumbed in at a sensible cost then using the excess heat to also heat your water in the winter months would seem a good idea. i don't have this feature but as the cost of heating a tank of water rises to over £1.50 a time, it would seem a good way to save on electricity / gas if it can be done.

TNBA

TTF

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Are you sure? Roughly speaking, my wood store is about 32 cubic metres so kind of like decent size bedroom, when full I'd expect that to last us 1.5 season....

I don't suffer from the cold so my heating season is probably a maximum of 120 days, I also travel on business so in reality perhaps 100 days.

It is a big detached property which I only heat about 1/4 of. My study is not in the heating range of the burner but I have 2 PCs and 3 screens running and a small fan heater for topping up if necessary.

If I light it mid afternoon I use 12 - 15 logs per day (I go to bed early and have an electric blanket) and I estimate I have 3000 to 4000 logs stacked and I will use the heating sparingly on extremely cold days.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can I bounce this thread please.

We have an open fire at the moment - but rarely use it - and am looking at installing a log burner. Might save cash long term....

Anyone had one fitted in the past 12 months or so and could recommended whoever they used....

Thanks

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Pellet burners are the big thing in Europe

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

We have an open fire at the moment - but rarely use it - and am looking at installing a log burner. Might save cash long term....

Anyone had one fitted in the past 12 months or so and could recommended whoever they used....

Thanks

We used Bolney stoves quite a few years ago so not recent but they were great. Be prepared for the final cost to be a LOT more than the stove itself. Ours was nearly double. Massive improvement on an open fire.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham

Thanks

I'm not sure the investment in a wood burner is necessary if you already have a working fireplace.

What advantage are you hoping for if you swap?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I'm not sure the investment in a wood burner is necessary if you already have a working fireplace.

What advantage are you hoping for if you swap?

More heat radiating into the room, rather than up the chimney.. also can be more efficient burning...IMO happy to be corrected,👍

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
More heat radiating into the room, rather than up the chimney.. also can be more efficient burning...IMO happy to be corrected,👍

Absolutely this - We moved in to our house with an open fire, constantly piling wood on to add a thimble of warmth to the room. Wood burner in and once up and running you're putting 1 log an hour on and it's very warm, much more efficient.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Absolutely this - We moved in to our house with an open fire, constantly piling wood on to add a thimble of warmth to the room. Wood burner in and once up and running you're putting 1 log an hour on and it's very warm, much more efficient.

Not just that. We used to get loads of heat into the room from our open fire (using coal mainly) - but as soon as it died down, then overnight and the next day before we lit it again, the chimney just took warm air out of the house, and let cold air in. Since we put the wood burner in two years ago, it has been noticeably warmer when we haven't got it lit. So - more efficient when on, and better when not on. Double win.

Also, a lot less dust in the living room. It was never big chunks of soot and so on - but just dusting the room, it's noticeable that it often doesn't actually need it now.

Bit torn about smokeless coal. It lasts longer, and space wise is a no brainer compared to wood. On the other hand it's 'coal' and therefore CO2 emissions are higher than wood (ie: not replaceable), but then again - particulate emissions are virtually nothing.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Bouncing this again as it sort of ties in with the 'saving money' thread......

We're just sorting our wood burner now - it's been recommended that we have a small 'fan' on the top to help circulate the heat - thoughts please (theory sounds good to me...)

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
We've got a wood burner...but stopped using it last year. It's an environmental and health disaster.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...particle-pollution-than-traffic-uk-data-shows

I really struggle with the current doom ladened view of wood burning stoves. More polluting than diesel trucks etc banded around seems ludicrous.

It was only a few years ago that biomass boilers were a necessity to get Part L approvement due to their zero carbon performance. Projects in London 'forced' to have these along with the transport emissions to ship in the fuel. Crazy stuff and now they are trying to condemn occasional use of wood burners. That was always a sh*t idea but that was the direction forced through, no doubt due to lobbying from biomass companies.

Stick tax on aviation fuel, stop building new cars right now (electric on not), use what we have and travel less, eat a predominantly vegetarian diet and see the benefits environmentally. But no, too difficult and this capitalist society cannot deliver meaningful change. The answer? Pick on something relatively irrelevant to whinge about so as being seen to care (Governments, not us poor saps that are 'governed' by fools)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here