Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A question for all the pro potter fans on the board

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
I really hope if he stays that Potter turns it around as like all Albion fans I want us to stay up.

But a question for all the pro Potter fans

When would you call for him to be sacked if things did not improve ?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I would only call for him to be dismissed after one Covid free summer transfer window

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I really hope if he stays that Potter turns it around as like all Albion fans I want us to stay up.

But a question for all the pro Potter fans

When would you call for him to be sacked if things did not improve ?

Can’t really answer.....it’s not a ‘single issue’ decision for me - depends how bad things get. Too much more like the starting lineup yesterday and any credit he did have will be exhausted very quickly...........suspect it pushed a lot onto or over the fence so he’s now on very thin ice.

Beat Wolves - with some style - with a refreshed ‘first XI’ after that rotation and he’ll have bought himself quite a bit of time I guess. Lose, playing badly and things will go very toxic.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
It would depend upon the nature of it but yes is the short answer. No one has the god given right to the job and the future of the club is infinitely more important than Graham Potter. Issue as it stands is twofold a) has he got the players to succeed especially upfront? b) who would replace him and are they a better option?

If those questions were answered then yes I would be open to the idea. At the moment I don't see a better option and I don't think he has the striker options he should have.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
When the strategy stops creating good chances. Based upon the stats his strategy is working, clearly we have issues taking those chances. I suspect we need to build partnerships up front. The trouble is we don't seem have the players up to the task. We need a fit Welbeck to team up and mentor Maupay, and the same with Lallana in midfield with the likes of Mac and Trossard. Having these players in and out of the side is not helping.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Toxic or nay, being absent from the ground is massively alleviating any fan generated pressure... no one reads our ramblings, no one associated to the club will pay any heed to anything we might say on this forum... conjecture, hearsay, some would say heresy... it matters not. If we’d been in the stadium and results had been as is, I strongly suspect he’d be working to save his job over the coming glut of tough matches... as it is, he walks on a sea of mediocrity like the messiah untouched by the sharpened knives herein... I think our continued absence has addled his own sense of what’s acceptable, sometimes a chorus of boos can make a manager or break them... is he too close to the trees he sowed, to see the wood starting to decay and all turn to a sorry rot?

I think he’s here to stay, much like the crazed scientist in the blackhole ... doomed to be destroyed by the very thing he sought to master.

Our own, our very own Dr. Hans Reinhardt.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
If we were relegated and we were not pushing for a top 6 finish in the championship.

Potter is exactly the sort of manager that Bloom, Barber and Ashworth want. He plays a passing game and is brave at allowing youngsters to gain experience. I don't see who would be a better replacement for the club and that would continue to work towards their long-term goals

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
If we were relegated and we were not pushing for a top 6 finish in the championship.

Potter is exactly the sort of manager that Bloom, Barber and Ashworth want. He plays a passing game and is brave at allowing youngsters to gain experience. I don't see who would be a better replacement for the club and that would continue to work towards their long-term goals
Good god that sounds like painful viewing, plodding around mid table in the championship. Is it all part of the master plan??? :lolol:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
What intrigues me is this, if you took away the vast array of stats now available to all and sundry and looked at the job GP is doing based purely on results (you know, old school like) in particular our woeful ‘home’ form .... would people still be claiming he’s the only man for the Job? We’re in danger of becoming stats blinded... waving a bit of paper about, with PL chances created on it in the Championship seems like a very hollow ‘victory’ or measure of success to to me... but then again, clearly i’m odd for thinking results matter in a results based business.

People supporting GP blindly, sigh, ‘tis akin to discussing atheism with religious zealots, it’s only going one way... a good old fashioned burning.

Thus I give up.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My take is, not very surprisingly, that he should stay regardless if the team stays up or goes down, but it depends a little bit on how the spring looks. Going down with 25 points or 35 points are different things.

If Brighton stays up, results need to be more stable by christmas or he should go/get sacked. If Brighton goes down, the target should be top two but any less than top 6 and he should go/get sacked.

What intrigues me is this, if you took away the vast array of stats now available to all and sundry and looked at the job GP is doing based purely on results (you know, old school like) in particular our woeful ‘home’ form .... would people still be claiming he’s the only man for the Job? We’re in danger of becoming stats blinded... waving a bit of paper about, with PL chances created on it in the Championship seems like a very hollow ‘victory’ or measure of success to to me... but then again, clearly i’m odd for thinking results matter in a results based business.

People supporting GP blindly, sigh, ‘tis akin to discussing atheism with religious zealots, it’s only going one way... a good old fashioned burning.

Thus I give up.

"If you took away all context, would you still be fine with the results?"

No one is supporting anyone blindly even if you cant see the reasons. As for atheists vs religious zealots, both have fundamentalistic views and both of them go quiet when the agnostic enters the room.

Last edited:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
To answer the original question, as someone who can stomach a loss to the Arse, but not wilting in the recent six-pointers, 26 January 2021. If we lose at home to Fulham that'll be it. I accept that might be shocking timing what with the transfer window about to close soon afterwards.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane

Thus I give up.

Whilst I hear you I’d love you to have a “blinded by stats” debate with TB.

If he’d given up on trusting in stats he’d never have been a self made millionaire capable of investing £360m into the club.

Do you think he didn’t have moments where things went against him and he didn’t have to think carefully about doubling down or changing strategy to achieve success?

And that brings me back round to sounding like a broken record but it matters not a jot what we as fans think re GP it only matters what TB thinks and as we all know he didn’t sack Hyypia he fell on his sword so he’s unlikely to sack GP.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It's not just stats. Take them away and when you watch us you can see we are so close to being good. We lack a finisher and that will be the same with whatever manager you replace him with. All it could do is paper over the cracks for a few games. We need a longer term view. We are moving kids into the first team now, we either need to buy a striker it if we can't afford one make one.
We really aren’t close to being ‘good’. I don’t need to go any further than one point ten man Sheffield Utd.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Whilst I hear you I’d love you to have a “blinded by stats” debate with TB.

If he’d given up on trusting in stats he’d never have been a self made millionaire capable of investing £360m into the club.

Do you think he didn’t have moments where things went against him and he didn’t have to think carefully about doubling down or changing strategy to achieve success?

And that brings me back round to sounding like a broken record but it matters not a jot what we as fans think re GP it only matters what TB thinks and as we all know he didn’t sack Hyypia he fell on his sword so he’s unlikely to sack GP.
The vast majority of his wealth is earned from property here and in Australia.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I read somewhere that the most dangerous times are when you are playing well but still not winning, because then you are less likely to do something drastic enough to change things. I worry this is where we are now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here