Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley taken over

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Really don't understand why people have such a low opinion - guy is a good mid table PL manager as is Eddie Howe. Sometimes they roll the dice and get it wrong but both have shown that they are good and better than our current manager. Could we do better than those 2, possibly but would they come here?

Well they both have relegation from PL on their CV. Something Potter still has 20 odd games to avoid

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Dyche manages with what he has very well. I don't think anyone can criticise what he has done with consistently the lowest budget in the league. Would he fit in with our project? Not for me no. We are on a path of developing players to sell on while reinvesting that money into the squad to drive 1st team improvements incrementally to mitigate the levels of investment required and to bridge the gap between us and the bigger and better supported clubs in this league. This requires a hands on coach rather than a manager and means playing in a style akin to the bigger clubs to showcase the talent. Burnley play a strongly organised direct style based upon stifling their opponents and looking to score from set pieces or 2nd balls in and around the penalty area. They are very good at it but at least until now you sense the whole plan is survival in the PL and no more.

Rightly or wrongly we have decided to go a different route in an attempt to make long term gains in both league position and reputation/status of the club globally. Time will tell if this is genius or a pipedream but it does limit the sort of Managers/Head Coaches who would be able to work within the structure and would be wanted by the club. Potter is seen as a coach who improves players and who is prepared to play youngsters any replacement would need to have the same ethos...

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Well they both have relegation from PL on their CV. Something Potter still has 20 odd games to avoid

true about relegations but they also have promotions from very tough leagues on their CVs

Dyche has worked miracles on small budgets , not good play but winning

Howe has built attractive teams - spent a bit but his players have been sold on pretty well.

While we might have our dream what we don't want to do is trip over while we are focussed to far in the distance.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

The longer you are a manager outside of the top six - the shorter the odds of you getting relegated. Dyche has been a manager for 10 years - Eddie Howe for 12 years.

Potter has a dubious 7 years in Sweden, mostly in the lower leagues - a season with Swansea and a year and a half at Brighton.

Potter might turn out to be as good as the other two - but he is still a long way off.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
The longer you are a manager outside of the top six - the shorter the odds of you getting relegated. Dyche has been a manager for 10 years - Eddie Howe for 12 years.

Potter has a dubious 7 years in Sweden, mostly in the lower leagues - a season with Swansea and a year and a half at Brighton.

Potter might turn out to be as good as the other two - but he is still a long way off.

why are the swedish years "dubious" ?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
why are the swedish years "dubious" ?

He was supposed to have got the Swedes promoted on a shoe-string - but it later turned out that the club chairman was siphoning funds off of a municipal housing project and illegally funneling them into the club's coffers. £1.2m+ will have a big impact on a semi-pro team in the lower leagues in Swedish football. The chairman was later convicted of fraud and got three years in jail.

https://www.reuters.com/article/soccer-sweden/ex-chairman-convicted-of-fraud-over-swedish-soccer-club-ostersunds-funds-idUKL8N27L5BA

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I’m convinced the Barnes abuse must of only come from one section of the Amex, I certainly didn’t hear anything near what I’ve read on here.

The Barnes abuse only came from on here, half of them on here never been to an actual game.....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The Barnes abuse only came from on here, half of them on here never been to an actual game.....

I clearly and cringingly remember boos from sections of the Amex when he picked the ball up to take a penalty

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

All true but it’s a fact that Eddie & Sean have been relegated but GPott has not. Our manager, tinker man, coach, clueless idiot (however he’s identified given a personal POV) has 22 games to keep us in the PL.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
All true but it’s a fact that Eddie & Sean have been relegated but GPott has not. Our manager, tinker man, coach, clueless idiot (however he’s identified given a personal POV) has 22 games to keep us in the PL.

You are correct - on both counts.

However, that does not necessarily make him a better option than Dyche or Howe - both of whom have significantly more experience at managing at PL level.

And just to reiterate - I am not in favour of sacking Potter - and I have repeatedly stated, that while the jury is still out, I hope he becomes a major success at Brighton.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Their problem of course is now that it's known they've got a few quid in the bank, prices will rise extra-proportionately.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I would like to see how Dyche gets on in the transfer window with money to spend. As already said, he makes do with who he has at his disposal, he has done a good job with Burnley. The challenge will be who he buys and changing to an attractive style of play. Hopefully he is given that chance.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
I would like to see how Dyche gets on in the transfer window with money to spend. As already said, he makes do with who he has at his disposal, he has done a good job with Burnley. The challenge will be who he buys and changing to an attractive style of play. Hopefully he is given that chance.

Always an issue - money changes the dynamic of a squad and it takes time before it is clear whether it is positive or negative.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Do you think Dyche could deal with the extra transfer money, and will be be able to change to a better style of football, or are Burnley fans happy with his style?

It really is an open question - sometimes managers are horses for courses - change the environment and the results don't meet expectations. I don't think Dyche will go mad - he tends to buy solid squad players who can do a job in the PL - so I would expect a couple of signings to make up for the loss of Hendrick etc who weren't replaced - and like every other manager he might try and find a striker - Burnley have only scored 9 times this season. Only time will tell really.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The worry is that we don't know yet whether ALK are planning to put money into the club for transfers, or whether they plan to borrow money. We don't have any debt at present.

The other worry is that ALK have borrowed money to buy the club and put the shares in as security in an otherwise dormant company. Are they going to do what the Glazers did at Man U and take money out rather than put money in?

We hope that ex-Chairman Mike Garlick has more idea than to sell to the wrong people! Most of us are optimistic.

PS - Barnes cost £450,000. Dyche gave that figure in a post-match interview the following season. And Dyche does seem to have a better record with cheaper signings than with more expensive ones.
So it appears now, but may still be unconfirmed, that it's leveraged, and that ALK have fronted only about £15m of the kitty.
[MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION] does this look fishy at all? Has this template for a club purchase worked anywhere else (obvs there are a number where it has bombed)? Southampton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here