Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Will the season be halted?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'm not sure about the Premier League being halted, but continuing with League One seems like a bit of a joke. Half their matches are getting postponed.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Although it is a big jump there were over 800 more tests carried out compared to the previous week. The percentage of positive tests is still below 2% in the PL compared to the UK daily average which I believe is around 15%. Obviously calls to pause the season will intensify if cases rise or certain players continue to act like bellends.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
If the season stops then it will have to be abandoned as there is no time in the schedule to restart it.
Financial disaster for all clubs.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The problem is they have very little wriggle room, the season is already crammed in as it is. Stop it and something has to give.

UEFA won't pull the Euros or the UCL / UEL
The Premier League will insist it has to finish
The FA won't want to pull their cups

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Might help if they all stopped gobbing and snotting all over the place every 2 minutes.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I think we can all expect that football itself will do nothing it doesn’t have to. Money talks and there’s a lot at stake.
Whether professional sports being exempt from being locked down sends a consistent message to the country (this one or any other) is another matter. I suspect there will be some point when public focus on them (partly fuelled by some players’ behaviour) reaches a “Dominic Cummings/Barnard Castle” moment. Then we might see a knee jerk response from government, which is after all their strength.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Might help if they all stopped gobbing and snotting all over the place every 2 minutes.

I said this to my Mrs the other day. It takes a special kind of intelligence to spend half the match gobbing all over the pitch and the other half rolling around in it.
Grealish's kit must be 90% phlegm after each game.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
40 more positive tests in the EPL in the past week. Doesn't sound encouraging.

Mainly due to some footballers think the law doesn't apply to them, it staggers me when people try to justify them breaking lockdown, I'd dock their wages, as a very minimum, if they weren't available for training / matches!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I said this to my Mrs the other day. It takes a special kind of intelligence to spend half the match gobbing all over the pitch and the other half rolling around in it.
Grealish's kit must be 90% phlegm after each game.

Its something thats irritated me long before COVID came on the scene, but in the current circumstances its not just revolting, its dangerous.

Footballers and mucus seem to go together like rhubarb and custard for some reason.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Mainly due to some footballers think the law doesn't apply to them, it staggers me when people try to justify them breaking lockdown, I'd dock their wages, as a very minimum, if they weren't available for training / matches!

I'm still staggered by how players have avoided wage cuts, in an industry where income has fallen through the floor. Wouldn't happen in any other sector, but I guess you could say that for football about a lot of things. Players do not live in the same world we live in sadly.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I don't think it helps that people confuse likelihood of obvious major complications from covid, with carrying and transmitting the disease. Like with school kids, there's been so much made of how little effect having covid will have on them - they're young, fit, they'll recover in no time, if they even display symptoms, that a lot of people seem to think there's no reason for them to be concerned about covid at all.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I would have thought a suspension is inevitable looking at the data across the uk. If 1 in 50 of us have this thing then a significant number of footballers will.

The Euros will definitely be cancelled I'd have thought. Can't see governments wanting fans traipsing across Europe until 2022.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here